(RIP) UPDATE: Luna has stones in both kidneys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad she's happy :)
I hope there's improvemnt tho!

kherrmann3 wrote:
Amy27 wrote:
It does make me wonder though even if her body couldn't handle the calcium I wonder what makes one rabbit store the calcium in the bladder and others in the kidneys.
I would guess genetics. It's the same with people. Will and I eat almost the same foods, but he gets kidney stones. Well, he used to be more prone to them, but since I made him cut out foods rich in calcium, he's been fine.

In the end, blame genetics. :p

That is what the vet confirmed again today, genetics. I asked about the possibility of this being caused by Luna's malnutrition, and he said that really had nothing to do with it. Naturestee even said that she was reading that if they are genetically predisposed to getting stones/sludge they will get the calcium from any source, including their own bones.

As to where the stones are formed, kidney or bladder, that I do not know. I wouldn't think that genetics discriminates location of stones so exactly. I would think that there would be other physiological things happening to detemine where the stones will form. That is one questionI do not know about....

myheart

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I'm glad she's happy :)
I hope there's improvemnt tho!

Bo B, thanks for sending the good thoughts, because they helped...!

Luna went to the vet today to get another blood panel done. It turns out that she is not in renal failure right now. Her last blood panel was all wonky because of the kidney infection. The vet said that there is significant improvement in the results. Luna will go back again in three more weeks for another urine culture to make sure the infection is gone. He also said that if she continues on this path,Luna should be able to have a dental at the beginning of April.

So at this point we are going to continue the fluids every other day, Tramadol and metacam everyday, and the antibiotics for about one more week. I did get to see her x-ray this time, and did see that her left kidney is much worse than the right one. The vet said that we will probably never be able to get rid of all of the stones, but we should be able to keep her on a maintenance program with the sub-q'sto hopefully prevent more from forming.

We are breathing a small sigh of relief knowing that Luna's display of binkies and short bunny-500's are more than appropriate for her condition. She is feeling better, so why not express it the only way a bunner knows how?!!! Let the binkies and sprints begin....!!!! :biggrin2:

myheart

AWESOME!!!!!

I am so glad you finally got some good news. That is great. Keep getting better Luna.

Oh my goodness I'm so happy for you! Whew, and time to do a happy dance!
:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:
Of course she is still hyper-sensitive to calcium, but better health is ssuper!

Thanks every one for the cheers to Luna's stable health. Luna is such a treasure and a trooper. I wish I had all of the special things in the world that she could ever want to let her know how much I love her. But, I guess, she might have to settle for a few blackberries or blueberries, since she doesn't have thumbs to leaf through catalogs to find stuff for her enjoyment. ;)

myheart

Thanks so much, Jan and Maureen, for thesmall celebration. It is these small milestones that mean so much in the end. Even though her kidneys will probably never be free of stones, at least her kidneys are not failing either. I guess I will have to be happy with that bit of news.

myheart

Jan, I will give Luna extra cuddles and kisses tonight from you.

I know you are still hurting over Pernod's passing. I am currently "sharing" Luna with Naturestee, TreasuredFriends, and Bo B. I would be more than thilled to share her with you also because you must ache for the bunnies who are hurting, especially the Dutchies.

You were so fortunate to have had Pernod in your life for 5 1/2 wonderful years. Luna's first Gotchya Day will be coming up at the end of March. I know her time will be limited with me, but I so look forward to as many Gotchya Days as she will spend with me.

They are all such little characters and blessings. Peace to you, Jan, as you remember Pernod's Gotchya Day. :dutch

myheart

Thank you so much . How kind of you, and yes, I'd LOVE to share Luna (and Patrick and Zappa .... ;):biggrin2:)

There is just something about Dutch rabbits - every one I've come across have been amazing. And I know John wants another one, one day! They are personality plus :)

Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
...And I know John wants another one, one day! They are personality plus :)

Jan

Not to be off-topic, but I have a beautiful tortie boy, Andrew Allen,as my new foster-bun. I am sure we could arrange some sort of travel options for you... :p

myheart

Well, she can't thumb through catalogs, but if you held one for her she might pick out the best pages!!

Bo helped Lexi pick out colored pencils for a project last night. Each time she had a "free" color to use (it was a map - of course the ocean was blue)... she had him pull out colors...... It was hilarious! and he had a good time with it!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Well, she can't thumb through catalogs, but if you held one for her she might pick out the best pages!!

Bo helped Lexi pick out colored pencils for a project last night. Each time she had a "free" color to use (it was a map - of course the ocean was blue)... she had him pull out colors...... It was hilarious! and he had a good time with it!

:roflmao: LMBO..... Bo is just too smart, you know!!!! Will he be going to college with Lexi to write her term papers also?!!!

myheart

Latest posts

Back