RIP little HOLLY rabbit losing weight - fast!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
countrybunnyholly wrote:
We have been to two vets, and treated her for both hairball and worms.
When was she treated for worms.....and what did they use?

Hi Jim,

She was given three doses of Panacur about a week ago. We are seeing yet a third vet today at noon. She continues to lose weight, but I do see her eating (hay and kale mostly) We've given her a dish of water in addition to the water bottle, and we also offer water by syringe, which she takes. I'll update when we get back. Thanks again to all of you who've written. Your support is so kind.

Something about KALE is a problem for rabbits if you use it in high amounts. I can't find the information I need but maybe someone else can help.

Might the KALE be an issue? do you feed it to her all the time?

slavetoabunny wrote:
Kale can cause gas with bunnies.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Something about KALE is a problem for rabbits if you use it in high amounts. I can't find the information I need but maybe someone else can help.

Might the KALE be an issue? do you feed it to her all the time?

I've found a few things but I cannot find the symptoms - KALE contains a high amount of oxalates. Oxalate toxicity can cause kidney problems but I think more than that....

Oxalates are actually a non-issue, per email with Susan Smith, renowned rabbit vet and rabbit nutrition expert. Check the second post:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

FYI, calcium in fresh veggies is also a non-issue because of the water supplied with the veggies. The dietary amounts are measured in dry weights of food and do not take the water into account. So that's generally not an issue either, for future reference.

Good luck with the third vet!

cool. I have always limited kale for the bunnies.

I do notice that when they have the higher calcium veggies, I see darker urine.

Could be because of the vitamins. Excreted calcium (which is healthy and normal) looks like whitish sand. I feed lots of kale, collards, and cabbage and it doesn't seem to change the urine in my buns.

I don't know. They get the reddish urin when they have a lot of veggies too. We also have well water so that could be something.....

OK - vet #3 did a fecal exam - negative. Then he anesthetized her to get a better look at the teeth. He found that the molars were rubbing against the tongue and filed them back. He still couldn't say for sure if that was causing all her problems. She is now on a mixture of Critical Care and Ensure, plus timothy hay. However, she is taking a long time to recover from the anesthesia, maybe because of her weakened condition? It has been 9 hours now and she still can't sit up or move her back legs. Is that typical? It's very scary to see her like this. Still, we are getting as much into her as possible, especially water. I will have to take her back next week, but I have to admit, she looks worse than ever tonight. If we lose her, my daughter will be so upset....please pray for Holly.:pray:

Oh I'm so sorry. Nine hours and not being able to sit up is scary. That's not typical- rabbits will be groggy for nine hours after, but the fact that she can't lift her head up yet can indicate something else. Granted she's sick, but still. Talk to the vet about it, give them a call. I'd be worried. Yes, nine hours later they may still be groggy, but not lifting the head is something that should at least be addressed.

I'm so sorry you're having all these problems with Holly. I hope she gets better.

Thanks, Ivory. I am really very afraid for her tonight. I won't call the vet though - it's 10:30 here. I wish I had asked them how long it would take to shake off the anesthesia. They seemed to think she was fine when we left. It's so sad for animals, isn't it? Because they can't tell you anything.

I'm not sure where you are located in NJ but I would get her to the emergency vet if she takes a turn for the worst. Iheard the ER in Langhorne is good and so is the one at Penn. Red Bank is the other option.

i am so sorry for your baby!

first off, how is her urine? is she peeing a lot but only a little ammount?

i am really thinking shehas kidney problems.

this happened to my fuz. I did everything i could for her. they thought her weight loss might have been from her teeth hurting her too. With kidney problems, no matter how much they eat they sitll lose weight. fuz's poos were small too.

i would definaly do some sort of blood test as this is the only way i at least know how they can check it

not to be the bearer of bad news but if it is kidney problems there is not much you can do for her. i am sorry she does have kidney problems. this happended to fuz about 3 weeks ago. she was only 2 years. i had her for only one month.

i hope this is not the case, and is something else but i hope i have helped.

hope your baby gets better:brownbunny

Dear Friends,

I'm sorry to report that we made the decision today to put Holly down. I had called the vet over the weekend, and he did not feel that the paralysis had anything to do with the anesthesia but just was the progression of something yet unidentified. We took her back to the office this morning,just able to keep her head up, and dehydrated despite us feeding her critical care and water several times a day. She was so pitiful, and since the doctor had no specific guesses as to where to go next, he was still proposing a large battery of tests that may or may not lead to a cure. I just couldn't put her through anymore, and her beautiful eyes just seemed to say "let me go." It was so hard! But I want to thank you all so much for your concern and support. It made all the difference to me.

Even as we learn to let go of Holly, we are expecting a new litter of babies next week. They will be her brothers and sisters, and we hope to name one (or more) after her. My daughter is very creative with names, so we'll see what she comes up with.

I'll leave you with my gratitude and the inscription my daughter left at Holly's backyard grave today: Holly Berry - Champion, Pet, Friend

I'm so sorry about Holly- I had a rabbit named Holly, who I called Holly Berry, who passed on about a year ago.

RIP little Holly, you were a good rabbit and a good broad doe and a champion. Her inscription is fitting.

We'd love to hear about the new bunnies and litters. Perhaps you could make a blog and update it occasionally. But don't do anything you don't want to, of course.

Oh no :( I'm so very sorry about this. Something just didn't seem right about the whole situation.

Bless her little heart :( RIP baby girl.

Poor Holly, you did the right thing its so difficult i hoep you will be able to gain other things from this forum and keep visiting.

:angel:rip Holly

Latest posts

Back