Rupert's tummy is making loud noises. RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

I seem to be having the same problem with Bandit since last night. He isn't eating but he is pooping and peeing.

I just gave him some Ovol. I'm hoping that'll help. Any other suggestions would be great. I unfortunately don't have an electric toothbrush so I can't do the vibrations suggestion. He isn't active at all. He's being quite lazy.

Crystal

Hi!

You don't need to have an electric toothbrush, do the tummy rubs and follow the advice cited in this thread and similar ones (unfortunately, there were quite a few cases of gas bouts recently), in case you suspect it's gas (a rumbly tummy is a good indication).

If you are not sure, mind you that there are a lot of other reasons for which a rabbit stops eating and that when this point is reached, the health of the bunny can deteriorate in no time. So, till a vet visit sorts out what the problem is, keep him eating, hand feed him, give him his favourite food, stimulate his appetite with any herbs he likes or even syringe feed him. Please also go to the library section here, there are articles related to gas, syringe feeding, critical care, etc.

Marietta

Hey Crystal! Is his tummy making loud gurgling noises? That's what indicated it was gas with Rupert. I gave him Simethicone (one for babies, called Little Tummys) and a little while after his second dose he seemed to feel better. I rubbed his tummy as best I could too...although he didn't let me do it for long. I hope Bandit feels better soon!

Is he taking treats? That's usually the sign for me to start giving Simethicone and tummy rubs.I just hold Charlie or Misty and rub their tummy gently. They seem to enjoy it when they are not feeling well.

Make him run around if you can.It helps break up gas if that's what it is.

If he's still pooping and peeing, that's good, but keep watching him just in case. If he hasn't eaten in 24 hours, then you'll likely need to start syringing some food/water. Do you have any Critical Care or pedialyte on you? If he's peeing, then he's getting fluids (maybe he is drinking in secret?? Sneaky buns)... I would only really worry if you see everything stop.

Thanks guys!
Well I took him to the vet tonight. She seems to think it's gas, so he's been getting his gas medicine and I got some more Critical care to give him. He wasn't dehydrated or anything when she checked him which is good.(I do have pedialyte on hand just in case though) I gave him his stuff tonight and he was comming around a little more (not hiding out in his cottage) so that's a good sign. I rubbed his tummy for quite a while before taking him to the vet, he seemed to actually enjoy it, which is strange comming from a Bun who does not like to be held. But I will keep ya posted in the morning.

Crystal

Just thought I'd update everyone about Bandit this morning. He's back to him old self again. Waiting for his papaya this morning and ate his pellets. So the meds he got last night worked great. Glad my boy has bounced back!

(Scary thought,I wasscared andsick over my Bunny, who ofcourse is one of my babies and always will be, butwhat's gonna happen if this baby of mine gets sick??? Panick! LOL)

Crystal

Crystal, I'm so glad Bandit is feeling better! It is scary when they are sick and not being themselves. At least you're getting practice before your baby arrives! :)

Thanks! Yea he gave me a scare. Bunnies are funny how they just bounce back to them oldselves in less then 24 hours. I'm so glad he's feeling him oldself again!

Crystal

Back