(RIP) Please can someone help me fast

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

Reaction score
My friends rabbit had an absess and they had it removed then it came back and they left it open so they have to squeeze the stuff out of it everyday but now the bunnies not eating and hes really old and i don't want him to die - she said earlier she thinks hes on his last legs :(:(:(:(:(:(

I don't know much about abscesses, but I'll share what I do.

He needs to have a culture done on the puss, and then use the appropriate antibiotic. Many people use injectable antibiotics, injected everyday or every second day, like Penicillin, Pen-G, Biccillin.

Most jaw abscesses are caused by problems with the teeth. Chances are his molar roots are growing funny and getting infected. So an investigation into his teeth should also be done.

Keep him hydrated with lots of fluids and if he's not eating, you can soak some pellets in water and syringe him them.

--Dawn

Unfortunately there is very little we can do. That rabbit needs a rabbit savvy vet ASAP, but I've just told you that.

If he does die we will support you through it.

Agreed. Try force feeding pellet slurry or critical care and force hydrating to keep him going. Best of luck...

Okay just had some great news she said:

Jess bit iffy. Will keep draining and chealning hole for as long as he seems happy. He's eating, drinking and hopping okay

I'll keep ya'll updated though :D

He needs to be on pain meds and strong antibiotics and they also need to find the 'root' cause of the problem, which is probably his roots :p

Flashy wrote:
He needs to be on pain meds and strong antibiotics and they also need to find the 'root' cause of the problem, which is probably his roots :p
:yeahthat:

He REALLY needs pain meds and antibiotics....as quickly as possible.

This would be like us saying, "Its ok Becca if you have a boil on your butt...you can still sit on it and we'll just drain it once a day..".

The boil would hurt like crazy...and you would need something to take care of the root cause.

Ditto to the above advice :nod. Draining the pus will get rid of what the rabbit's immune systemhas produced in response to the infection, but it is very unlikely to cure the source of the boil. In the meantime, it must be uncomfortable for the rabbit.

Jo xx

This is the update I got yesterday:

Hi Been to vets today, she was pleased, abcess is going down. she gave him another injection and will again on friday. she is looking into what it said on forum. many thanks x

:D

Becca
here are a list of articles on abscesses some more recent than others. If your friends rabbit has an abscess and it is treated with penicillin G or bicillin it will be need to be continued every other day (bicillin) or daily (procaine penicillin) for it to have the kind of effect that you are looking for ..which would be complete eradication of the abscess.
If not treated aggressively they will reoccur ; Randy would suggest the use of another drug with the penicillin like zithromax or chlorampenical..usually zithromax (also called azithromycin)

The Marcy Moore article is not new but is helpful

Randy usually is willing to talk to any patient"s vet to assist in helping them understand the protocol , sometimes add another drug etc. so keep that in mind

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10
I am really glad that this rabbit is getting the help he needs.

Jess ( the bun) is getting along fine, I have spoken to the owner today. Every other day he has to have an injection so I'm guessing its bicillin.

Though I will keep you all updated :)

We can't get Bicillin over here but it is probably a different penicillin.

Latest posts

Back