RIP-Prayers for Muffy...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieStixxxx

Reaction score
Awhile ago, I posted pictures of a wound that had appeared inbetween Muffy's shoulder blades. They had healed, but now the giant scar ripped off (I believe Labrador is to blame), and now she is taking very heavy steps with her back legs and grinds her teeth every 30 seconds.. She's in so much pain right now... I feel like a horrible pet owner. I don't even have metacam! It's midnight, no vet around is open, and I live in a very quiet part of town.

I'm going to call the nearest rabbit savvy vet and skip work tomorrow if I have to. I'm even going to pay for a taxi ride because I'm willing to dish out everything for her.. I owe her so much..

I've separated her from Labrador for now.. do you think that's wise? I put a small dose of hexadene on her giant open wound, and covered it with a band-aid..

She's no longer walking with her hind legs, her eyes are half shut, teeth grinding.. and all I can think of is this may be it with her...

My poor sweet girl...

I'm so sorry :bigtears:

Oh no! I don't have a car otherwise I'd head over there with my Metacam, tho it takes a while to work. :( (Where do you live, anyway?)

I wouldn't put a bandaid on it. Keep her warm, tho.

Does it look like it's abscessed?

sas :pray:

I don't have anything! Labrador picks at it (I put them back together).. and it gets worse =[

Wait Pipp... you live in the west end right? I work at the Starbucks across the street from Capers. And I'll be there from 1:15 - 9:45. I'll buy your metacam or any pain reliever =[

The closest rabbit vet I called is still pondering about her... I'm too desperate for him to take his sweet time!

She's now only eating occasionally.. when she used to be the veggie monster with a bottomless stomach.

I think I might cab to the Emergency Hospital... My boyfriend's going to be coming around 6:00 to keep an eye on her.. If I don't hear back from the Vet, I'm going to ask him to bring her to me after work, and I'll cab to the emergency clinic from there.

I left work early because I was an emotional wreck. I called about 5 rabbit savvy vet clinics and they were either booked for today and tomorrow, the rabbit vet wasn't in until the weekend, or she was just too risky to handle.

I tried Upjohn... he can't see her for atleast a few days. Too long for me to wait.

Finally, a very good rabbit vet in Surrey called me and will take her tomorrow morning. I cried even harder. I get paid Friday and every cent will go towards her vet bill... I'm even asking my manager for an advance paycheck.

Ugh, I went to Starbucks and you were gone. :(

I should have PM'd you my phone number, I'm such an idiot.

I was ready to hop on a bus last night (even checked all the schedules) but you had already logged off, and then when I logged on this afternoon you were already at work, I thought the bf would have gottenher into a vet by then and that wasthat.

I feel awful for not connecting,I probably could have convinced Arbutus to take her, even if it was for a quick shot and some Metacam. :( Their emergency policy for rescues is just to go their and wait, I would have taken her there for you.

She obviously needs vet treatment, a shot of antibiotics is a good bet. Baby Motrin (or adult Motrin or Ibuprofen, anything) is the same as Metacam, give her that with food and water.

My timing SOsucks!:bawl: I'm so sorry Muffy. :(

sas :tears2:

Thanks Pipp! You're so sweet :group:

My boyfriend wasn't sure if he had a make up class at 6 or not.. and every vet I was calling couldn't take her in until King George called back.

Did you know that the Vancouver Animal Emergency Clinic charges $400 and something for a consultation, and $68 for an examination?

I bought some polysporen because that's when the vet assistents told me to do and apply some to the wound.

She stopped eating for the most part.. takes a couple nibbles here and there. I've been a baby all day, and I held her in my arms fearing that today might be my last day with her.

Pipp wrote:
Baby Motrin (or adult Motrin or Ibuprofen, anything) is the same as Metacam, give her that with food and water.
I wanted to repeat this advice because sometimes things like this can get lost in a post with all the other stuff.

I like to take baby motrin and break it up in some pedialyte (maybe 1/4 tsp or so) and get it dissolved as much as possible and then give them that. I also tend to give a tiny bit of simethicone first for the tummy (to coat it) and then follow it with a bit of baby food or a treat they'll eat.

I'm not sure if that is a good way to do it -but I figure it gets the medicine in them and their tummy is sorta protected too.

Also - please please please focus on keeping her hydrated tonight even if she isn't eating. Some ideas are:

diluted mint tea (no caffeine if its herbal)

diluted apple juice (or diluted baby apple juice)

vanilla in the water

Possibly spritz some hay or vegetables with a bit of water or apple juice too.

I've had rabbits not eat because of being in pain or something but they were kept hydrated enough for me to get meds in them to make them feel better.

Good luck!

Peg

One of the great things about working at Starbucks.. is you get a box of tea every week. And caffine free mint tree - I have boxes of those in my kitchen.

I've give her some right now. Thanks Peg!

Edit:

I gave her some diluted peppermint tea. I know she would've enjoyed the apple juice more.. I always try to keep some sort of sugar free juice around, but Vince and I love our juice :embarrassed:

I had her out in the living room, and she was running around like her usual self. For the last couple hours, I've been crying and annoying my boyfriend by saying things such as "I just know it.. these are my final hours with her" and he keeps saying "The return of arthritis and a wound aren't going to kill her. She's only been acting like this since Labrador ripped the scar off". But there's that feeling, you know?

The polysporen is working wonders on her right now.

I never thought about using motrin.. I have so much to learn about bunny meds.. I feel like such an idiot.

I left home at 9 am this morning. Forgot my cell and therefore couldn't get a cab, so I carried two very heavy boxes while travelling to Surrey!

She had minor back sugery. I mentioned gas and stasis to Dr. Prus's assistent... but I'm not sure it made it to her. Julia from SARS offered her critical care just in case.. I bought some oval and I'm trying to get some pumpkin. I took the day off tomorrow to give her a whole day of belly massages, syringe water feedings, and gas meds.

Minor back sugery isn't going to "heal" her, but she really needed it done. I really do think she has stasis.. and I feel stupid for not realizing it earlier.

I held her last night after some peppermint tea, and cried thinking this may be my last time spent with her. I'm picking her up tomorrow, and hopefully it gets better from then. But we'll see...

Pretty much any open wound on a bunny is treated like an abscess, they are SO prone to infection. I expect the vet will put her on antibiotics, etc. (Dr. Pruss?)

I was armed with Betadine when I went to see you, probably will prescribe that, at least they should. (Its the orange stuff they pour all over everythingpre-surgery).

When I have cuts around here, I'll clean around the edges with peroxide (very dangerous directly in the wound tho) and usePolysporin on itwhen I don't have Betadine, but not the kind with pain reliever, it will cause a tummy upset when licked off.

What makes you think it's stasis? Was she normal before the scab came off? Otherwise a gut slowdown is a typical reaction to pain.

When did she last poop and what did they look like?

sas :?

She had been pooping.. the only reason I know is because she sat in her own feces while going (including cecotrophs) and they became stuck to her. I spent a good half hour gently taking them off with a small bath (Only got her bottom wet). They weren't the greatest droppings - smaller and irregular shaped.

I'm off to school now to do a small test, then off to pick up my Muffy baby around 1 -ish.

When I picked her up, I peeked inside the carrier.. she was lying down, hiding under the blanket, and I what I thought was streching...

I had a very long conversation with the vet about stasis. She assured me that she did not believe 100% that Muffy has gas or stasis.

Muffy's breathing is very irregular. I bought critical care. They didn't want to give her metacam or any pain meds because their first priority was her breathing.

I brought Muffy and Labrador home.. opened up the carrier and out came Labrador. Muffy lay in there - still, quite, and laboured breathing. I thought about euthanization as much as it breaks my heart - but the vet really does believe she'll pull through after a couple days and I will try too.

I had to force feed her critical care, antibiotics, and a water. I really hate seeing her this way... The vet says she ate overnight, and I hope Muffy will continue it here as well...

Oh Sweetie...C'mon, Muffy!! You can pull through this, Sweetheart!!

Try to keep calm, Hun...the more stressed you are, the more stressed Muffy will be...I hope to hear that she's doing better later on...

Praying for you both... :pray: :hug:

Rosie*

Yes they did give her sub Q fluids. And on my bill, it says she had to be given it twice.

I went out to buy some pumpkin ( A bit of her antibiotics squirted in my mouth, and dang was it bitter and disgusting! ) I came home and saw she had moved a little bit, she still looks the same.

Miss Muffy please pull through for me =[

Latest posts

Back