RIP - Zeus's lump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
Here's my prevous topic in case anyone cares to take a look:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=38041&forum_id=16

The baytril is, as I suspected, doing nothing for Zeus's lump. He has an appointment with a diffrent vet for 10:40 tomorrow morning, and is also schduled for surgery.

So he'll go in for his presurgery check up, then into surgery if they think he needs too. A very rabbit savy vet will be seeing him/doing the surgery. But I'm kind of upset with the prevous vet he saw. I'm basically going into this knowing nothing right now, she couldn't even tell me what the lump is and didn't xray his teeth.

I suspect that the better vet will find that its a problem with his teeth. In that case, that problem will be addressed as well as having the lump removed.

My questions for right now are about what I should do to make him more comfortable after surgery tomorrow. Should he eat tomorrow after surgery even if he has to have teeth pulled? Or should I have to force feed him, or offer him wet pellets/critical care? Should I just leave him alone pretty much and let him rest afterwards? Any advice would be great, I haven't really delt with anything like this before.

I'm so worried about him going under anesthesia :( I don't think I've gotten a good nights sleep for almost a week now over this. Hopefully he starts to feel better after this though.

I'm sure that the vet will give you specific instructions tomorrow, however I'm sure that many of the forum members that have treated their rabbit"s abscesses will be able to give you details of what they did for their buns after surgery.

Good luck tomorrow and stay calm!:)

I can't give you a lot of advice I have had 1 bunny treated for really bad spurs and with the drugs they give he was pretty spaced out when he came home so was eating pretty much straight away! ( vet said it was one of teh worst cases of spurs he had seen!)

I also have a friend who had a rabbit have its teeth taken out completely ( front ones) and I can remember her telling me how surprised she was at how quick he started eating again.

I hope it all goes well sounds like he is going into good hands

Make sure you get pain meds.
They'll probably give him something while he's there, but you may need something afterwards too.
My vet loaded up a few syringes of oral meds for me to take home.

You may need to keep him warm, too.
Socks filled with raw rice and mirowaved works well.
I kept Chippy warm by running blankies in the dryer and trading them out when they cooled. I was up most of the night with her so it kept me busy, too.

He'll probably be well hydrated when he gets home so don't worry about him drinking right off.

If he gets pellets, you may need to soften them up with some warm water.
It might be a good idea to have some Critical Care on hand too.
And some syringes, too.

~Jim

Zeus didn't survive his surgery yesterday :(:(

I really can't bring myself to write much more right now, I'm so heartbroken.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I did finally post his story in the rainbow bridge section today, if you want to read about what happened to my poor baby.

I have a quick question and didn't know where else to put it - what should I do with the Baytril I was giving Zeus? I didn't know if I should just throw it out, it was kind of expensive and the bottle is still almost full. I've kept it in the fridge since I got it. Should I keep it in case I ever need it for Barnaby, or should I just throw it out? If I keep it, how long would it be good for?

If the baytril was compounded by a pharmacist in flavored oil and did not require refrigeration you can save it. I'm not sure how long it is good but call the pharmacy and ask them.
If it was compounded with water and requiredrefrigeration then it isn't worth saving.

Latest posts

Back