(RIP) Rupert is fighting for his life!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bicillin sold here is not marketed for rabbits but for beef cattle.

You would need to look into it's availablity for use in either humans or other animals... not specifically rabbits.

I think you can get penicillin here, my friend whos a farm vet defo has penicillin - lord knows what type but it's here. When you bring a sick rabbit to the vet here you A-L-W-A-Y-S get baytril they seem to love that stuff. Ofelia another thought was if your vet and one of the infirmary mods (if both willing) could talk and that way they could prob get Rupert on something more suitable?

PepnFluff wrote:
Ofelia another thought was if your vet and one of the infirmary mods (if both willing) could talk and that way they could prob get Rupert on something more suitable?

Excellent suggestion.

Perhaps a wildlife rescue in her area might have access to other meds.
Maybe they could partner up with the vet?

CouldZithromax be used for this type of infection/abscess? Or would this require something stronger?

ra7751 wrote:
And he really needs additional pain meds.....narcotics. Metacam is much like our Tylenol (NSAID).

Randy

I don't think Randy meant to administer Tylenol.

I think it was more of a comparison as to how it would have an effect on pain.....
...as in; it would have a minimal effect on pain in this circumstance, and something stronger should be used?

Metacam may not be enough.

JimD wrote:
ra7751 wrote:
And he really needs additional pain meds.....narcotics. Metacam is much like our Tylenol (NSAID).

Randy

I don't think Randy meant to administer Tylenol.

I think it was more of a comparison as to how it would have an effect on pain.....
...as in; it would have a minimal effect on pain in this circumstance, and something stronger should be used?

Metacam may not be enough.
I don't think that Randy even meant to say "Tyenol" and he never said anything about using it on a rabbit .
I just added that in case anyone thought it could be a substitute for Metacam NSAIDS are non steroidal antinflammatory Drugs . metacam is an NSAID but Tylenol isn't because it doesn't have anti-inflammatory properties although it is a pain reliever. it also is far more dangerous to the liver than the NSAIDS

Yes, the tylenol comparison was meant to be a way to tell you how it's not very strong at combating pain, nothing like a narcotic.

Narcotic drugs used in rabbits include tramadol, buprenorphine, and other human narcotics as well. Of these, tramadol has fewer mental/awareness side effects, although it isn't as strong a pain killer as buprenorphine. It might be a better bet right now, although he may be in enough pain to need the full opioid-type effect of buprenorphine. Rules regarding buprenorphine also vary in different countries as it can be a drug of abuse in humans.

Zithromax can be helpful in an abscess situation--sometimes a good treatment protocol combines injectible penicillin with oral zithromax. Zithromax is used quite extensively as a human drug, so if your vet were willing to write you a script for it, you could get it filled at a human pharmacy. You'd want an oral suspension, and it could be flavored just like they do for kids medicine. I would definitely bring this up to your vet and show him the dosage info on that site mentioned previously--if the vet has the ability to prescribe zithromax, it may be a good choice.

Injectible penicillin is also used for people--just in a different formulation. It's a common treatment for people-syphilis as well. If your vet has the power to use human pharmacies, and is willing to do so, these drugs may be available to you. In addition it is a farm drug that you might be able to find at a farm supply store.

That abscess looks really painful. I am wondering if you should be rinsing it out frequently, with a sterile saline solution. Normally we don't recommend that, because the pus is so thick, but the abscess is so severe and it has already opened up so it may be a good thing to do. Some vets will tell you to rinse with dilute hydrogen peroxide but I would never do that! Too much pain/tissue damage.

wow, I am so pleased with so much response for Rupert, I am just reading through all the posts now, talking my vet and YES we have penicillin on the way from a bird sanctuary!!!!!

:)

Dosages, timing for injections, the previous baytril in consideration, the combination if 2 antibiotics in his system,

I am DEMANDING more painkillers for him, and his wound does need to be gently flushed, I do not add anything other than a tiny touch of salt to loads of warm water, the water is nearly medium warm and has to be just right for Rupert's comfort, he will actually sit happily in the water while I clean his wound.

All excrement is being carefully cleaned away and fresh toweling and bedding every couple of hours to reduce the chance of further infection.

He is happily munching away o his hay, pellets, water, fresh veges.

I am going to carefully read every single post and may even try get a few telephone numbers and link up my vet and Randy or an infirmary mod.

I live in a tiny rural area, the vet I see is fantastic but the main animals they see are horses, cows, sheep, goats, and during the shooting season they are out there shooting rabbits (fine if they are wild and pests), rabbits are poorly regarded as pets in general in my area.

Off to talk to my vet again and see when the penicillin is coming.

I would like to put my two cents in here on the difference between holistic and homeopathic medicine. There is a big difference!

Homeopathic med. had specific remedies for specific maladies. They are non traditional meds. Research has not supported the use of them. (I could go into how they are prepared etc. but it's not necessary here.)

Holistic med is completely different! It is the philosophy to use every approach that has been proven helpful, including tradition medicine. Holistic med might also recommend, in some cases, massages, vitimins, physical therapy, whatever helps the patient be at ease and maintain a healthy attitude and life style, along w/ using traditional medicine.

So while Rupert's vet is treating him w/ antibiotics etc. every attempt is also being utilized to help his body's natural healing ability also. That is why he is getting the baths and the sun.

Here is my two cents about whether to treat animals or PTS. It is my opinion that as long as the animal is making an attempt to eat and drink, and the animal is enjoying his/her life then I give them every opportunity to continue to fight. If s/he is in pain, even with pain relief, has to be forced feed, and there is no more joy, it is time to go.

Unfortunately, there is too much gray area inbetween! Every situation is different!

Sending healing Rupert's way!

Rupert is being given a boost of penicillin and continuing n the Baytril, his wound is pink, (excellent), in the middle and the dead blackened tissue is slowly pulling away, I reopened a tiny portion of the abscess, as gently as possible as underneath the pink outer was a thin layer of resistant dead tissue, it came off then under a light flushing. It was going to close otherwise and would have caused leg cramping and difficulty in expelling it over time

Rupert is now on further pain killers as the vet has just been over, read ROL postings off my computer and confirms that pain relief was necessary and penicillin too.

He is now receiving the best treatment possible, available and recommended :) Thank you,

He is eating, drinking, keeping clean and warm and has short bursts of enforced exercise around 3 times a day. I simply place him a few metres from his carrier and he has to walk back. Or I put him all the way down the hallway and he has to hop 10 metres. He is putting a bit of pressure on the leg after warm bathing, I also stretch the leg out very gently every so often as he has pulled tightly under his bottom and healing like that may mean it stays like that especially with the loss of healthy muscle tissue and the ache in his leg bones.

Rupert is comfortable and as it is evening now, I may head off for some much needed sleep. He is very quiet and a obviously depressed over his ordeal. Tomorrow I will get out a few distractions for him, music, grapes in his water dish, lots of cuddles on his head, he loves that and maybe a 5 minute spell on the grass IF he is up to it.
Hopefully sunny tomorrow as he loves to be outside.

Also I found out that my vet DID give Rupert penicillin to begin with but kept it quiet from his manager so she would not charge me for it! Interesting, was a nice thought but he forgot to tell me! Ah well, he has been in surgery all weekend with a few emergencies and I am just happy he was there when I needed him most.

Thank you ROL for your support, Rupert the trooper continues to battle forwards.

oh dear Rupert is very down this morning and grinding his teeth in pain, have just given him his next lot of painkillers, metacam only as there are no opiates/narcotics.

He is miserable, perhaps it won't be a bad day all day but he does need another wound flush soon as the smell and oozing is quite strong now, some dead tissue is pulling away and I am just waiting for him to have breakfast, relax a bit, let the painkillers do their job and then..sigh..the bathing. It is so vital the wound is kept clean, he usually perks up after the bathing, if he is not in pain, poor little bunny, he is so small and scared.

I just could not sleep last night, had an awful feeling we are heading to surgery and possibly amputation but must keep my chin up because all could end very well.

:)

Oh dear. I hope he feels better as the day goes on. A little warmth can help with pain too. I use an old sock full of dry rice microwaved for a few minutes as a heating pad for my bunnies to snuggle next to if they want.

Hope things get better!

i have just sat here for 15 minutes and read ALL of these posts.this site is soo great, and everyone is so willing to help..i hope Rupert gets better, he is suchh a beautiful bunny. i will keep him in my prayers, and the buns will be thinking about him :)

tell rupert we are all here pulling for him..

Hannah, Poker, and Vegas

About pyrogen: it's a generic term for anything that causes a fever. Apparently this will help remove pus from the wound. I'm not sure about this myself, but I hope by posting this, others will be able to evaluate this treatment.

Latest posts

Back