Russel Rabbit Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
I'm not very good at looking at ingredients on pellets and deciding if they are good for them or not but I do know you should stay clear of the coloured pellets, I can only find coloured pellets in my area but I have found a bag I've been giving the rabbits the past couple of weeks that isn't too coloured and doesn't seem too bad, since I got Misty feeding them just veg has gotten expensive so I need to give them pellets a bit now. Could someone have a look at the ingredients and tell me if they are ok? They are no excellent pellet but if they are ok I'll feed them them but if they are terrible I won't.

Ingredients

Alfalfa, flaked peas, straw, flaked maize, oats, wheat and flaked wheat, locust bean, anise and fenugreek liquid, soya oil, vitamins and minerals, coloured with EC additives.

Typical Analysis

Protein 14.0%, Oil 2.5%, Fibre 14.0%, Ash 5.0%, Copper 10mg/kg, Vitamin A 10000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 1000 IU/kg, Vitamin E 50mg/kg

The fiber is awfully low. Also, looking at the ingredients, does this have seeds and stuff mixed in? There's a lot of carbs and those peas and beans aren't digested very well and can cause problems.

What else do you have available?

Awful stuff. They carry it here, and its pretty much all most pet stores sell for rabbits.

Should be banned!

(Yet oddly enough I was considering buying some for Pipp just the other day because she needs just a bit of stuff to grind down her teeth and some of those ingredients will at least do that).

sas :bunnydance:

The only other one there is the different petshops own brands that are all colours, have no ingredients on them and smell like fruity bubblegum with couldn't be good, for some reason they just don't sell the plain pellets. This is the best I could find.

I don't know what to do now, veggies are pretty expensive and it's hard to get everything right with veggies too.

What about farm stores? If people were to breed rabbits in your area, what where would they get their food?

If nothing else, that crud might be ok if you sort out all the non-pellet stuff.

irishbunny wrote:
I don't know what to do now, veggies are pretty expensive and it's hard to get everything right with veggies too.
If you have access to good grass hay, that's you best base diet. Just really limit the pellets, use them almost like a treat.

As for the veggies, carrot tops, beet greens, radish and celery leaves; the outter leaves or cores of lettuce, cauliflower and cabbage heads; brocolli, parsley and other stems, etc, can all be fed to rabbits with no cost.

sas :bunnydance:

naturestee wrote:
What about farm stores? If people were to breed rabbits in your area, what where would they get their food?

If nothing else, that crud might be ok if you sort out all the non-pellet stuff.
They don't supply any rabbit stuff in farm stores, there is no market for them because breeders here would really just have a breeding pair of rabbits or a few rabbits, they just buy the small bags of bubblegum crap in the petshops for 2.50 a bag.

They still get veg too during the day and I give them the pellets at night, plus hay and they eat grass when they are outside playing, I might try pick some grass when it starts growing again for them to have in their cages.

naturestee wrote:
Really? Even the meat breeders would buy the overpriced pet store stuff? That would never go over here.
We don't have meat breeders here, they eat wild rabbits, like we don't have the big meat rabbitries like in the states, I wish I could get the rabbit food in bulk like we do with the layers pellets for the chickens at the farm supply but I can't, they laughed when I asked.

Excel rabbit food That is the food I feed my rabbits it is expensive but I find The excel line brillent I also feed Excel guinea pig food to my guinea pig. There food is just plain brown pellets. It is dear though around €9 and lasts a week and a half for my 2 rabbits. Oh and I get this food in petmania.

paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
Don't have it where I am.

Just edited it to say were you can get it in Limerick.
I don't live in Limerick and I'm only ever there two or three times a year, it's way too far.

It's almost an hour away from where I live, there isn't a hope my parents would bring me all the way to get rabbit food. I buy my supplies in Ennis.

irishbunny wrote:
naturestee wrote:
Really? Even the meat breeders would buy the overpriced pet store stuff? That would never go over here.
We don't have meat breeders here, they eat wild rabbits, like we don't have the big meat rabbitries like in the states, I wish I could get the rabbit food in bulk like we do with the layers pellets for the chickens at the farm supply but I can't, they laughed when I asked.
i know! i found one to many snares in my area.

flashy is right.... could you order on line???

Flashy wrote:
Could you order online?
I asked before and they wouldn't let me but I'll ask again, they think that the websites will take all their money :blushan:

Would feeding them this food kill them?

Latest posts

Back