Rude/Inaccurate conversation with vet tech

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so I haven't been called back yet. When I phoned and had that ridiculous conversation on Friday, I had asked about weight and hormonal issues resulting from Evie's pseudopregnancy a few weeks ago. She said she'd call me back with the info.

I've waited 3 business days, and I don't think I will wait any longer. I called the Callander folks once at the end of August to ask very similar questions, and the staff didn't call back that time either... That's twice now.

After visiting my regular vet this AM, and having him check Evie out, I feel that he can probably do a competent spay. He says her weight is fine, and she is about a year old... Apparently they've done 20 spays this year, with no losses. I've tentatively scheduled her spay for the 29th...

One more question guys,(and this is going to sound really bad...)
If for some reason Evie dies during/just after the operation... do I have to pay for the spay?
Reading about so many rabbits on RO that didn't pull through this year has me very worried. I know that it's unlikely that she'll die.. but what happens if they do kill my girl? What then?
(Boy, I wasn't this wound up when the boys got neutered...too much reading???)

OK... I'm an idiot with an out-of-date phonebook....:embarrassed:
Dr. Teresa has set up her own practice in the last 2 years. She is now the Shannondale Clinic in Callander...
Hence, I had a completely stupid conversation with a different vet office!:banghead

Called Dr. Teresa today. Her front desk said:
2 hours off feed before surgery starts; Incision surgery (not lasar) isofluorane gad, post-op pain meds, likely metacam, dissolvable sutures, OK to spay w/o exam (cause I did one this AM); can bring Stuart along too; willing to research other pain management strategies;
Fantastic phone customer service!

The only negative was that she hasn't done a spay in the last 2 years, and did one neuter last year...
I asked why I should jump vets from my current vet. Front desk staff said that my current vet specializes in exotics, so they get more buns going through their office (20 in the past year).
$227 (incl tax) vs. $184(tax in ) at my regular vets.

So guys... what do you think now?

(Seriously, sometimes my blonde roots show...)

1 go with the vets that is more competent in spays 20 is def. better than none!!

2 the only rabbit i know of that did pass away the owner didn't have to pay for.

3 deep breaths chances are slim of it happening and although a few have passed from this this year if you tot up how many have been done versus ones that didnt make it then the %odds def. go in favour of getting it done and her being ok :)

:hug:

I agree with everyone, no problem with her being small. My Lucy is only about 2 lbs and she was fine.

I would be a little nervous about using a vet that hasnt done a spay in 2 years. Are you anywhere near Toronto? Theres a few vets out that way that do spays. Or, do you have any rabbit rescues near you? Often they can recommend a good vet.

I also wanted to add that while spays are risky, Ive had 7 girls done and all have come through with flying colors. So while it is a possibility, its not common if you have an experienced vet. Hope that eases your mind a bit :)

Thanks everyone for all of the messages;
I've been thinking it over, and I think I'll stick with my original vet (the one with 20 spays this year) for this go-round.
However, if a disease issue crops up, I'll take it to Dr. Teresa (at the correct clinic:p) if I'm not pleased with the reponse from my vet.

So... Evie is set to go on October 29th. Please say bunny prayers for her!!

Thanks again for all your time; I :hearts my RO buddies!

:bunnyheart - Evie sez thanxz too yuz too!

Latest posts

Back