Rocket, Emily and Bennie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Kewl

Reaction score
MI382.7827960-2-x.jpg

This is a picture of Emily (in the foreground) and Rocket (behind) fromMidwest Rabbit, but now they are in our house and in a pin.They seem to be happy munching the hay box I made and in their littlehouse I made them as well. They are in a standard NIC pin,but I will be making a NIC condo when I get some free time.

Here is the link to their Petfinder:http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7827957

Thanks to Dominique and Rochelle at Midwest Rabbit for taking the timeto help us pick our new bunnies. Now hopefully I can prymyself away so I can get enough sleep for work tomorrow. :p

I will take pictures after they get situated a bit more.

Chris

P.S. I really should get to bed... I took a few pictures of the cage and bunnies in action:

view1.gif

All this poo was just after a few hours of construction of the cage.

view2.gif

I really need to get them used to the litter box, it looks barely used.

view3.gif

Here is the size of the cage, a 3x3 NIC cage. I really amthinking of making it a 2x3 cage if I do a condo, since they will havemore room to move in it. The nice thing is that they can roamaround plenty in the height of 1 NIC cube, so I am sure they will enjoya condo situation.

view4.gif

Here is the house I made them out of 2 packing boxes. Just alittle thread to hold the sides together, just in case they try tonibble it won't hurt them. Also that ball is a chew block.

view5.gif

There is Emily after getting quick drink of water.

view6.gif

Here is Rocket munching on some pellets.

view7.gif

Emily is enjoying some hay, though she did push Rocket out by accidentin order to get to the hay. Don't worry, they both get plentyof it.

That's the pictures for tonight. They haven't tried to escape yet, so that's a good sign.

Hurray! Im so happy you took those two. :hug:

I met them about a month ago and it just broke my heart that they wereturned into the rescue, they seemed so loving and sweet. Last week whenI was there they were standing up and just begging for pets every timeI walked by their pen.They are just adorable!

Congrats!

PS. You may want to get a large cat litter box for them, that willencourage them to goin more-Ive used that corner one beforeand its just a little small. If youbuy a cat one and put abig handull of hay in one corner that should help. A lot of bunnies atthe shelter sort oflose their litter box habits becausetheyre marking so much due to the smell of so many other buns. It maytake afew weeks for them to get used to it. Good luck!

Things are going well so far, however they keepmarking their territory by pooing everywhere in their box and then theymoved their potty box and peed in the corner. Luckily for meI put down a shower curtain, so I can just wipe it up when needed withvinegar.

When it is pellet time, we try to spend some time with the bunnies byopening the cage and sitting outside of it and feeding pellets to thebunnies. Hopefully that will give them the sense we're therefor them.

Chris

I took 15 minutes between work (I work fromhome) and cleaned the cage. Where they moved the litter boxwas a redish color water. It didn't look like blood, butmaybe it was. Do you think that one of the bunnies got hurtor is the redish color just urine? I am worried about that.

Otherwise they look happy and healty and the redish stuff wasn'ttracked anywhere around the cage, though they were trying to dig thereas well (there is a rip in the shower curtain). I cleaned upeverything with 409 then wiped it down with vinegarafterwards. It looks good now, though some input would begreat.

Chris

I had fun last weekend meeting the volunteers atthe rescue shelter & other buns along with Emily and Rocket. :DI even got Krystalily and her hubby to come with us. ;)

Chris_Kewl and I made the living room mostly bunny-proof but there arestill some odds and ends to pick up before Emily & Rocket canbe able to hop anywhere in our place because I read that they needexercise time up to two hours. Granted, I'm still learning new thingsand also continuing to read the guides in Bunny 101.

I'm really glad we finally got to adopt those bunnies and I hope they're happy with what we've offered them so far. :bunnydance:

My mom brought up a good point. Shesays that our bunnies need salt. How do I salt the bunnies?Or is that necessary if I am giving them pellets?

Any ideas would be grateful!

Chris

Your bunnies need salt? :what

I've never heard of this. I've heard of horses getting salt, but notbunnies. I would have to say that I wouldn't worry about it, but I'mgoing to leave this one up to more experienced bunny peeps.

yup, a lot of people give salt licks because they think bunnies need them. They dont. :D

PS. Love the new avatar. Those two remind me a bit of my bonded dutch pair, Basil and Max.

th_Bunnies125.jpg

Okay,after a few days of them gettingused to their 3 by 3 by 2 NIC pin, I made them a 2 storeycondo. The problem is that they don't want to go up the rampto the second floor. I put their house up there, which theylove to go into (as that it is full of fur and they like to rest in it.

However, right now they just sit at the bottom floor, where the hay,litter box, water bowl is. I put some pellets on the ramp andon the 2nd floor, hoping that they go up there and see that theirthings are up there. Though, I don't think my rabbits arejumpers (there is a 3 inch leap from the top of the ramp to the nextfloor).

Ideas?

Chris

hmm. I think I would try not to change anythingelse in the next week or so. It takes a bunny a while to get used tohis/her new environment so the less change the better.

For the second level, just give them some time. Most bunnies dont needa ramp and can jump up and down on their own, so they may not ever useit. You could try putting a few raisins up there for now. Also, what isthe floor like up there? If its slippery at all they might not want togo up.

I would give them some time with it and see how it goes. Ihavea pair who loves their second level and then I haveanother pair who never went up onto the second level so I just removedit.

They are lucky to have such attentive parents though! :)

Hi.

your rabbits are very lucky, and look so sweet.Ishouldn't worry to much about finding redish coluor you found, i readthat rabbits urine can be that colour so i'd say it was that.

Hope they are doing well.

:apollo:Louise

Thanks Louise. :D So far they're doing well. In fact...

Our bunnies somehow escaped during the night. In fact I kept dreamingabout them being out! So weird... anyways, I woke up feeling verydisturbed so went downstairs to check on them.

The cage was empty. :shock:

Looked under the kitchen table, there were Rocket and Emily! :D Theyhopped around when they saw me. I was really trying hard not to laughand went back upstairs to get Chris.

Seems not to have caused many damages but Chris is going to check thecords to make sure damage hasn't been done to them because the livingroom wasn't 100% bunny proof. ( It was 90% bunny-proofed, we were stillworking on that last 10% but this happened.) I'm pretty sure he'll workextra hard today to make sure the environment is completely safe forthem while I'm at classes and he's working. We're also watching them tosee if they're fine. Hopefully they are! So far they're acting fine asfar as I've observed since adopting them. A bit more outgoing maybe ...;) But that's not a bad thing, right?

We also may need to get a second litter box for outside the cage incase they escape again because when they got out after working the cagedoor loose, it closed behind them and they didn't know how to open itagain. So I stepped in a few wet spots in the carpet. Not a big deal.DH says it's Rocket marking his territory.

It was a lovely way to wake up for sure. :bunnydance:

haha I think we've all had that happen to us at least a few times.

Those caribeener (sp?) clips work well to latch the door shut. Mybunnies are all escape artists (especially my Lucy who is so tiny shecan fit through the smallest crack) so I know what its like to wake upto bunnies (and poo :)) everywhere.

Its hard to me mad at them when they look so sweet and innocent, isnt it? ;)

I just measured, cut and folded the coroplast afew minutes ago, I need to find some tape so I can remove the showercurtain and replace it with this.

Since the cage was moved around, the rabbits are going in the cornerwhere the litter box used to be, so I will have to move the cagecompletely, scrub everything clean. I will let them runaround while I do that. I need to clean their litter boxtoday, it's only been up since Sunday night and I can already smell it.

The good news is both Emily and Rocket are going up and down the rampwith no problems now. They are happy in their house and cango downstairs to potty, which is what they have been doing...Though doing it in the wrong area.

My only concern for right now is if we're approaching the rabbits tooquickly. I heard we should leave them in the cage for a weekand let them "absorb" then let them out. My issue with thatis cleaning and caring for the rabbits. Everyday I go andclean their cage. Am I wrong? Any help would beappreciated.

Chris

All rabbits are different. If they seem to befine with you reaching in and cleaning, then go ahead. From the littlecontact I had with them at the shelter they seemed like they adjustedwell and were good with people. Bunnies like that dont need as muchalone time. Some bunnies are terrified of new people and places andthose bunnies need to be left alone more.

Its your call. Just use your best judgment and if you think they are fine and adapting well, Im sure they are :D

Latest posts

Back