(RIP) Rupert is fighting for his life!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rupert is actually responding really well to the metacam although I dearly wish I could get something stronger for him. he had his flush and I was concerned to see good healthy pink tissue closing in around and over dead tissue!!! I pulled back the healthy tissue a tiny tiny bit and used a blunt scalpel to scrap dead tissue off the layer just underneath and remove it painstakingly with another surgery instrument, much like a tweezers. All this was done with feather light strokes and Rupert did not respond in pain. It came away easily and then flushed out with some warm water, he is eating, drinking but is NOT a happy man. He never was one for big cuddles and all this handling is getting on his nerves!

A friend who works as a bird rescuer was here and helped me with Rupert, we are trying to make sure only healthy tissue closes the wound, he has a bit of dead tissue left that needs more time to pull away. Poor Rupert, he is so angry at me, no amount of soft talking, coaxing and ear rubs is going to convince him that all this is to help him.

I don't know from personal experience, but it sounds to me like he's got the best care he could possibly get from you! Best of luck and keep up the great work.

Thank you so much, keeping him warm with a hot water bottle which he can choose to nestle against or move away from, he just loves it, he starts mooching over it as soon as it is refilled and tries to get as close as he can to the heat.

Just had a new rescue handed in, literally skin and bones little girl. She is comfortable and will be fine with loads of food and warmth and vet check up. She is going to go to another rescue in two days after initial assessment so I can concentrate on Rupert.

Want to write a big thank you and acknowledgment of all the postings, advice and support, there are so many people to list and some excellent advice too!!!!!!!

Rupert is lucky to have so many friends praying for him too.

He continues to be stable but critical.
The wound is basically healing too fast over dead tissue, it is closing too soon over lumps of black tissue, he has a vet appointment every 2 days to assess for surgery.

Our next appointment is first thing in the morning, I will post after that one to update.

I will be getting in a couple of stronger painkillers over the next day or so but progress in getting them to me has been aggravatingly slow!!!

Rupert is eating but he is eating less, not much less but noticeable. His weight is consistent, his eyes are bright, he is responding to stimulus well.

The leg is not quite as tucked in as before and I will try post an updated picture of his abscess very soon.

Great to hear... and great to have you back. :D

(And take it slow and easy with the skin and bones girl, I don't think its healthy to try and fatten her up too fast, but I'm sure you've got a handle on that as well!)

sas :bunnydance:

pressed for time, have lots to do so a quick update,

we are still on standby, wound healing VERY VERY well and vet was enthusiastic about Rupert's recovery. Not out of the woods yet, between now and Sunday we are waiting to see how the healing goes, how Rupert is etc etc

So good news so far, wound looking pink and healthy, Rupert maintaining his weight but I refuse to get my hopes up yet!

After Sunday there may be cause for celebration but holding on for now, nothing to do except continue the daily regime of bathing, sunning, antibiotics, painkillers, pyrogen, exercise, hot water bottles and time...time and more time.

Nice sunny day, Rupert is outside in his outdoor pen for the first time in ages, he is eating dandelion flowers and enjoying the sun and a breeze.

Wound had to be massaged this morning to stimulate blood flow and expel dead tissue and to keep the hole open.

Its not nice to do but gentle firm strokes around the edges keeps all the tissue alive and healthy.

The abscess is trying to close but canto allow this until it has all properly healed from the inside out. Vet agrees.

Rupert is okay in himself, quiet, a little reserved ( quite normal for him), eating alright, drinking well and pain management is adequate, antibiotics clearly working well and his coat, eyes etc looks well.

I am very pleased with his progress but he is using up all his lives with this one ;)

Yeah, I don't know if I would have the strength to do that! I get a little sick to my stomach just seeing the pic, and actually having to clean etc must be trying. Glad he's headed in the right direction! Keep it up!

RUPERT HAS BEEN RUSHED INTO EMERGENCY SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had an awful night with him, his wound changed from its usual smell to a sickly sweet smell I know all too well....GANGRENE!

The change was subtle, he was still eating but I just knew it was a bad smell, the cleaning was working but then when I touched his leg, it gave way!!

It had gone soft, now I have no photos and he is in surgery.

I can't take photos of him with one hand and care for him, I only have a tiny hand held camera.

Now he is waiting for his surgery and I will get a call in a couple of hours...

I am so scared for him!

I DO NOT want to drag anyone else through this emotional journey but now that I posted p so much about him, I wanted to let anyone reading this, that the outcome is 50%/50% at his stage.

The change occurred overnight, last night when I woke to feed him and give im painkillers, he smelled and looked different.

I am so sad because I was getting my hopes up, he is just on his own at the vets, stinking out the whole clinic.

The cleanest bunny I have ever had has reached a point where its surgery or nothing good.

Don't know what else to write....

Rupert passed peacefully and painlessly at 1.02pm my time.

Rupert is gone, my little man fought very very hard.

We are all in shock.

a major blood vessel supplying the thigh muscle shut down causing the muscle to collapse and fail to heal properly.

I said no to amputation of his back leg.

This was a choice that was hard to make.

RIP little man, you were the best behaved, best little character, so funny to watch , so pedantic and unique.

oh man, He fought hard, Binky free sweetie!!!! Say hit to Sooty for me. Ofelia i am so sorry for your loss. You also fought hard for him. hugs to you

I'm so sorry to hear the loss of Rupert. He put up quite a fight. It sounds like he'll be fondly remembered and loved by you for always. I bet he was a very good boy.

Latest posts

Back