(RIP) UPDATE: Luna has stones in both kidneys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If nothing else, get me the recipe and I'll make it at work for you. I use Tramadol myself but usually don't use the max number of pills per day that I'm prescribed.:biggrin2:

Although you'd still be stuck without it on the weekends.

Luna reacted really badly to her spay. I think she was so used to dental pain that the abdominal pain was a shock and Metacam was seriously not enough. None of my other girls have acted that poorly after a spay. I got Tramadol for her the next morning and once it kicked in there was a huge difference in her.

Yeah, I thought there were weird issues there. Regarding having stones before or not..... we would never know but I still wonder if maybe it's not all a result of her bad condition before and her body flushing out a bunch of bad stuff ......

I just want her better :(

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I just want her better :(

Amen.

I always tell Luna that there are other people around the world (literally) who love her as much as I do, and that they are all pulling for her.

Thanks Bo B. I will pass your words and well wishes on to Luna. I will also give her extra cheek rubs from you as well. (You brought a tear to my eye, and I'm at work. I hate that...)

myheart

Wow Bo B and everyone else sending healing vibes to Luna!!!! You are really doing your work!

I came home tonight with full expectations of giving Luna more Critical Care once I had everyone else settled in with snacks. Like I said, I have been giving Luna her salad last so there is no extra stress for her.

She ate!!! She had some of her Oxbow timothy hay, a bit of carrot, and some greens!! I am so excited for her!! I really wanted to get a picture of her chowing down, but I am sure her little tummy fills up fast being so empty.

Now Luna is resting comfortably in front of Zappa's cage after having pee'ed in front of the other of the cage. Her sense of humor is coming back!!

Thanks All!!! You all rock!!! :D

myheart

(I have to go cry a bit now---happy tears)

Buprenex is an opiod and therefore would slow down the GI perhaps more than tramadol, which is not an opiod. Wikipedia tells me it's constapitory (is that a word?) effects are less than morphine, but still anything from that class of drugs will cause GI slowdown.

If the "fat looking-ness" of Luna before her diet change was due to fat deposits, it's possible that she had some fat-soluble toxin stored in her fat that was released into the blood when she lost weight. This toxin then put stress on the organs that eliminate toxins ie liver and kidney.

I'm told by wikipedia that the bulging belly of a malnourished child can be caused by an enlarged liver due to fattly liver disease. Maybe she was getting such a bad diet that she got fatty liver disease which has caused long-term damage in these systems? Just throwing ideas out there.

It's so frustrating when a seemingly healthy bunny gets so ill, especially with great care, and the doctors can't find the cause. I hope Luna's blood panel will be imformative.

Hugs to you and the cutie dutch army, wisconsin division!

This is the technical term for the pot belly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwashiorkor

Fatty/enlarged liver is one possible although excess peritoneal fluid is another. Both would make sense, but liver problems aren't likely as Luna had a full blood panel done within a few days of me bringing her home as part of her diagnosis. Her liver, kidneys, everything looked fine. (As a side note, aflatoxins are also listed as a possibility.)

I actually have that link saved in the "threads in progress" area and just haven't gotten around to doing any more. This isn't the first time I've seen this- Fey also had this when I got her.

I'm so glad she ate some! That's my beautiful girl! and peeing in front of the cage! AWESOME! ;)Gotta love da bunnies!

I'm glad she's eating!! Keep it up, little girl!

Saw that wiki article myself. ;) I'm glad to know her liver is fine. I was just looking for a reason she might have damage to her organs of elimination. It's most likely (I think) that Luna had that condition due to vitamin deficiency. We have a bunny at the shelter that has been VERY fat and is losing weight, and she has looked totally different than Luna did at first.

I've appointed myself the official updater cause I'm trying to keep Myheart from being as stressed.

There's good news and bad news.

Good news- Luna started munching on hay at the vet office and was very hungry for her veggies when she got home.

Bad news- Blood tests show renal failure. From the xray, one kidney looks worse than the other. Dental work was not done on her. Also, her white blood cell count is high, indicating an infection.

Treatments: Sub-q fluids, every day for a week then every other day after that. Metacam once a day (sub-q fluids make it safer with the kidneys, hoping anti-inflammatory properties may help with irritation caused by stones), Tramadol twice a day. Urine culture and sensitivity test, sampled directly from the bladder with a needle. It will take a few days to get the results back and then an antibiotic will be chosen. Luna will return in 2 weeks to have the blood work done again.

There are some other diagnostic teststhat are possible and might be done later. This includes an ultrasound and a test involving dye being added to the blood and radiographs to observe it moving through the kidneys. This second test might require anesthesia depending on whether Luna gets squirmy once the catheter is put in.

:nerves1

Thanks Naturestee for the post/update.

I wasn't sure what would be more difficult, writing about the vet visit or reading about it. All I do know is that I am not ready to lose my little girl. We are going to try to do as much maintainance as possible to keep the calcium in her kidneys under control. Please keep the good thoughts coming.Luna will still need them.

btw... Patrick is almost officially toothless.... I have noticed that he has been eating his carrot in a different pattern than usual and not eating much of his green. Poor little tyke has to work too hard at gumming his foods now.

myheart

Oh dear. I'm so sorry about this bad news. It's definitely not what anyone wants to hear. It's not going to be easy, but I'm sure you and the vet can provide her with a good quality of life and as many sunbeam snuggles as she can handle.

HUGE HUGS and as many good vibes as will fly through the air to you and your trio.
:heartbeat::dutch:heartbeat:

[line]
Some links for when you've regained your bearings:

Yahoo Pets group for parents of rabbits with renal failure:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/cfr-rabbits/

I read here ( http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/kidneys.shtml ) that some bunnies can live for over a year with renal failure and enjoy themselves.

This site talks about special foods for dogs and cats with renal failure that improve lifespan: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/dietary_therapy_of_renal_failu.html

And this article from Kathy Smith talks about holistic medicine treatments. It mentions that accupuncture and several herbs are good at treating kidney disease.
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/holistic.shtml

This is also a list of small animal holistic vets in WI:
http://www.holisticvetlist.com/ahvma_query_advanced.php

I am so sorry myheart. It sounds like you and the vet have a good plan. If you need anything let me know even if you just want to vent.

Thanks k~ and Amy. I was so hoping to hear that all of the stones in, at least, one kidney had passed. Maybe I set the goal a bit too high to start and it backfired...

Thanks Tonyshuman for the links. I will take some time to look them over. Even Naturestee says that Luna won't be gone by tomorrow. I will just love her for as long as she lets me. She will always be Patrick's true love and my baby-girl no matter what.

myheart

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh, Luna, PLEASE get better. We love you! :pray:

Thanks Bo B. I will tell her you said she needs to get better. Maybe that will help, along with the extra cheek rubs fromyou.

myheart

Latest posts

Back