Rupert's tummy is making loud noises. RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f_j

Reaction score
We've noticed that Rupert's tummy has been making loud noises, this is the first time we've ever noticed this happening. Is this something we should worry about? Is there anything we should do? I'm worried because he had that bloat episode a couple of months ago (his tummy didn't make noises during that though).

From what I read, this is probably gas. Our vet isn't open and I called the emergency vets in our area, neither have simethicone. Do you think he'll be okay until tomorrow? I gave him a couple of short tummy rubs, but he keeps running away. He had a few poops that looked normal.

Hi!

Simethicone is to be found in a human pharmacyunder the name"Infa-col", as far as Europe is concerned. Any member from Canada, please advise if it's sold under the same name in your country. It's a white syrup-like substance for infant colic. So, you can go to a drug store to buy it, instead of a vet.

Continue the tummy rubs, in VERY gentle round movements from the end of the stomach down to his but. You can lift the hind legs a bit, because in this way the gas passes more easily. Don't do short tummy rubs, try as long as you can and repeat as many times as you can. Cut the veggies (if you feed him greens) and push more hay to him.

Try and tell us how he goes.

Marietta

My worst experience with tummy gurgling has been during Pipkin's bouts with diarrhea. Keep an eye on Rupert's poops.

I agree with Marietta...push lots of hay...cut anything that might agitate his tummy. Good luck with the rubs, too. None of my bunnies stand for that very long...but perhaps if the gas passes, Rupert will come to appreciate your efforts.

Keep us posted!

~Mary Ellen

The simethicone can't hurt him if you can get it from a local pharmacy. You can give him 1-2 ml every 2 hours. Keeping him warm (rice sock) and tummy rubs will help. So will letting him run around, keeps things moving.

Okay, thanks so much you guys, I found some at the pharmacy! Are ml and cc's pretty much the same? I have a syringe that has cc measurements on it....

I believe they are. Did the simethicone come with a dropper in it? Baby simethicone is what I use.

Okay we got 1cc into him. Thanks so much for your help everyone. I hope this works!!

f_j wrote:
Are ml and cc's pretty much the same? I have a syringe that has cc measurements on it....

cc and ml are the same. What I used in a similar case was 1.5 ml (40 mg/ml simethicone suspension) every hour forthefirst 3 hoursand then 1 ml every 3-8 hours.

Marietta

Hi Wilbur was having a slight gas problem on Friday. I gave him 2 doses of Ovol and used an electric tooth brush on his him. (No I didn't brush his teeth with it LOL) I had him wrapped in a towel and put the toothbrush by his tummy so he could get the vibration. I also walked around carrying him. It didn't take long and he was feeling better.

I hope Rupert feels better real soon.

Susan:)

Wow, I don't think Rupert would let me do that! I'm getting worried...he's had 2 doses of Simethicone and he still isn't eating. He didn't poop for a while, but he just had 3 or 4 poops that were just slightly smaller than normal.

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hi Wilbur was having a slight gas problem on Friday. I gave him 2 doses of Ovol and used an electric tooth brush on his him. (No I didn't brush his teeth with it LOL) I had him wrapped in a towel and put the toothbrush by his tummy so he could get the vibration. I also walked around carrying him. It didn't take long and he was feeling better.

I hope Rupert feels better real soon.

Susan:)

He's lying down all stretched out now, looking more relaxed...does that mean he's feeling better?

Just stretched out is, indeed, a relaxed position. However, if he also presses his tummy to the floor that means he feels discomfort from the gas.

Keep on with the simethicone doses, tummy rubs as much as you can and make him move, run, hop around. As advised by other members also, moving around helps with passing gas.

Is he eating his hay? Is he playful? Do you see signs of concern or are things becoming better?

Marietta

He just ate a piece of hay and drank some water! I think he's starting to feel better. He's also grooming himself. We've given him 2 doses of simethicone so far, so we'll probably do one more in a little while just to be safe. I just want to see some more poops!

On second thought, we may not need another dose. He is very active, drinking lots and eating hay and a papaya tablet. He pooped some small poops and one big blob of poop. I think he'll be okay...thanks so much to everyone for their help. I don't know what I'd do without this forum!

He just had a bunch of really mushy poops. I think this is normal since his digestive tract slowed down for a while...is that correct?

Glad to hear Rupert is doing ok! Yeah, usually aftera bout of gas the first few poops will be mushy or mucous covered.

Just try to keep him drinking and eating lots of hay. :)

It depends on what the "big blob of poop" was. I mean that if this big (how big?) poop is also abnormal in shape and, if you break it, you see that it contains ingested hair, it could be difficult to pass, blocking, thus, the poop following it. Gas can adversely affect the intestinal flora, so the mushy poops indicate exactly this: an inbalanced situation in your bunny's guts.

Keep on the hay, don't give any veggies until the mushy poops (they are not cecotrops, right?? Cecotrops are just like a grape bunch, are extremely soft, green, smelly and, sometimes, jelly-like) stop appearing. Are they mushy or diarrhea-like?

Is he now eating a lot of hay? Does he continue to have an appetite?

Marietta

Thanks Haley. He's definitely pigging out on hay right now, so that should help.

The big blob of poop was a mushy poop with a few normal-ish poops stuck to it. That was earlier, now he's passed more mushy poop (not cecals, I'm familiar with what they look like and these were different). He's eating lots of hay right now and is active. Thanks for your help!

Marietta wrote:
It depends on what the "big blob of poop" was. I mean that if this big (how big?) poop is also abnormal in shape and, if you break it, you see that it contains ingested hair, it could be difficult to pass, blocking, thus, the poop following it. Gas can adversely affect the intestinal flora, so the mushy poops indicate exactly this: an inbalanced situation in your bunny's guts.

Keep on the hay, don't give any veggies until the mushy poops (they are not cecotrops, right?? Cecotrops are just like a grape bunch, are extremely soft, green, smelly and, sometimes, jelly-like) stop appearing. Are they mushy or diarrhea-like?

Is he now eating a lot of hay? Does he continue to have an appetite?

Marietta

Back