RIP: Uh oh, infection of the penis?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darfi

Reaction score
Hey there everyone.

My rabbit Prince doesn't seem to be doing too hot right now. I noticed last night that while he was in his cage he would stand up on his tippy-toes and kind of inwardly heave like he was flinching when his bum touched the floor of the cage. So I tried to coax him out of his cage and he wouldn't come play. So I let Isis out to entice him out and play with his buddy. No go. So I lifted him out and palpated his entire abdomen gently to see if he reacted, nope. He just didn't want to sit flat and he did the weird inward heaving thing every so often. So I chalked it up to a possible irritance in his digestion since I bought different rabbit food and left it at that until today. Today his penis is all round and swollen and dripping bits of urine one drop at a time.

Yes I called the vetrinarian but it costs $55.00 just to get an examination for him and I don't have it right now. The lady I spoke to suggested rinsing his genitals clean for him in the mean time. I'll try to get a picture of it on here if I can figure it out.

I touched the swollen area very gently and it doesn't seem to feel like a regular swelling. It's not hot to the touch and it's solid hard.....I know it sounds funny that way but it doesn't look funny. If there are any ideas, any suggestions, please write here and tell me what I can do for him.

Here's a link to the pic I put up on photobucket so I can show this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Darlandria/Rabbits/HPIM0166.jpg

Hi there, the picture isn't very clear... can you get a clearer picture of it - less blurry maybe?

The fur around his genitals is kind of brown - is that stains from his urine? He might have urine burn if his bum area gets wet with urine and he can't keep the area clean and dry.

I took 3 pictures while he was tipped back and that one is the clearest pic I could take. As far as size goes, it's about the size of the tip of my index finger. Not normal, especially for a dwarf!

The discoloration is from his urine. Urine burn you say? I'll look into that thanks :)

Hmm.. this is an article on hutch burn (aka urine burn aka urine scald)... I'm trying to find a reference that lists syptoms, but it's basically raw chapped skin - which is probably a bit painful. Not sure if this is what it is, but it might be one thing to consider...

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

I'm hoping someone with some better ideas or ways to help will chime in...

You really need to get him to the vet, by hook or by crook. Whatever is wrong can't be properly diagnosed via the internet, let alone treated - and I'm sure he must be in pain.

There must be a way for you to get him there... and you can always check re. payment plans and so on. If you have a good vet, they're going to want to treat your bun.

Yes EC, I understand that I need to bring Prince to the vet but I can't in the meantime due to financial problems at the present time sountil I can find atleast fifty-five dollars to get a vet to lay eyes on him let alone treat him, I will be learning anything I can to help him but thanks anyways.

Care Credit is a wonderful credit card. It can only be used for medical purposes and most vets accept them. If it's more than $300 then they give you a no interest plan for 3 months, the bigger the bill, the longer you have to repay it without interest. You can apply at carecredit.com or at your vet's office. My income wasn't big enough at the time (working 40 hours a week at $6.75/hour) so my uncle is co-signed to my account. They have a HIGH interest rate, 23% but at times of emergencies or when you just can't pay on the spot it comes in handy.

Alright, i'll try to find out about that card here and maybe I can get one before Prince's condition gets critical. I need more of an immediate answer I think so i'll be begging my family and friends to help me. It might seem easy to some people, cough at 55 bucks and wipe your nose with it after but to me, I have bills beyond my income I will not catch up with for months and next to no food to even feed my 3 year old with so honestly, this isn't easiest thing for me right this moment. I would prefer some advice on Prince's condition please people.

This appears to be a more serious problem than topical ointment can solve.

The dripping urine is a concern. He may have an infection and needs to be seen by the vet ASAP.

Pam

Is there any way you can bring him down to see Dr. Potter at West Boulevard, or ever Dr. Upjohn in Coquitlam? They are two of the very best rabbit vets here in the lower mainland..

I know my friend, she greyhounds to Vancouver from Abbotsford (She lives next to Mission), and it costs her $15 for a round trip.

Oh no, poor bunny =[

Here are the Library files...

Urinary Problems

Other than giving him Pedialyte and keeping the areaas dry and clean as possible, not much more you can do. It may be urine scald causing the discomfort, but the reason for the scald is where the problem lies, scald would be a symptom of something else. And bunnies are prone to UTIs. (Urninary Tract Infections).

There may be a way of collecting a urnine sample and convincing the vet to test it without an exam, that may be a cheaper option. If it comes back clear of infection, you may belooking at x-rays to see if there's a bladder or UT stone, although I'm not sure it would affect him like that.

But read the articles, I think I put one in there somewhere about collecting samples. Your vet may not go for it, but worth a shot.

Good luck...

sas :?

Duh stupid me, didn't look at your location. I don't the CC works in Canada. Sorry :(

Okay, i'll keep the area clean and dry and attempt a urine sample collection. I'm sure I can find a few vetrinarians in town but I do prefer the one we're familiar with and is closest to home. But hey, maybe one will sympathize with me some for the sake of a cute little rabbit.

It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but is it like that area is what a blister is like on a human? I had that happen with BunBun (RIP) a long time ago, it was like the area swelled up and was full of clear liquid. Don't worry, it wasn't the cause of his passing. Vet couldn't tell what was wrong and it went down by itself, though I would for sure seek vet treatment if you have a better vet than I.

I can't say much other than, get him to a vet, work out a payment plan. It's going to be more than 55$ to treat him.

Hi, Darfi!

I wish the photo were clearer, cannot really see how the area looks. If it were only irritated, red and puffy skin around the genital area, It would most probably be urine scald or urine burn, as the members have told you. However, the swollen penis is a point of major concern. A swollen penis could also be a symptom of vent disease. It's a sexually transmitted bacterial infection, which is only cured by the administration of antibiotics, mainly PenB (a type of Penicillin combo). However, I think I read some years ago that it could also be transmitted from the mom to the kits during birth, but I'm not sure if I remember correctly...

Is Prince neutered? How old is he? Does he strain to pee? How swollen is the penis, i.e. double than normal? I'm the mom of a male dwarf hotot also, so I understand about dwarf sizes.

If it's vent disease, another symptom, at a later, more progressed, stage, would be the appearence of scubs in his genital area and his mouth.

Hope it's just urine burn, though, which is a simpler issue than vent disease. I also hope and wish you get the vet money soon, as Prince must be already in pain, jugding from his unusual acting, the way you described it, so pain could produce more health issues, i.e. anorexia, retention of urine, etc. Is he eating and drinking okay?

Marietta

Hmm, Vent disease seems unlikely since my rabbit is approximately 2.5-3 years old and has never had sexual intercourse with any rabbit...he's tried other various things before he was neutered like a small bouncey ball about his size and my arm once but...no rabbits.

Is Prince neutered?: Yes.

How old is he?: 2.5-3 years

Does he strain to pee?: Doesn't appear to.

How swollen is the penis, i.e. double than normal?: Atleast double. I don't look at it too often mind you but it is hard to the touch. Feels like a knuckle more than a penis.

Is he eating and drinking okay?: He ate a baby carrot yesterday after his first rinsing but I haven't witnessed him eating his regular food or using his water bottle but he was pretty adament about trying to lick the water out of the towel I used to dry him with.

He also doesn't display any pain by either hunching or laying his ears back or grinding his teeth or anything either so I don't know how much discomfort he's in. He's totally happy sitting on my lap and for some reason is totally comfotable with me turning him onto his back on my lap now too. He never used to be so comfortable with that.

The penis isn't discolored, it isn't red. There are no bumps or scabs or flakes of skin or anything other than the swollen hardnessand dribbley pee.

Hmm...I'm thinking a UTI.
http://www.petplace.com/small-mammals/urinary-disorders-in-rabbits/page1.aspx

However, could it be a bladder stone?
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=514&S=5
Also, do they have Calcium based treats to chew? Excessive calcium can cause blockages.

And the red areas look like urine scald to me. Possibly because he is laying on his urine as it dribbles out.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

Either way, he needs a vet soon. I'd call the vet, explain your situation and work out a payment plan. You'd be suprised how willing a lot of places are in order to provide healthcare for your pet.

For now, I'd keep him hydrated and as dry as possible down below. I'd remove and blankets and towels he could be lying on too, as they may be covered with urine, which would hold bacteria and would not be good for him.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, he doesn't use towels or blankets. I only have carefresh in his litter/bedding and I change that frequently. I have been keeping his area dry and keeping an eye on it too.

There is no redness, the picture is blurry but the discolored area is where the dribbley pee was collecting and since I've been cleaning him it's been quite a bit cleaner.

He's allowed me to try squeezing it some, and to probe around the area but he doesn't display any pain signs. It's just swollen and hard. The only things I have to go on are the swelling, lack of desire to playand lack of eating at this time. He atleast drinks water.

I will be attempting to collect urine like Sas said and bring that to the vet and hopefully I can be convincing enough to get them to give me a payment plan where I don't payuntil to 2009 on all clearance blowout items! (some humour is ncessary in times like this) Honesly folks, even if I had a plan where I paid like $30.00 a month i'd be hooped over. I'm doing all I can and thanks to you all for trying to help me.

Back