Runny Eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I be worried???

• Don't worry.

• Take her to the vet.

Results are only viewable after voting.

megan33

Reaction score
Hi! I am new to Rabbits Online and I hope that this site will be very helpful!:wave:

This morning when I went to get my bunny, Gracie, out of her cage, both of her eyes were runny and one of them was stuck together, but only for a couple of minutes. I took a warm, wet towel and gently applied it to theeye. Eventually, her eye opened, and she seemsfine now. She is NOT coughing/sneezing. Her eyes have been runny for about a week, but she is shedding (sp?), and they usually run when she is shedding. After reading some informational sites, I am really worried for the health of my bunny!:shock: Any suggestions on what I should do?:? The discharge is think, sticky, and white-ish. Thanks for all your help! :bunnydance:

I think with a discharge like that she should go to a vet, but I'm no expert. I just like to play it on the safe side.

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. This morning, her right eye looks a lot better, but her left eye (the one that has the discharge) looks just a little better. The discharge is not longer on her eye, it is sort of around her eye. I tried to put warm compresses on it, but she wasn't having any of it! :grumpy:I'll probably call the vet within the next day if it doesn't get better! Thanks! :bunnydance:

I'll try to upload a picture from my phone, but I'm not sure if I can.

I wasn't able to upload a picture of her eyes, but I called the vet and they suggested that I bring her in asap! Gracie has an appt. at 4:30...please pray for her! :pray:I am really worried!!! :tears2:I will update everyone on her condition as soon as I know something! I don't think I've said, but Gracie is 3 years old and I believe she is a dwarf rabbit...I do know she is lopped eared (sp?)!:) Thanks for all your kind advice!

Agreed with prev posters. It's something you need to get treated by a vet. Conjunctivitis requires aggressive antibiotics. Ideally you should get something for her to take orally or have injected--topically applied to the eye alone won't cut it.

If the vet just wants to put her on an eye drop, say that's not enough. Also if steroids are applied to the eye and there is any cut/ulceration in the eye, the cut can get much worse. If the eye drop has steroids in them (they usually end in -isone), they need to test the eye with a dye for ulcers.

Ideally, I'd like to see her on something like zithromax or chloramphenicol (both oral), or penicillin G benzathine/procaine or convenia (both injectible). Just oral Baytril won't cut it.

Thanks you so much pp! That is really helpful! Our vet is wonderful when it comes to Gracie! I just hope she has seen this before and knows how to treat it! I will try to get her to give my bun an oral or injected antiobiotic. Should I ask for an eye drop as well as an antiobiotic??? :?

I think both would be fine, as long as there aren't steroids in them. Pain meds may be useful too, like Metacam.

Pain meds? Is she is pain? I don't want her to be in pain!!! :shock: So you are saying NO to steriods, right??? I'm sorry for asking sooo many questions, I just want my bun to have the right treatment to get this eye problem solved! Thanks!

Yup, no to steroids. Eye infections can be pretty painful, but you'd probably be able to tell how bad she feels. A bunny in pain will sit hunched up in the corner, and may grind its teeth (not like a happy tooth purr).

She isn't grinding her teeth, but she is laying around more than usual...:( I will make sure to tell the vet NO steriods and an antiobiotic! Thanks for your great advice!

So, Gracie and I just got back from the vet and the news isn't quite what I expected! :disgust: I am supposed to have her back to the vet tomorrow morning and they are going to but her under anesthesia so they can get a good x-ray. The vet really thinks her runny eyes and dirty bottom are a symptom of long roots. I really figured it was an infection, but idk. Is this issue better than an infection? The vet gave Gracie a pain shot and she also said that Gracie will be on pain meds for the rest of her life, granted it is a tooth problem! What are your opinions on this? :?

Usually, a runny eye due to long tooth roots causes clear discharge from the eyes, not whitish. If it is a tooth root problem, there are ways to fix that, not just to give pain meds for the rest of her life--they'll extract the teeth.

If the discharge from the eyes is whitish and goopy, I think conjunctivitis is much more likely.

I questioned the whitish discharge and she (the vet) said that bunnies eye discharge, along with urine and poo, are different from rabbit to rabbit. I wasn't quite sure though. She is having an x-ray in the morning, so I guess we'll see from that.

Mkay. An x-ray won't hurt, in fact it may help determine if there are any tooth root problems that could be causing this, although from your description I think it's more likely to be bacterial. It could also look for abscessed infections in the head area, which could be putting pressure on the eyes some. I personally would rather do a swab and culture/sensitivity test to determine if it's an infection--you can usually see the bacterial cells on a slide made from swabs of the area--because that would be cheaper, but your vet must have her reasons to do an x-ray first.

She kept feeling under Gracie's chin, so maybe she felt something. I will ask tomorrow, again, about any possible infection! Thanks for all your help!

My experience with vets and also from Randy is that steroids should not be used initally ; sometimes they are used when a bun is not responding to antibioitcs and has a chronic issue but the vet should not pull out steroids and use them initally for an eye infection. Steroids weaken the ability of the bun to fight infection.

Weam not saying that steroids are bad just that they should only be used with caution and forethought.

I didn't read all the way down so my post is really not appropriately placed.
I actually think that it's a good idea to do the x-rays; the vet seems to have a knowledge of rabbits which is a goodsign...whitish discharge could still be a bacterial infection caused bytooth root problems.
i would go for it...

Pain meds for the rest of her life? That isn't right at all. I would love to take a gander at the x-rays.....ask if they are digital.....if so, they can be e-mailed and maintain resolution.

Not only molar roots but lower arcade spurs can cause this condition. And I suspect the reason your vet wants an x-ray is to see if there is any soft tissue problems....meaning an abscess.....in the upper arcade. The first presentations of a skull abscess are ususally a runny eye.

Randy

Latest posts

Back