RIP-Prayers for Muffy...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry you lost her. I've been really busy and totally missed this thread.:(

If you haven't done it yet, let Labrador see Muffy's body. Give him some time to say goodbye, so he knows what happened too her. It's heart breaking, but it will help him understand where his friend went. When Sprite died she was in the same cage as her sister Fey, but we still put her next to Fey before taking her out. Fey completely understood what was going on, and groomed Sprite's face for a few minutes and then stopped and looked at us. She said her goodbyes and was ready for us to take Sprite away.

:hug:

My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today. :rainbow:

Oh no :(

I'm so sorry you lost her. I am glad she was home with you tho.

I didn't know (I must have missed it) that she was 10. What a long and loving life she had.

:hug: I know you'll always miss her.

I placed her body back in the NIC cage last night. Labrador has been cuddling beside her. I will be calling the vet office in a few minutes to ask about cremation.

Muffy didn't deserve the life she had.

She had so many homes... she was passed around like a child's toy. Apparently, when she was younger, she was spayed by a dog vet. Her bladder had been tampered with and she could no longer control her bladder. When she walked around and her urine would just fall out... she was no longer wanted.

The first time she arrived at the shelter, she was 7. Labrador arrived as a tiny baby.. who someone found. A man came in and adopted them both.. and bonded them together. After 8 months, he put them back in the shelter.

After 6 months, Muffy had given up. She hadn't moved in almost a week - although she was still somewhat eating and drinking. Her weight was decreasing, a fowl smell had taken over. She was 8 1/2 at the time.. while Labrador was 16 months. The shelter redeemed the two unadopted - Muffy was too old, and Labrador was too fiesty. I came on my day off, sat in front of their cage for a long time, and decided I'd take them home. I had only turned 17 two weeks earlier.. and was still living with my former rabbit killed parents.

I guess I should explain that - When I was a child, my parents used to raise rabbits for meat. They had stopped after a year.. and released all the rabbits back into the wild :tantrum::banghead They never gave my brother and I rabbit to eat - thank god. How ironic how their daughter grows up to be a rabbit loving freak. How she's involved with several rabbit rescues and how she's cared for five.

I took Muffy to the vet, where I found out she had arthritis, and she was living in her own waste. I've since had to bathe her every week and give her antibiotic flush for the urine damaged skin/fur. I used to also take her to a groomer to have that fur removed. For her arthritis - she's been on metacam on and off.

But since I've moved out of Vancouver and into Burnaby, I could not find a rabbit groomer anywhere. Infact, where I took Muffy in Vancouver... she was supposedly the only groomer brave enough to handle them in the area.

My dear Miss Muffy... I will always love you, and you were forever be missed :hearts

Oh goodness, what a tragic life poor Muffy had. Thank God you found her and she had at least a few happy, loved years. Poor Labrador - they must have really had a special connection.

I think it's wonderful that you have turned to helping bunnies, despite the example set by your parents. I will be thinking of you. :hug:

Jan

I didn't know Muffy's story. Thank you for sharing it now. She did have a horribly hard life, didn't she. Thank God she had Laborador and they have had you.

Aww, I'm so sorry April :cry2

Binky free Muffy. What a tough life for such a sweet little bunny, you are so wonderful to give her an amazinglife and the opportunity to be loved and spoiled during the time you guys were together.

Binky free little girl.

:hug1:in tears:

Thank you everyone... I really don't know how I would have coped without this forum. Labrador is probably taking this much harder than myself.

He picked up his favorite toy, walked over to her, and placed it under her chin. When I was removing her from the cage to place her back in the carrier, he ran over and cuddled with her.

She was taken back to the vet where she will be cremated. I hate seeing Labrador so upset.. it's so odd not seeing my luv bun couple anymore... just a lonely little boy.

Bless Labrador's little heart :(. I know from experience that seeing one part of a bonded couple alone makes matters worse - you feel so helpless trying to comfort them.

You are both really going to need each other over the next few days. Remember that you have a lot of support here :hug:

Jan

Latest posts

Back