*RIP* Frontline

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My very best wishes for a quick resolution to this mystery... Hope that some conclusive answers come tomorrow :)

I am sorry to hear about the pet store fire... hope none of the animals were injured! As for the owner though, I guess there might be some universal karma at work there..

I hope the vet has some ideas. I agree that the Frontline probably didn't cause it directly. Perhaps the bunny came into contact with other pesticides closer to the day of the first seizure and that compounded with the Frontline. My first reaction is poisoning for a seizure, but genetics could definitely play a factor. Many inbred animals have neurological defects, as you know. I hope he'll be ok.

I use Frontline on my dogs.

Since it is applied once per month and lasts for an entire month it is difficult for me to believe that the seizures are not a result of the frontline.
it is unforunate that the rabbit was not washed withing the first 24-48 hours after the application and also unfortunate that the rabbit could not be treated for fipronil poisoning. I don't know what they would have done but most likely a lot of SQ fluids would have been a part of it.

I really hope that this rabbit survives.

I wish everyone knew everything there was to know about rabbits before owning one, but, I didn't either.

But, one thing I always checked out was meds! But, in an emergency situation, it gets scary. So, I can imagine.I pray this bun makes it:pray:.

Snowy's seizures worsened and he was euthanized this afternoon. Our vet said it was definately the Frontline and there was nothing more we could do. She personally knows the Director at the shelter and is going to read him the riot act. I think they should at least pay this poor girls vet bills. Snowy's mom is devastated.

Binky free Snowy. :rip:

pamnock wrote:
It is most likely that a reaction would have occured sooner if it was due to the frontline.

This may be the first time ever for correcting Pam Nock, but delayed seizures is a typical Frontline reaction. I would really suspect that the blue-eyed white genetics was a contributing factor. (I'm going to post a 'pinned' note in the Infirmary asking all members to give the breed and color as well as the usual pertinent info -- weight, neuter status, etc).

Sorry I didn't see this sooner (computer problems) although not sure it would have done much good, I don't know what shape the rabbit was in or if anybody was in direct contact, but I do know of at least one rabbit that was successfully treated for Frontline-induced seizures with a month-long regiment of fluids, Critical Care and either an anti-seizure med and/or a tranquilizer (maybe Valium?)

Sorry that with all the info out there, a vet or shelter still didn't bother checking. And I would think by now that Frontline would put a 'do not use on rabbits' warning on the stuff. :(

sas :sad:

Pipp wrote:
Sorry that with all the info out there, a vet or shelter still didn't bother checking. And I would think by now that Frontline would put a 'do not use on rabbits' warning on the stuff. :(

Snowy's mom had called Liz and asked how to treat his fleas. She was instructed to go to the shelter and get Advantage (the shelter sells single doses). The person at the shelter told her that she could use either Frontline or Advantage. I have no idea why Frontline was chosen.

The last I heard, the shelter sent around a memo about not using Frontline for rabbits. The Director is currently adament about not reimbursing her vet bill (it was only $187) because it would be an admission of liability. I think liability is clear here. The owner is willing to sign a release of further liability if they just pay her expenses. We'll see what happens. If they don't pay, then it could get nasty. We have a number of heavyweight resources in the community that can generate some bad publicity. Having said that, we realize we have to walk a fine line here because our rescue currently enjoys a very favorable reputation with the shelter.

This is such a sad situation. There are no winners here.

Pipp wrote:
This may be the first time ever for correcting Pam Nock, but delayed seizures is a typical Frontline reaction. I would really suspect that the blue-eyed white genetics was a contributing factor. (I'm going to post a 'pinned' note in the Infirmary asking all members to give the breed and color as well as the usual pertinent info -- weight, neuter status, etc).

Could be - but nearly a week is a long time for a delayed reaction. Generally the reactions to Frontline happen within 12 hours of application.

Do you have any additional info - I haven't read any cases of delayed reactions except unproven cases. In one case, a dog had a seizure 18 days after application, but was found to have a brain tumor.

Because Snowy may also have had a genetic predisposition to seizures, it's hard to say for certain what was causing the seizures.

Pam

I'm sorry for the loss of yet another rabbit to human ignorance. At least those involved pulled out all the stops to get treatment. I would definitely get a necropsy just in case this has to go to court. This really makes me want to cry.

Whose decision was it chose Frontline?

Pipp wrote:
pamnock wrote:
It is most likely that a reaction would have occured sooner if it was due to the frontline.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner (computer problems) although not sure it would have done much good, I don't know what shape the rabbit was in or if anybody was in direct contact, but I do know of at least one rabbit that was successfully treated for Frontline-induced seizures with a month-long regiment of fluids, Critical Care and either an anti-seizure med and/or a tranquilizer (maybe Valium?)

Frontline does have a warning on it. It says do not use on other animals. DO NOT USE ON RABBITS. So, basically, a double warning.

I'm so sorry this happened.

I'm so sorry. It does sound strange that the reaction was delayed, but if it is common for frontline to cause seizures even days after application, that is something I will be sure to remember.

I have five Frontline cases referenced on my computer, one was anorexic, three had seizures, couldn't tell about the fifth.

The three with seizures appear to have had them three to six (maybe seven) days after the application.

I have several articles on it. MediVet, which also references the white-furred, blue-eyed elevated risk of nondescript (cause not identified) seizures, and other credible sources (I think including Kathy Smith's Rabbit Health in the 21st Century) also reference the delayed reaction, so it appears to be more common than not ETA especially in small and young rabbits.

It was hard to tell how painful the seizures were (although it was referenced that severe pain can cause seizures), so I can't say how much the rabbit was suffering or how much damage the seizures were causing.

Poor bunny. I hope the vet bill is covered.

sas :cry1:

The research mentions delayed "development" in young or developing animals, but nothing on delayed reactions.

It's important to remember when a reaction is suspected to be from a topical application to wash the medication off the skin ASAP! This simple treatment can often reverse symptoms almost immediately. However, it's also possible that Snowy ingested the Frontline from licking the skin - in this case however, reaction is also generally within 24 hours.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
The research mentions delayed "development" in young or developing animals, but nothing on delayed reactions.

It's important to remember when a reaction is suspected to be from a topical application to wash the medication off the skin ASAP! This simple treatment can often reverse symptoms almost immediately. However, it's also possible that Snowy ingested the Frontline from licking the skin - in this case however, reaction is also generally within 24 hours.

Not sure which research you mean? I'm trying to read from cached text on Google desktop, I haven't tracked all the phrases.

Good point re: differentiation between skin absorption and oral ingestion. I had a cat react to Advantage, but only when she licked it off the other cat. Don't recall how long before the reaction, probably a lot more immediate. Doubt the symptoms will be the same, although maybe.

Something else to mention when asking posters for info.

sas

angieluv wrote:
:bigtears:poor bunny finally got a home only to die from someone's ignorance

Not sure what you mean by "only to die from someone's ignorance"? Do you mean the fact that Frontline was used instead of Advantage?

Anyway, that's quite awful. :( How devastating for Snowy's owner.

What -are- the safe brands of flea meds to use on rabbits? I've heard Revolution (or whatever brand it is that starts with the R?) and Advantage...what is safe? I think there should be a thread started in the library about this (if not one already) to prevent slip-ups, and to let members know what's safe and what isn't. ;)

Also, pla, how could something like this go to court? I'm curious about that ;)

Emily

Latest posts

Back