RIP GJ & GRACIE: THIS IS SERIOUS! (CLOSED RB)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry you lost Gracie :( I can't offer mcuh in the way of medical advice, but I do agree with the others, that it sounds like a real emergency and a vets trip is needed straightaway...

Good luck :hug:

I'm going to back out of this thread because you're being helped now by people who are far more capable than I am. I was so focused on the idea it might be heat stroke - I didn't even think of internal injuries, etc. And I'm so used to not having a vet available on weekends - I didn't even think of that.

However - I agree with them and really encourage you to get him to a vet. He very well could have injuries you can't find without an XRay.

I want to wish you the best of luck.....and I'll be praying for you and GJ.

TinysMom wrote:
undergunfire wrote:
Amy - its showing the temp as 83......we might get down to that about 3 am in the mornings here....

Is that high for where y'all are? Just curious....

We don't have AC in our house here in Prescott, so when it does get close to 80, yes...I see signs of heat stress. I keep fans blowing into their cages and a swamp cooler in their room. So, inside the house (in their room) it stays about 75.

We are talking outside in 83 degrees, though. It could have been close to 120 degrees in the sunlight, if Georgie and Gracie didn't get out of the sun.

I'm so sorry for your losses. I have edited the title of your thread for you.

RIP George (GJ) and Gracie.

:bigtears:

I still don't know how I am going to tell Terry, the lady I got them from. Mom says to wait till she calls then she will talk. It hurts so bad. I don't think GJ would have lasted without Gracie anyhow. They have been together since birth.

I think I'm supposed to take Valerie, another Flemish, when she gets altered sometime this month. I'm am very hesitant. I'm not sure...

BluMagic wrote:
I still don't know how I am going to tell Terry, the lady I got them from. Mom says to wait till she calls then she will talk. It hurts so bad. I don't think GJ would have lasted without Gracie anyhow. They have been together since birth.

I think I'm supposed to take Valerie, another Flemish, when she gets altered sometime this month. I'm am very hesitant. I'm not sure...

I would call Terry once you have calmed down and expain what happened. Depending on the situation, they may not adopt out to you again. Was this a rescue or a breeder?

If you do get another bunny, you just need to be extra careful to keep dogs away from your bunny. I would also keep the bunny inside. Arizona's heat is too harsh for a bunny.

She has a sort of rescue/foster thing. I'm going to have my mom call her.

I have never had problems with my Boxer and rabbits. Thats why I was so shocked. She lays with them and licks them. I think she tried to lick them and they panicked, so my dog thought it was a game. But I can't blame anyone but myself.

angieluv wrote:
i am still unsure whether it was heat or the dogs? :(

With how sudden it was, I am sure it was the dog. Even if there were no bite marks...the dog could have chased them or picked on them a bit.

BluMagic wrote:
Why are you hesitant?

I am going to say something but I don't want you to beat yourself up over it. Accidents happen and we can lose rabbits even when we think we're doing our best.

I honestly think your rabbits died from a combination of the heat - and possibly stress from the dog. But I've lost rabbits before to heat issues - and GJ especially reminds me of this. The doe I lost to seizures was outside in nice weather which my other does were used to getting playtime in. She wasn't...and she just couldn't stand the change. I'd had her less than a week....and while she had been outside once or twice in the week....it just got to her.

Either way - whether the rabbits died from the heat - or the dog - you can avoid these things. How? Its really easy. Don't put your rabbits out in the heat in the summer. Zeus LOVES being outside - but it is about 80 degrees here in the mornings when I first get up and I don't want to risk putting him out and having him get too hot. So he won't be going outside again for playtime until after Labor Day....no matter how much I want to get pictures of him playing. Also - don't put them out in the heat of the day - put them out for a bit in early morning or late afternoon. Make sure there is a water bowl - and be there with them. Make sure the dog is kenneled or locked up somewhere so it can't scare them.

What happened was a mistake - a tragic mistake. Yes, it c ould have been avoided. But the upside is - with some care and planning - you can avoid it in the future.

I want to share a story with you - and I hope it makes you smile.

I was in Walmart the other day and this woman kept looking at me. Finally she came up to me and said, "You're the lionhead lady....aren't you?" Great....what did I do now? When I told her that I was - she said, "You don't remember me - do you?" I explained that I've talked to many people about rabbits - and then she reminded me of how I knew her.

About two years ago - she bought one of my lionheads from the feedstore. She was given some information about lionheads and told that it had to live indoors due to the heat. She had the rabbit for a few days and decided it would enjoy some exercise time outside. So she put it outside - in the shade (in its cage) - for about 20 minutes. Unfortunately - it was the heat of the day - and yes - the lionhead died....in her arms.

She called the feed store - they gave her my number. We talked. She asked if I would consider selling her a rabbit - as she really missed her other rabbit. She'd bought it for the kids - but it became hers.

I sort of hemmed and hawed about it. Yes, I had some other rabbits. Finally, I told her she could come over to look at what I had.

When she came here - the first thing she did as I was putting the rabbits in the pen for her to look at - was to say to me, "I promise you I will not put this rabbit outside and I will do whatever you tell me. I loved my rabbit and I feel so responsible for its death."

Yeah....she got another rabbit - another chance at being a bunny owner.

So when she saw me in the store -she told me how her bunny was...how he loves to play and the toys she gives him (cat toys and stuff). She told me about how big he was (he sounds like he's a good weight) and how she had another friend that was going to set their rabbit loose in the wild and she took it in and now has it too.

My point? Yes - she was responsible for the death of one rabbit. But she learned from it and moved on. Now she's a great bunny mom to two more rabbits that she loves dearly.

Learn from this - and move on. Don't be afraid to have another flemish giant.

This was a tragic accident....yes. But it was an accident.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you grieve your losses.

I'm so very sorry. It's possible that the rabbits were never exposed to a dog, and were afraid.

As Peg said, it was a tragic accident.

Pam

Oh I'm so sorry! I was jealous of you having a beautiful bonded pair of flemmies. I hope you can start to heal, figure out what happened, and use the information to take care of other bunnies in the future. Everyone makes mistakes and sometimes things happen that you just can't anticipate.

Binky free, big beautiful bunnies.

:rainbow:

Latest posts

Back