RIP GJ & GRACIE: THIS IS SERIOUS! (CLOSED RB)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluMagic

Reaction score
I let the rabbits out in the yard to graze and relax as I do everyday. Today I went inside to watch the last three minutes of Olympic basketball. When I cam back out teh rabbits were fine, just laying together. I took a bathroom break and came out again.....

Both rabbits wre lying on their backs. I ran out and saw my dog laying near them. Guys, Gracie is gone! GJ was breathing rapidly and his eyes were rolling in the back of his head. I picked him up and ran inside with him. This happened no more thantwenty minutes ago. I am still holding Gj and his breathing is settling a bit. He is moving more and snorting when I move him. Can I get more advice???

Guys, I am bawling like a baby. This is not the first time I've lost a rabbit. I feel so horrible! I need help........

I'm so sorry. What a terrible tragedy. I wish there was some way to fix things - I know you are heart broken. I GJ still showing signs of improvement?

Pam

I'm not sure I'm following. Were they on their backs from the heat - or from being attacked by an animal?

Were they already used to being outside in the sun sometimes? I'm only asking 'cause I know it is awfully hot out today...

Let me find some information for you on rabbits and heatstroke...the big thing is do NOT use ice water to cool the rabbit down. Use cool water - but not ice water.

From our library:

SYMPTOMS/SIGNS OF DANGER OF HEAT STROKE:

1) Rabbit is laying stretched out

2) Panting or heavy breathing

3) Sometimes there's foaming at the mouth

4) Muzzle is wet

Tips for prevention of Heat Stroke:

Heatstroke can kill a rabbit very quickly. Some things that you can do to prevent such an untimely and unnecessary death for your lagamorph are listed below.

1) Be sure to provide your rabbit shade. Rabbits can get sun/heat stroke just by having their cage in the sun. Best to be sure the location of the cage is away from where the sun rays will beam in.

2) Don't subject your rabbit to extreme temperatures: hot or air conditioning. Air conditioning can be used, but it's best to have your rabbit in a separate room so that the room doesn't get too cold or the air isn't blowing on the rabbit.

3) Be sure they have a lot of water; they tend to drink more in the summer to stay cool.

4) You can use a fan. I like toaimthe fanso that the air will reach part of the cage, but if the rabbit feels it's too much,s/he can move out of the way. If you're going to keep your fan on all day, best to keep it on low.

5) If the rabbit is indoors, on really hot days Iclose the shades to keep out as muchheat as possible.

6) If the rabbit is outside, you may want to mist the ears a bit in the heat of the afternoon.

7) Some people fill old milk cartons or soda bottles with cold water and put them in the cage with their rabbit so that s/he can lean up against it if it gets very hot.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?

1) Get the rabbit to a cool area. Get a fan, and put it on him/her with a speed of medium or low.

2) You can dip your rabbit in a Lukewarm bath if it is almost lifeless. Dip up to the ears. Never immerse the rabbit completely in the water. You have to work on bringing its temperature down slowly. Putting it in a cold bath or directly applying ice to it's ears is not recommended or good for the rabbit. That could lead into other problems of stress and shock to its system and you could lose the rabbit that way.

3) Put a cold washcloth on the rabbit's ears. You could wrap ice cubes in a washcloth and apply to the inside and outside of the ears. The blood from the rest of the body will circulate into the rabbit's system once cooled.

4)Keep him/her hydrated, even if you have to put some water in a syringe to give orally to keep the fluids in his system up. The rabbit may have to get an intravenous tube.

5) Try to keep calm so that the rabbit doesn't get stressed.

6) Put an old milk carton or soda bottle in the cage filled with cold water so that the rabbit can lean up against it.

Here is the link:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=27899&forum_id=10

I think either my dog or a neighbor dog got into our yard. I am holding GJ in my lap in a damp towel. He is breathing much better but still seems scared. i'm not sure on how to help him. My first rabbit went into shock last year from a dog. He got over it that day. But I'm so worried about GJ. He's calm but not relaxed. If that makes sense.

Here is what I would do - I know George is fairly new to your home so I'm not sure if it will work.

First of all - as upset as you are about Gracie - you need to calm down and stop crying. I had a flemish giant and I once got really upset around him (long long story) and I had to walk away and calm myself down before I could go near him again. It bothered him that much to see me so upset.

So as much as you're upset about Gracie - try to stop the tears and focus on calming down - for George's sake. You can grieve about Gracie later.

I would lay down on a bed or a recliner or couch and see if he will lay beside me. The cool cloth is an excellent idea. I am guessing there are no dog bites or anything like that....that this is from either heat or stress.

Now this is just me - I'd put on some low music for "white noise"....yeah - I'm talking like elevator music or something. Maybe your tv has a music channel that is instrumental or something? I don't know - I just know when I play some instrumental music - some of my bunnies will fall asleep and the others are just stretched out relaxing. That's from experience only - and partly because the music calms me down.

I'd talk to him in a soothing voice - say his name as you talk to him. If he lets you pet him - I'd do so. Tiny would always calm down if I would rub his ears lightly - he loved that.

I know right now you're beating yourself up - but now is not the time to do so. Now is the time to focus on George....ok?

Remember this - hindsight is always 20/20. We see things and understand them better AFTER they've happened.

We're here for you...

BluMagic wrote:
Could he have had a seizure? My mom said it looked like it when i picked him up from outside....
I once had a doe have a seizure and die....she was outside - under a tree (in a pen) - the weather was gorgeous - about 75 - the sun wasn't out too much and it was morning.

We never knew for sure if it was from heat (which I didn't think it was) - from a bug bite - or what.

If your family uses any sort of pesticides on your lawn - that could be an issue too.

I'll pull up information if I can on seizures.

My does that started having seizures had them for about an hour or two and passed....so something set her off pretty badly. I felt horrible as I'd only had her a week...

We dont' have any vets in town that work with small animals. The closest place is an hour away.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!!!! I will go and lay with GJ now.

But before I go, he keeps wanting to lie on his side...so do I let him or keep him awake? It scares me.

WHat town are you in exactly in AZ? I might be able to look something up for you. This is very serious is there is internal injuries.

ETA: Any vet should be able to check for internal injuries.

I am in St. Johns.

I don't think there is anything wrong internally but I could be wrong. I've been massaging his belly and moving his limbs every now and then.

You alone can't spot internal injuries. A vet needs to take x-rays. I would highly suggest rushing to a vet, it may save his life. He won't pass instantly from internal injuries if he has them, but it would be very painful.

How hot is it outside? Were they in the sun or shade? Are there any injuries?

Also, what plants are in your yard besides grass? It's possible they were poisoned by something.:(

I really hope GJ pulls through. :pray:

Latest posts

Back