(RIP) I think Cooper is dying - HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuggys Mom

Reaction score
No vets available until Monday morning. What can I do until then?

Cooper had his ear amputated August 3rd (malignant tumor). He has been doing very well until a couple of days ago. He stopped eating his pellets, though he was still eating salads and hay. He has twonew lumps I noticed a few days ago. The vet is going to biopsy them on Monday.

Today he stopped eating altogether. He hasn't had much water, either. Igave hima shallow dish with vanilla flavored water and he drank a little. I tried to syringe himwater, but he won't swallow. It just rolls out of his mouth and I had the syringe pretty far in.

I had injectible Metacam on hand and gave him a shot. It was hard to find skin to pull up because he's dehydrated.

He let me hold him for a long time, which is unusual for him.

He is also doing something weird. It's like he has hiccups. He has slight jerking movements every couple of minutes. Is that pain related?

I know he needs fluids, but I can't get anything into him. I have syringes. Can I inject him with saline? Anything? I'm desperate.

I don't really have any help but I'm sure someone else will. I am praying for you and Cooper. Get better Cooper. :pray:

Hi,

It could be a number of things. I agree that he needs hydration. Is there anyone you can call....even a human medical professional like a nurse or technician or an EMT....that can administer sub-q fluids....preferably Lactated Ringers? And I would not give Metacam if there is any hint of dehydration. That drug should always be used with a properly hydrated animal (even humans) and we always supplement hydration when using it. You can use Saline if you don't have LRS....but the LRS does have electrolytes that will help....but Saline is better than nothing. It almost sounds like he is in shock for some reason. Make sure his body temp is normal....if it's elevated....most likely an infection, if it's low....most likely shock for some reason. Montitor him closely to see if he presents any signs of what is going on. Help him maintain proper body temp by cooling or heating as necessary. Wish I could offer more...our thoughts are with you and Cooper.

Randy

Randy - can you give any recommendations on how much should be injected? I forget his weight...if Laura is on - maybe she can share it?

Peg

[align=center]:bigtears:[/align]
[align=center]Gosh I am so sorry :hug::cry2[/align]
[align=center]I'm crying with you...[/align]
[align=center]:cry4:[/align]

:bigtears::bigtears:

I'm so sorry.

EDITED TO ADD: I just changed the title of the thread to indicate that he has passed away....and I'll wait for Snuggy's mom to post over in the Rainbow Bridge and we can also post our condolances there as well as here. (I'll see if she wants this thread moved or wants to do a memorial thread or combine the two or whatever...).

Snuggys Mom wrote:
He's gone

NOOOOOO, crying my heart out, I am so Sorry for you, please try to look after yourself...oh I just want to help!!!

Rest in peace little Cooper:in tears:

No no no, not another bunny, this can't be real.:bigtears:

I'm so sorry Laura, I had so hoped Cooper would be ok, after all you had been through with him. This is so unfair...:sad:

Binkie free Cooper :rainbow:

Oh no! Not Cooper! My heart is breaking with you. Thanks for giving him a wonderful life, not matter how short it was...for getting him the vet care and surgery he needed...and most of all for loving him so deeply.

Hugs to you.:hug1

Binky free, sweet Cooper.:bunnyangel:

-Mary Ellen

Back