*RIP* Frontline

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
What -are- the safe brands of flea meds to use on rabbits? I've heard Revolution (or whatever brand it is that starts with the R?) and Advantage...what is safe? I think there should be a thread started in the library about this (if not one already) to prevent slip-ups, and to let members know what's safe and what isn't. ;)

Emily

Er...

TA DAH!

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12922&forum_id=10

:biggrin2:

naturestee wrote:
What -are- the safe brands of flea meds to use on rabbits? I've heard Revolution (or whatever brand it is that starts with the R?) and Advantage...what is safe? I think there should be a thread started in the library about this (if not one already) to prevent slip-ups, and to let members know what's safe and what isn't. ;)

Emily

Er...

TA DAH!

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12922&forum_id=10

:biggrin2:
Thank you Naturestee! :)

I might as well put this here... It's the MediRabbit synopsis on seizures.

-----------

True seizures are rare in rabbits. When observed, they show a swift onset and last a few minutes. Recovery is generally complete. In rare cases, seizures leave the rabbit in a comatose state or can be accompanied by blindness. Seizure-like behavior is often related to intense pain, with the rabbit throwing itself on its side; eyes rolling in their pocket.
Idiopathic epilepsy has been observed in white furred, blue-eyed rabbits.
The cause of the seizure must be determined, before starting medication. The treatment of seizures in rabbits is commonly attempted with diazepam or midazolam, and short-term administration of glucocorticoids, in order to reduce the inflammation. In some cases, antiepileptic drugs are administrated to rabbits; unfortunately, their efficiency decreases with time.
------------

Emily

Unfortunately, there is no flea med that is completely safe and any of them can cause seizures/death in hypersensitive individuals.

Ivermectin is a drug that is used extensively in rabbits, but is also known to cause seizures in some individuals.

Pam

I wanted to say its sad she lost her bunny I hope she learn to read labels.

I was using frontline on my dogs befor we got storm as soon as I read the label it was no longer used. They do say that. This is the shelter ingorince. They need to pay the vet bill and they need to help this poorr bunny mom find another loving opet when she is ready free of charge.

Vets loose there lisciene over things like this. so a shelter wont except that they gave the women the wrong stuff when she came iin asking for something else. But to turn the tables she could of easily read the label or done research befor appling it. Which is mabye not the best thing to say but it is true. People make mistakes I gave a dog and feline luke vac once in a vet office I worked for. We where busy and I did not pay attition I paid for it with my job. But it was a good life lesson.

Note the dog is fine no addverse effect cause I now own the dog.It was over 2 years ago.

I am not sure there is a warning on a single dose of Frontline. Is it just on the box? She just bought a single dose. She is going to appeal to the director of the shelter for the vet bill today. If she is to adopt a rabbit she will adopt from GRR. The rescue Patti and I co-found. We will wave the adoption fee when she is ready.

The mistake was made at the shelter by the employee, bottom line. People assume shelters are aware of dispensing the correct items. I feel like I lost my own rabbit. I am devastated. We are giving the owner all the support we can.

I'm so sorry to hear that little Snowy has passed away. My heart goes out to his owner, who is likely struggling to accept the circumstances around his death.

I feel that the shelter should be covering the bill on this one, if nothing else but to save face. I adopted my cat Sigmund from my local shelter, and he went into liver failure less than 2 weeks after I got him home. Vet bills would have been $800 for starters. I wasn't able to afford that, so I did the aggressive syringing that was the next best option. My shelter refused to assist in any way, despite the fact that symptoms of lethargy were noted before he came home with me.

I sincerely hope that liability is assumed by the shelter, and that strong policy changes are underway. Negative experiences stemming from ignorance of shelter workers can seriously damage public perspectives. Shelters may be the first portal of interaction with a new companion animal species; they really need to be progressive in ensuring proper education for basic medical requirements (flea/tick/hairball, whatever) of the creature.

* Thank you to the GRR for supporting the owner. I'm sure this is a horrible time for all of you :hug:

:cry2 RIP Snowy :pink iris:

We should hear something later today as to whether the shelter will pay the vet bill. If they refuse, then we are encouraging the owner to file a small claims action. I have no doubt that she would be awarded her damages. Hmmmm....I wonder if Judge Judy would be interested?

GRR will be offering to adopt one of our bunnies and waive our adoption fee.

I did not mean to come off harsh. And I hope she gets all she deserves. Then some because loosing a loved pet even if only after a few days weeks.

Best of luck and find that wonderful lady a breat bun

The owner just left here. She'son her way to pick up Snowy. We had a tearful time. She brought me a thank you card and a beautiful whitedelicate plant that reminds her of Snowy. She wants me to thank all of you for your support.

She is on her way to the shelter. I will let you know the outcome. I am still crying.

This is so sad- I feel terrible for Snowy's owner :(

What a shame that Snowy died for something that so easily could have been prevented...

I hope that the shelter will cover the vet bills- sounds like the very least they can do in this situation....

:sad:

The shelter has agreed to pay the vet bill! It won't bring Snowy back, but I feel it is a great victory. I know it was the power of prayer. I prayed for her right before she left my house. It is a miracle that they agreed to pay.

bunnylady2 wrote:
The shelter has agreed to pay the vet bill! It won't bring Snowy back, but I feel it is a great victory. I know it was the power of prayer. I prayed for her right before she left my house. It is a miracle that they agreed to pay.

I'm so glad that they decided to do the right thing. I hope that lessons were learned from this. We need to that rabbit care workshop for the shelter staff soon!

Did you talk to Tammy about adopting another bunny?

slavetoabunny wrote:
bunnylady2 wrote:

I'm so glad that they decided to do the right thing. I hope that lessons were learned from this. We need to that rabbit care workshop for the shelter staff soon!

Did you talk to Tammy about adopting another bunny?
She said she is not ready yet, but her boys are! I have a feeling it will be soon. I invited her to Petco to see our rabbits. She just may fall in love at first sight!

Adding my condolences to the unnecessary loss of life because the persons were uneducated on Frontline and rabbits. Several years ago when I made regular trips to the wildlife center and talked with an office member about adopting a domestic, she told me of her loss. The vet applied Frontline to her bun as well. He convulsed and suffered seizures. And she lost him.

RIP little Snowy, how horrible that the "person/s" responsible were Unaware and caused your ultimate passing; euthanization for merciful closure.

Patti, read the riot act loud and clear.

Good thing You gals are in Rescue and educating those you come in contact with.

TreasuredFriend wrote:
Adding my condolences to the unnecessary loss of life because the persons were uneducated on Frontline and rabbits. Several years ago when I made regular trips to the wildlife center and talked with an office member about adopting a domestic, she told me of her loss. The vet applied Frontline to her bun as well. He convulsed and suffered seizures. And she lost him.

RIP little Snowy, how horrible that the "person/s" responsible were Unaware and caused your ultimate passing; euthanization for merciful closure.

Patti, read the riot act loud and clear.

Good thing You gals are in Rescue and educating those you come in contact with.

Thanks for the kind words. We are working as hard as wecan asfar as education is concerned.

By the way, Ilove Stephen Curtis Chapman!

I'm glad the shelter paid the bill. It was their mistake afterall. Hopefully that mistake won't be made again. One thing I learned over time was to read the label on prescriptions before leaving the pharmacy or the vet office. That was just to verify that it was the right medication and dosage and that the correct name was on the label.

Unexpected news, in this sad affair. I'm glad the shelter folks have the intelligence to pay for the vet bills... an even more intelligent move would be to give her any rabbit she desires.
I'm so pleased that her next rabbit would come from rabbit-savvy folks, at GRR.

Good on you girls at the GRR for stepping up to the plate for Snowy and this poor woman! Thank you for advocating for them :)

Latest posts

Back