RIP: Please pray for Houdini

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to add this for folks....

For once - I'm really and truly ok with a rabbit's passing. I cried and cried and cried last night when I realized that I may have to make the choice of having an animal put to sleep. I've done that twice before - and while I knew it was the best decision in each case - it was one of the toughest things I've ever done. To feel responsible for an animal's passing....is a horrible feeling...even when it is the right choice.

Part of me - almost wanted the vet to tell me to have Houdini put to sleep. I saw his struggle - but I also saw his will to live. I think that if the vet had said he felt it was the best thing - I would have been relieved.

I saw Houdini's struggle on the trip home - and once we got home. I think that in my heart of hearts - I wanted him to pass - and I wanted him to pass peacefully.

It looks like he did so.

So I'm really ok - you don't have to worry if I'm ok.

Because in a way - I'm relieved. As much as I wanted to keep Houdini alive - I was relieved to see him go. It was best for him.

And thanks to all of you who care....I do appreciate it.

I want to say a special thanks to:

• Randy - for being so gracious as to take time to talk to me on the phone and discuss different options and why they were or weren't best.
  • Angieluv - for caring enough to look at the various options to see what might work and wanting to know more about what was going on.
  • Pipp - for reminding me that this is a medical area and that the more information we share here - the more it can help others in the future.
  • Polly - who reminded me that I need sleep too and that I couldn't help Houdini if I was totally exhausted
  • and everyone else who posted......your posts really mean a lot to me.
I may or may not do a Rainbow Bridge thread. Other than this post - most of y'all didn't know Houdini. He was just one of many luv-buns who liked to get his head scratched every night at feeding time and would rather get pets...than his supper. Well - he wanted his supper too....but he wanted the head petting first...

Binky-free at the Bridge, Houdini.:rainbow:

I'm sorry that you lost him, but I'm glad that you are at peace with his passing. Take care, and know that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Peg, I'm so very sorry I missed all this.:( I also want to say that in a weird way, like you, I'm glad you didn't have to have him pts, that would have torn you up. Thinking of you. Try to get some sleep.

:rainbow:Houdini

Peg, you did a wonderful job.

SOmetimes when it's time, it's time.

Rest in peace, Houdini.

Peg, I don't know how you have been able to handle these losses. The thought of each one has made my heart ache for you. You are a very strong lady!

I'm so sorry about Houdini, but I am glad he didn't linger in pain. RIP little one.

I'm so sorry. He was quite a fighter, and must have wanted to stay around for some more head scratches! I'm glad he went peacefully.

Binky free, Houdini.:bunnydance:

I've talked to Zin - and when I talked to Rusty before Houdini passed - the general thought was that he probably got bit by a brown recluse spider or something else that is poisonous like that.

One person told me that they've heard of a 400 pound calf dying from a spider bite in 2 days....people can get ill and maybe die from them (if not rushed to the ER) in a day or so too.

So a 3 pound bunny? Sometimes you just can't win against the "black rabbit" (of death).

I really don't think he had much of a chance.....

I miss him so much at feeding time - he was such a little lover.

By the way - he was named Houdini because when he was young - he would try to sneak out of his cage all the time. He was fairly good at it too...

I originally replied to your thread without realizing the current situation. :cry2I am so very sorry for your loss.

It's obvious that you pulled out all the stops regarding Houdini's care; but it would seem that he felt it was the right time to leave this nutty planet. And he left itin a more peaceful state, which is more than for which we could ever hope.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. :hug2::pray::pink iris:

Binky free, onward and upward, sweet Houdini. :rainbow: You and your kind momma will one day meet again.

Jenk

Latest posts

Back