RIP: Please pray for Houdini

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I've been treating Houdini for what looked like allergies. His grandmother (Miss Bea) has allergies so I wasn't too awfully worried. Then last night - he had green discharge from his nose - and when I flipped him to look at him - his privates were black.

My first thoughts were "testicular cancer". When I talked to someone else - they suggested maybe a really bad bug bite.

We did what we could to make him comfortable during the night so he could fight this...but I honestly expected him to be gone when I awoke.

I forgot...he's Miss Bea's grandson. She's as stubborn as mule - or more so.

So after calling the local vet and explaining the situation and having them say, "We won't even look at him"....we rushed him to the vet 70+ miles away.

When I first spoke w/ the vet I explained what I had done - and why I had done it. He sort of smiled and said, "It sounds like you had things under control...and you need me why?" Then he looked at Houdini....

It turns out he has some sort of septicimia going on (a really really bad infection in his body). He will probably lose at least part of his privates as the skin is dying (I am probably saying that wrong - I forget the term he used).

In addition to this - he also has pneumonia.

I asked him if we should consider putting him to sleep. He was like, "If they have a heartbeat, I believe in fighting and doing what we can."

As we were getting ready to leave - I was pushing him to find out Houdini's odds. He really didn't want to say...he said, "I could say there's a 90% chance he doesn't make it - and he could....or you might give up if it were that. I really don't know for sure. I'm pleased that he's standing on his own - he's not dehydrated and he's pretty calm. If I had to give odds - I'd say 60/40 - with him having 40% chance of making it."

I got to thinking about it on the way home. He's Miss Bea's grandson - and she's so stubborn. He hung onto life last night when we didn't think he'd make it.

I'm upping his odds to 45% just based on that.

I'm sure if y'all will pray - that will increase his odds too.

On a separate note - his meds and visit came to $93. Ouch...especially when you add in gas.

I prayed about it before I went - I felt like we were supposed to do it anyway even though I knew it would be expensive.

When I got home and grabbed the mail - I had two paychecks...totally $188 - a bit over twice as much as his visit cost.

I think I'm going to put the whole amount back into the emergency vet fund.....I have been keeping my eye on Miss Bea as her allergies make me really nervous....so I've tried to keep money set aside extra special for her...

Very sad news, and I find it apauling your local vet wouldn't even look at him!

Hope he can pull it through, be strong for him and he'll be strong for you.

I forgot to mention - we're going to be fighting stasis too....as he can't really eat.

And I knew when I called the local vets that they don't handle rabbits. They never have - and have pretty much let me know that they never will. Both of the vet clinics in town are like that.

Life is different when you live in a small town.....you don't have as much access to vet care.

I live in a small city surrounded by country and the vet care here is better than yours but terrible when I hear of the vets in Milwaukee and surrounding area.

I'm wondering what kind of meds the vets gave him, also I know that you can give fluids and take care of the stasis situation. Septicemia is blood posioning ..meaning the bacteria from the infection has entered the blood stream. This is very serious.
i would guess his genitals were gangrenous. is that what he said?

I am now giving bicillin to a friend's rabbit with head tilt (Randy is helping me) and am wondering whether something like bicillin would help Houdini. The drug is inexpensive and the syringes and needles I can get at farm and fleet. i do order sterile water for injection on-line but in an emergency situation you could opt not to dilute it.
but first let me know what med's he's on...
and i sure hope he improves

My main point in posting this thread was to ask for prayers for Houdini. I've already gotten medical advice that I trust and am forwarding my medical questions to someone for a second opinion.

However, I've answered your questions below. I'm not going to be sharing all the details at this point in time - partly because I want the second opinion and partly because when something like this happens - I think folks should see a vet if at all possible.

angieluv wrote:
I live in a small city surrounded by country and the vet care here is better than yours but terrible when I hear of the vets in Milwaukee and surrounding area.

I'm wondering what kind of meds the vets gave him, also I know that you can give fluids and take care of the stasis situation. Septicemia is blood posioning ..meaning the bacteria from the infection has entered the blood stream. This is very serious.
i would guess his genitals were gangrenous. is that what he said?

I mainly started this thread simply to ask for prayers for him. I've shared with a few people what he said - but I'm not sure it needs to be out in the open forum for everyone. I definitely will NOT be posting pictures of him as it would be disturbing to some folks I'm sure. (I know you didn't ask for pictures...I'm just giving everyone a head's up - that I wont' be doing that).

I am now giving bicillin to a friend's rabbit with head tilt (Randy is helping me) and am wondering whether something like bicillin would help Houdini. The drug is inexpensive and the syringes and needles I can get at farm and fleet. i do order sterile water for injection on-line but in an emergency situation you could opt not to dilute it.
but first let me know what med's he's on...
and i sure hope he improves

As a breeder, I've used bicillin many times and keep insulin needles on hand for when I need to give it. Trust me - I'm very experienced with that and have gone through many many needles giving those meds to rabbits. I u se lactated ringers to cut the bicillin so it doesn't sting so badly and I regularly use them to treat rabbits with stasis.

The stasis doesn't bother me - I've pulled rabbits through it before and know how to handle it. Its the waiting for the meds to kick in for the infection.

My vet preferred something else. He felt like the bicillin would work against the baytril he's on.

polly wrote:
ouch poor Houdini :(sending loads of healing thoughts and vibes your way
Thanks so much. That is what I really need right now. I have the sources to get medical help - but its the prayers and emotional support that I need at the moment.

I was up with him till almost 2 am - then up again at 7 am to check on him (I HAD to get some sleep).

So right now I'm wiped out. I'm scared to take a nap for fear we lose him while I'm napping and I'm not there for him...

But I think I will nap - because at this point - I've done all I can. The vet has done what they can. Now it is a waiting game....

Have I ever mentioned - I hate waiting???

I forgot to add (I'm half dead right now - I'm sorry - I am doing good to remember my name)....the vet called it something like "neucrotic tissue".....or skin or something like that.

I knew the "neucrotic" comes from the same word as "necropsy"...so it has something to do with dead skin....or something.

And I have stuff to use to help it to heal (sorta) so it can fall off. Or dry it up so it can fall off?

Either way - the vet has given me the advice I need...

That sounds horrible, poor Houdini :(

I'm definately thinking of you guys and hoping and sending all the good thoughts I can that he'll be ok. I know he's in very good hands with you, and I'm sure, that if he has anything like Miss Bea's personality, he'll fight this hard...

:hug: Jen xx

Oh no, poor Houdini. :pray:

TinysMom wrote:
My main point in posting this thread was to ask for prayers for Houdini. I've already gotten medical advice that I trust and am forwarding my medical questions to someone for a second opinion.

However, I've answered your questions below. I'm not going to be sharing all the details at this point in time - partly because I want the second opinion and partly because when something like this happens - I think folks should see a vet if at all possible.

It's good youposted your prayer request in the Infirmary thread because this is not a common issue and sharing knowledge mayindeed help another bunny in the future. AngieLuv is verycapable of offering a thirdopinion that I would certainly give weight toin conjunction with the others.

You have alwaysbeen the one to point out that finding vet care is not always possible. Some people don't even have the luxury of a rabbit savvy vet within 70 miles. I would sincerely hope that the ones that do will not attempt to self treat this kind of issue in particular. These symptoms could have come from many things -- for that matter, the exact cause doesn't appear to have been determined, although it's a moot point.

I would encourage you to share details and to at listen to other opinions on the board.

I really hope Houdini pulls through. I know first hand how dangerous septicimia can be, but I also know you've given him prompt treatment and thus it is beatable.

sas :pray: :clover:

I hope he does well. I know it's scary but he's tough as you have said and that's got to count for a lot.

Poor guy... keep us posted on him!

I am about to go nap (thanks to Polly pushing me to do so). I've had about 8-9 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours....and I normally need close to 8 hours per day. If I go back 72 hours...I've had about 12 hours of sleep. Needless to say - I've been shortchanging myself.

So I will update everyone later on about him. I just checked in on him in a bit and he was resting - I won't say comfortably - but he was resting.

I am waiting on some more information but his current plan of treatment is to have injectible baytril twice a day, sub-q fluids until he's eating and drinking on his own (the vet wants me to use a saline solution bag - not the lactated ringers I normally use for bunnies in stasis or who are getting Pen G) and also some stuff to put on him - I don't have the bottle handy - but I pour this bottle into a gallon of distilled water and use it to wipe the dead skin area and also his nose area. Its a disinfectant of some sort.

The vet and I differ on a couple of things and that is what I'm waiting to hear back on....I think he needs pain meds - the vet would prefer I not use that as it might mess up his stomach and his respiratory system.

I don't understand what caused this - the vet didn't know either. His attitude was, "Let's worry about getting him over it instead of wondering what caused it."

He did say that it was to my credit (excuse me for bragging on myself) that Houdini was still alive. He said that the care I took since he started showing signs last night - was well thought out. (He had Pen G - sub q fluids, pain killer, and other care).

He was shocked at how alert Houdini was - and how curious he was. (Funny thing - on the way there - we swore we were losing him more than once). He also was pleased that Houdini was NOT dehydrated.

Anyway - off to get some SLEEP....

Poor little guy. Just goes to show you how well rabbits can hide a very serious medical issue. I hope he gets better! :clover:

PS the vet probably was saying "necrotic" tissue, which means it is dead tissue. Just if a body part like a toe gets low blood circulation, turns black and has to be amputated,or if you have frostbite so bad that the tissue turns black anddies. It sounds like the word "necropsy" because they both have the root word for "dead" in them. Necrotic means that the tissue is dead or dying, and necropsy is a dissection performed on an already dead animal to determine the cause of death. Not cheery at all, but I'm certainly hoping for the best for you. You will know what to do, and he will know if he can keep on fighting this. :grouphug

Wow - it is amazing what some sleep will do for a person. I don't feel human yet - but I may feel that way soon.

First of all - Houdini is still alive. To say I'm in shock is an understatement. I really was afraid I'd wake up from napping to find he'd passed. At one point during my nap - I got Robin to flip him and clean out his nose just so he could breathe better.

I just got off the phone w/ Randy after discussing the medical information with him.

The current plan is to do some things - but not other things. I'm not going to do sub-q fluids but instead - try to syringe pedialyte into Houdini. I'm going to the store in a few minutes to get some. We're also going to work on getting canned pumpkin into him. The reasoning for not doing sub-q is that he has fluid in his lungs and Randy feels he doesn't need the additional pressure from sub-q fluids vs. taking them in a syringe. We also discussed using Critical Care and that may be added in a day or so - but right now - we just want to keep the gut moving and keep him hydrated.

Randy feels strongly against Baytril and is most definitely pro Pen G. Of course, the vet is most definitely pro Baytril and it is injectible. So now I have the decision to make - whether to go w/ the injectible baytril or continue on the Pen G. Randy feels the Pen G kept him alive this long...I just don't know. Part of my gut says, "Don't use the Baytril" but I know others who have used it and like it. I'm going to read some more on this a bit. Randy was sharing the names of some major vets in the nation who don't use baytril anymore with rabbits.

Randy feels Houdini does need pain meds - I agree. So he's going to get a bit of pain meds in a bit.

I forget what else right now - I'm still pretty tired.

I'd love to hear opinions and comments and I'm going to try to grab some coffee or something and be more awake in a bit.

Thanks to everyone who cared enough to share - I just went in to check on Houdini again - I'd been in there just moments ago while talking with Randy on the phone....and he passed away during that time.

He looked like he went to sleep and just didn't wake up. (He was awake and sitting up when I checked on him).

Latest posts

Back