Runt or peanut?!?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

knkibbons1

Reaction score
I need help figuring out if one of my new little guys is a runt or a peanut. This is only the second litter we have had and it was the momma’s first litter. She had 6, which I know is a large litter! Two of them passed at or very shortly after birth. However one of the survivors is very small. I’m hoping he’s just a runt but I’m not sure.

Attachments

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
What breed rabbit is s/he? If it is a dwarf breed or Holland lop then it is probably a peanut, but if it is a different breed it is probably a runt. Make sure the baby is getting enough to eat. So cute!

knkibbons1

Reaction score
Mom and dad both are Rex and lop mix. I am making sure he gets an extra feed just him and mom at least once a day.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
How much do the parents weigh? Since they have lop in them maybe s/he is a peanut. Based on his/her face I am starting to think that s/he is a peanut. There is a chance s/he will live, though it is slim.

knkibbons1

Reaction score
Mom and dad are both only about 7-8 months old. Mom weighs about 2 lbs and dad is about 2.5-3.

Preitler

Loony bunny guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A peanut can only happen if both parents are true dwarfs.

knkibbons1

Reaction score
I’m not sure if they are or not. I’m still fairly new at rabbits unfortunately and still learning. Here is a picture of mom and dad if that helps. The black one is dad and wouldn’t come out of his cage for me to get a good photo. Mom is the brown and white.

Attachments

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
Those look like Netherlands dwarf rabbits/Dutch. The baby is probably a peanut because of how tiny the parents are.

bunnylove2024

Reaction score
I think it is just a runt. Penuts have enlarged heads and smaller bodies but it doesn't seem to look like that, Runts just tend to be a lot smaller. Also if it is still alive... it is defintly a runt, penuts tend to die in the first few hours. They are cute though!

knkibbons1

Reaction score
Ok thank goodness!!! I have been so very worried about it, I believe they are at least a few days old, she did a good job of keeping them hidden, and probably still would be if I hadn’t heard a squeak while feeding yesterday.

HAPPYHOLLANDS

Reaction score
I will definitely post more of all the babies tomorrow after I home!! They are so cute and I just can’t get enough of them either
I have had a peanut live till it was 5 days. I have had a runt live to 12 days and I have right now a runt that is 2 weeks and 2 days and he looks great. Runts can still not live you have to either have a great mom, or feed extra with mom and with goats milk or kitten milk replacer with no sugar heavy cream. I feed the runt I have now for about a week, with goats milk and extra with mom. If you send more pictures I can help more. Would you like me to send pictures of the runt I have now and previous pictures of the peanuts?

bunnylove2024

Reaction score
My runt is now 3 years old, he got feed with a bottle until 6 weeks, he had kittens milk with the no sugar heavy whipping cream in it like happyhollands said. It took a lot of work but he is healthy now! Do you think it is a runt or peanut @HAPPYHOLLANDS ?

bunnylove2024

Reaction score
The parents look like Dutch mixes, which would mean that it could only be a runt because neither of them would be true dwarfs because they are mixed.

HAPPYHOLLANDS

Reaction score
My runt is now 3 years old, he got feed with a bottle until 6 weeks, he had kittens milk with the no sugar heavy whipping cream in it like happyhollands said. It took a lot of work but he is healthy now! Do you think it is a runt or peanut @HAPPYHOLLANDS ?
It is a Runt. The longest I have heard I peanut live is 13 days. But he is probably still smaller then his siblings because they never really catch up fully. I have holland lops

bunnylove2024

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what i think. He might have a chance catching up though if the right measures are taken.

Latest posts