(RIP) Chippy has another lump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was a not so good day for Chippy.

She been noticeably slowing down over the last week. Nothing real drastic....just not as active as she's always been.

When I got home today, she didn't come to greet me as usual. Instead she was hunched up in the back corner of her pen.
On closer inspection, I found that she has peed all over and was sitting in a small puddle.
She reluctantly let me pick her up. She wasn't really that wet...one of her back feet and her tail mostly. But, she was "leaking" the whole time I was trying to clean her up. With a little patience I was able to get her pretty clean and dry.
I noticed that she been really fussing with the lump, too. She's groomed or pulled most of the fur above it...but hasn't broken skin and it doesn't look irritated.

Then I cleaned her pen out and changed her litter pan...she had peed in several places and gotten all of her hay wet.
Surprisingly, her blanket was still clean and dry except for one little corner.
I cleaned her water and food bowls...gave her fresh water and dinner.
She ate most of the papaya, oatsies, and sunflower seeds.....but with a LOT less enthusiasm as usual.
I gave her fresh hay and she started munching away at it.
The I gave her a hay cube....she was gnawing at it last I looked.

Hopefully this was just a bad day and will pass.

:sigh:

Is she on any pain meds? It could be a UTI, but it sounds a bit to me like she was just in too much pain to move over to the litterbox. Maybe the pain scared her too, and caused her to freeze, which is why she started feeling more comfortable once you came home--she felt safer. The excessive grooming of the lump may mean it was paining her too. Just an idea; you might ask your vet to give her a prescription for some kind of pain med you can give to her if she seems uncomfortable like that again.

tonyshuman wrote:
Is she on any pain meds? It could be a UTI, but it sounds a bit to me like she was just in too much pain to move over to the litterbox. Maybe the pain scared her too, and caused her to freeze, which is why she started feeling more comfortable once you came home--she felt safer. The excessive grooming of the lump may mean it was paining her too. Just an idea; you might ask your vet to give her a prescription for some kind of pain med you can give to her if she seems uncomfortable like that again.
I agree, Jim , that chewing around the lump could indicate some discomfort in that area...:(

Could be, Pidge used to sit in one spot and pee when he was in pain. It does sound very similiar to the way Pidge reacted to pain, I don't think she has a UTI but keep an eye out, it sounds more pain related. I hope she is doing better today, I will pray for her!

She's doing much better today!!

Thanks for all of the prayers and good thoughts.

I'm thinking that it may be pain related, as well.
I'll be calling the vet first thing Monday morning to get something that I can give her for pain. Metacam perhaps?
Is there something OTC that I could give her in an emergency?

It just started snowing here, and it's not supposed to stop until tomorrow...up to a foot of the white fluffy stuff.

In the meantime...she's out for a run...
:hearts::privateeyes:hearts::hug::hearts::bunnydance::hearts::pray::hearts::rainbow::hearts::bunnyheart:hearts::hearts:hearts::love::hearts:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bunny-room-cam

Metacam would be best, but you could also use ibuprofen or asprin, although those drugs seem to have more bad effects on the stomach than Metacam.

Chippy has been doing well.

I'm not sure what was bothering her that one day, but it may have been a GI issue...maybe gas. It could also be the cancer spreading.
I'm mostly sorry because I wasn't there at the onset to help her.

The vet didn't want to prescribe pain meds, and prefers we bring her in if she'sin that much distress.
He's on call 24/7 and can meet us at the clinic by the time we get there (about 20 minutes).

I'm going away tomorrow, and MrsD will be taking care of the buns while I'm gone.
I'm going to Tanglewood Resort at Lake Wallenpaupack in the Poconos.
I'll be back on Thursday.
I don't know if I'll have internet access at the unit, but I think the resort hasWiFi at the recreation center.
Of course, I'll be calling home for daily updates.

I'm already missing my bunnies...:tears2:

angieluvwrote:

Have a good trip Jim. :)

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Yea, you're back! :bunnydance:

Thanks, Stan and Maureen!

I really missed the bunnies...AND the forum.

I kind of wish I had taken Chippy with me. I think I would have enjoyed her company.
Nobody would have even known she was there....I was in a more remote area of the resort.
The unit I was inwas scheduled for renovation, so Chippy could have messed up anything she wanted to and they wouldn't have really noticed.
There was plenty of space for me to have set up a nice area for her to be in.
However, this is all an "ice flow under the bridge".

The last night I was there we had a power outage...no lights, no heat, no hot water....Chippy wouldn't have minded, except that I probably would have been hugging her for warmth! :biggrin2:

It was bitterly cold while I was there....the night of the outage, the wind chill got to -21F.
I had every blanket (and the bedspread) on me while I waited for the power to come back on.
Unfortunately, I had one of the units without a fireplace :(. I stayed nice and cozy under all of my blankies, though!!

I'm glad I left early to come home, as there was a snow storm the morning I was supposed to have left (this morning). We got several inches of the white fluffy stuff....nice to look at from inside, but not so nice to be driving in.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Wow they left you in the resort with heat? :shock:
***without heat***;)

Yep.
The whole area was without power. The telephones were out, too. There was no cellphone signal in the unit, so I couldn't even call for an emergency unless I went out and stood on top of the dumpster in the howling wind....brrrrrrr+++

Powerwent out around 8pm...it came on around midnight for about 30 minutes (enoughtime for me to wash up and make a mug of hot chocolate)...and then it was out for another few hours. Eventually it came back on around 2am.

I had a battery operated lantern and one of those "crank-for-power" flashlights, but the laptop and portable DVD player were both out of battery power. I just hunkered down under my blankets until dawn.

JimD wrote:
Pet_Bunny wrote:
Wow they left you in the resort with heat? :shock:
***without heat***;)

Yep.
The whole area was without power. The telephones were out, too. There was no cellphone signal in the unit, so I couldn't even call for an emergency unless I went out and stood on top of the dumpster in the howling wind....brrrrrrr+++

Powerwent out around 8pm...it came on around midnight for about 30 minutes (enoughtime for me to wash up and make a mug of hot chocolate)...and then it was out for another few hours. Eventually it came back on around 2am.

I had a battery operated lantern and one of those "crank-for-power" flashlights, but the laptop and portable DVD player were both out of battery power. I just hunkered down under my blankets until dawn.
Sounds more like you went camping! You should have brought Chippy with you so she can keep YOU warm! :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back