Rude/Inaccurate conversation with vet tech

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernAutumn

Autumn - Administrator
Reaction score
A twee bit frustrated here...
I just called up to a local clinic (recommended by an ROer, as always:) and had a frustrating conversation with someone who I understand is a vet tech..
I was asking about the parameters of spaying Evie... I asked about how long they want the rabbit to be fasted beforehand.
She goes, "They come in at 7:30 am. Start fasting at 12 midnight"

Me: "It was my understanding that rabbits weren't to be fasted that long, due to their sensitive digestive systems. The last clinic I was at only asked for food to be taken away 2 hours before..."

She: "We don't want them to regurgitate."

Me: I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's not what I've read. What is your experience with rabbits?

She: "I'm the one who knows more about bunnies, I've been breeding and showing for years."

Point-blank. She doesn't even know who is on the other end of the line! I could be a very experienced rabbit person!

I asked about post-surgery op. "Keep them quiet when they get home, that's all you need to know."

Ok, so am I totally off my rocker? Considering they probably won't do the surgery until about 9-10 when the vet gets in, I don't believe that my bun should be deprived for 9-10 hours without food or water!!!
I don't even think rabbits puke, for pete's sake...

So, do I find another spot, or do I go with this, and hope the vet is more polite? Polite aside, is this girl full of crap?

I have had many bunny's Spayed/Neutered and I have never fasted any of them. My vet says to continue to feed them all night. Your right bunnies can't puke.

For Post-Op I think they are to be quiet for a bit so they don't hurt the stitching. I could go back and read the post notes. Ok so the notes I got from the vet for a Spay in 01 is to restrict to a small area in the house for the next 5 to 7 days. Try to keep him quiet and avoid any excess exercise.

hope this helps

She didn't refer to any post-op pain meds either :grumpy:.
Am seriously doubting the validity of anything that person says. What if the vet is like this too????

(Thanks Luvr, I was thinking I'd put Evie and Stu in the same large bun cage with no floors, and a layer of Yesterday's news on the bottom, to restrict activity (but keep the bond))

I never got any post pain meds after surgery. I think they only prescribe it, it they notice the bun is hurting, but they usually do good and don't need it.

I think i friend in North-Bay. I will have to ask her what vet she went to. If that's where she is. I know she's in Ontario for sure.

If I were you I'd call the clinic back and ask to speak directly to the vet who will be doing the spay. It could be that the person you were speaking to doesn't have the rabbit knowledge that the vet would(should) have, and may need to be educated by the vet.

When I took Yofi in to be neutered the vet told me that *if* one of the techs who worked the front desk recommended withholding feed, then to let her know I wouldn't be doing so, and why. He said that they do withhold feed an hour or two before surgery, but definitely not overnight, and they encourage eating as soon as bunny is awake and alert post-op. But he had run into a few cases of staff asking rabbit owners to withhold their rabbits' dinners, because it is such common practice to do so with cats/dogs. The ones who gave out the info were generally new to the surgery and simply didn't know.

when i had cookie neutered i was asked to keep food with him at all times and it didnt mater as your NOT spoused to fast them. they even asked me to bring his food with him

he had food all night and morning befor he went.. now mind me he didnt eat much out there since his bowl wasnt touched hardly after te surgery

i also was not asked to fast my buns.

as for pain meds, they gave some to fred when he got neutered, but it was only for three days.

oh and like everyone said, restrict exercise, like don't let her leap up on the sofa or do anything extra strenous. its like if you got surgury,the doc would want you to rest and heal before you start exercising.

i hope everything works out!

I had some what of the same experience when i was going to get my buns pspayed and nutered, i had to inform someone higher up of the information that was given to me by the person on the phone. They were told about it and it was corrected, thankfully i knew better and did what was right, but someone needs to be told that will correct her.

As far as pain meds i told them that i wanted pain meds and they gave me pain meds, sometimes you have to tell them what you want rather then letting them tell you.

Wow!

Yeah, if you are going to phone again, ask to speak directly to the vet and inform him of the misinformation that the vet tech is giving out. If the rabbits are fasted 12 hours before, then by the time they eat (sometimes can be a day or so for spays) it just prolongs the time where they haven't eaten. Definitely no fasting other than an hour or so before.

I didn't get pain meds to take home for any of my guys. They get a long lasting one at the vet, and that's usually good. Neuters by the time they get home they usually start perking up, but takes a day or so for females to start eating. Some people disagree, but my girls were fine by the second day without pain meds, and recovered fine.

Just keep her quiet in a clean cagewith lots of her favourite foods available. Also avoid letting her jump or run around too heavily for a week or so after the spay, just so she doesn't injure herself.

Wow, I would be frustrated too! I was told to NOT fast my buns when they were fixed. They put that on the reminder card they sent me in the mail and even called me the day before to remind me to keep feeding them and to make sure that they had food with them when I brought them in. As for pain meds, Alaska was sent home with some because spays are so much more invasive, but Gixxer wasn't given any. He didn't need any anyway, as soon as the sedative wore off you would have never known that he had gone through surgery the day before!

I agree with Spring, talk to the vet directly and let them know what the tech is telling people. Use their reaction as a gage to see if that is someone that you would want to trust your bun to. I chose Alaska's vet because she was the only one who took the time to talk to me directly instead of passing me off to a vet tech.

The only reason I called this place was b/c another ROer had given the clinic where I got Stu and Slatey done a poor review; she suggested that this one was the better one in my area.
The person on the phone said that she had been working there for over 16 years:?...

Will call again tomorrow. I'm kind of scared to ask to talk to the vet directly (small town, would indicate that I don't trust this other person's judgement... yeah, bit of a wuss, but I can do it...)

2 other issues come to mind:

1) Evie is still very small. She is probably about 2 pounds. WIth her dutch markings, I assumed she'd turn out to be a bigger bun, but she doesn't seem to have grown much so far... Is she too light to spay?

2) How do I keep the bond between her and Stuart safe? I've already asked if I could bring Stu along (yes). What happens after the fact? There's no humping between them ever, but am wondering if he might try to clean up her stitches for her :?.

BTW, I called this vet, b/c I feel confused sometimes when I go to the vets where I got Stuart and Slatey snipped. I didn't mind so much, b/c a neuter is more external, but I'm worried that if I don't understand the guys there, they will not slow down for me (They are nice Indian gentlemen, who tend to talk really fast, and don't often slow down... I chose them, b/c they have the lowest prices in the area (am a student))) and explain stuff.

The RO member who took her rabbit there (to my usual vet) reported a complete misdiagnosis, which made me feel pretty leery about going back... maybe it was under different management when she was there... My boys came thru OK, but now I'm second-guessing it... I know spays are a lot more complex...

I just don't want somebody to spay Evie, to have her die b/c her body is too small to cope with the drugs. I'm worried about the new vet's office I just called, b/c their senior staff was so frustrating; but I'm now apprehensive about my regular vet b/c of the RO member's opinion (which I'm sure is valid...)
:ponder:

I don't recommend fasting.
I feed & watermy bunnies right up until I pack 'em up in the carrier in the morning.
I also take food, water, bowls, etc., to the vet.

With that said....here's a few items for thought:

After 24 hours,not eating and/ordrinking could be compromising to the bun's systems.

They'llrecover from surgery faster if they continue eating until just before they are anesthetized.

A healthy bun will be okay for several hours without food or water. I'm not saying that it's a good thing to do....but they'll be okay.

My last transport took over 6 hours from pick up to drop off, and he didn't drink or eat the entire time (that would be Wyatt:p). He had access to food and water...just too many distractions.

Chippy went the whole day at the vet, 9 to 5, ...and she didn't eat or drink.
She's not comfortable eating or drinking unless she's home in the security of her own cage/pen.

It can take several days for theirGI tract to become totally empty, and even if you remove your bun's food, they will continue to re-ingest their cecals.

There's no reason to fast a rabbit before surgery at all, I personally feel it just adds to their stress levels and makes recovery slightly harder.

Also, and once again, just my opinion, I would make sure to contact that new vet one-on-one and tell them exactly how this tech treated you and mis-informed you. I can't imagine that this person really has the rabbit experience they claim, otherwise she would have known better than to make a statement like that. Surely the vet would want to know, because this person's behavior reflects on the vet that employs her.

I don't think your over-reacting at all :?!
I would speak to the vet and hopefully he or she is much more knowledgeable than that vet tech.

That doesn't even make sense since rabbits can't even throw up :shock:.

Thank you all for your quick responses. I was pretty mad, so thanks for letting me know my frustration was justified:D.
I'll call the vet office again on Monday, and ask to speak with the vet. Hopefully, she'll talk to me...

From all the sources that I've read, a rabbit is never to be fasted for a long period of time prior to surgery because they're physically incapable of regurgitating (or at least they are in most cases).

I would run as fast as I could from a vet clinic that employs a vet tech. who's so puffed up on herself and who clearly knows so little about a species thatshe claims to breed. :shock:

Jenk

Sorry you aren't getting the answers you want. That's always frustrating. :(

I'm thinking you might be referring to my comment about the complete misdiagnosis (since I made acomment like this about a North Bay vet)- and if that's the case; it wasn't related to a spay/neuter. And if it is my comment, my experience with this vet tainted my opinion of the practice, but that doesn't mean I think they are completely unqualified for some things.

I think it's great that you are asking questions. It shows how much you care about your bunnies. If you can, definitely speak to the vet to get some reassurance. Some techs sometimes just give standard answers. And if the vet won't call you, you can always ask the tech to double check and call you back if necessary.

The North Bay Animal Hospital may have better answers. When my bun had to be put under for a tooth issue, they advised no pellets after midnight, but he could still have hay (they wanted the least gunk possible in his teeth). Although, I must mention we lost him when they put him under, but that is likely more of a freak-thing than anything else. I continued to go there for a while after that.

I haven't had a bunny spayed/neutured in North Bay though, so I can't say for sure.

No matter what you do, good luck.

I heard that rabbits dont need to be fasted, since they can't throw up, but at least 2 hours of no eating/drinking would be fine, but not that long!!

Rabbits can't regurgitate (isn't that like throwing up?)

Emily

yeah its the same thing emi. I had know idea that some vets had you fast them. At least now I know its not neccesary.

Hiya, I would not be to worried about your rabbit being small nethies generally are around 2lbs when they get spayed/neutered and I have had many done now with no problems at all. I always feel the main point is getting a vet that is used to rabbits.

My first rabbit was neutered around 9 years ago now and I will admit at that point they did say take the food away from them about 2 years later they started saying dont take your rabbit off food for any op even teeth.

On this I would say go with your gut feeling if you were happy using the vet you went to before and you don't feel so comfortable with this one after the advise you were given then do what you feel is best :hug:

Back