RIP Abby (maybe)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I REALLY NEED TO KNOW THE LOCATION OF WHERE ABBY WAS LET GO!
EVEN IF ITS THE NAME OF THE COMPLEX!

MY FRIEND IS TRYING TO DO WHAT SHE CAN BUT THE SEARCH IS DIFFICULT WHEN THEY HAVE IT NARROWED DOWN TO AN ENTIRE CITY!

I dont mean to sound like a pain in the butt--but its for Abby's sake..if maybe you could talk to you brother instead of your sister in law??

This seems to happen a LOT when really young children get bunnies for pets without parents directly involved in pet care.. the bunnies resort to biting out of self defense. Max was exactly like this because he had had a 5yr old owner before I got him. And all they taught him was in order to not get squeezed tight and man-handled and be respected, he had to bite hard. So any time anyone picked him up, he would bite hard. Which is why his ad said "free bunny to good home, cage and everything else included."

Frankly, I would bite hard too if my owner man-handled me and squeezed me all the time!

They can be trained out of it, but only with someone who is extremely patient and understands bunnies. The bun has learned it cannot feel safe or trust people, and it takes time to re-learn they can be safe and trust people without needing to defend themselves.

I hate it when people do this :(

Yepp, I agree with you Rasberry--and I am sure that everyone else does too..

We need everyone to focus on getting Abby to a safe home--in order to do so--we need for her to be found..

Any Atlanta members out there that can PM me??Im looking for someone willing to help..

I am in the Atlanta suburbs too.. I know there is a big rabbit community in Marietta (or at least that is where the HRS's little store and house set up is). Have they been informed?

I am in Kennesaw, did this happen anywhere around me?

The only other thing I can think of to do, is to contact the Atlanta area pet shelters, animal control and rescues, and inform them of what the bunny looks like in case it is found. Or even go to the point of giving them a flyer with the buns pic. And also print up lost flyers with the buns picture and post in the ballpark area where they let it go. As well as repeatedly post lost ads on craigslist pet section weekly. Rewards really help as well, motivates people who would otherwise not care. Giving people a picture of the bunny is really important, since so many buns sound alike in descriptions.

Looking for the bun is pretty difficult in a big city like Atlanta. And I hate to say it but in situations like this it is most likely they end up being prey. But worth trying!

WAIITTTTTTT...GOOD NEWS!!!!

I have just been informed that the 'set free' thing was all a LIE..

Not on Dainerra's part, but on the sister in laws part...

It seems as though they old the little girl that the bunny was let go so she wouldnt be upset--but the truth is that she was given to the the husbands friend from work..
we have been sent through the roof with this story...

Lets mark this as done and over with!

Abby is safe(we are hoping) and our 'crossing the fingers' worked out.

if this is true that is horrible too. It would have been nicer to tell her they gave it to someone who had the time for it then to tell her they let it go, ugh. I hope it is true and that you can verify it

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
if this is true that is horrible too. It would have been nicer to tell her they gave it to someone who had the time for it then to tell her they let it go, ugh. I hope it is true and that you can verify it
Ditto. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

ok, to clear things up.. It's my husband's sister, so there is no one else to check with.

I finally got in touch with her and she told me that they had been talking about getting rid of Abby and my niece got very upset about them giving away her bunny. So they decided to tell her that they let her loose so that she could have lots of baby bunnies and be happy outside biting strange people that wandered near her hiding place.
They gave it to someone her husband works with who wanted a pet for his kids. They decided on a bunny because 1) it was free and 2) "not any work"

So, no matter which story is true, I wouldn't be surprised if Abby ends up on Craig's List sooner or later. All of the people involved work in the Ad business so work 10+ hours every day. Most of them don't want to be bothered with taking care of an animal.

I've been forbidden to talk to her by my hubby, in the name of "my family already hates you, just leave her alone" Mostly because she is pushing to get a GSD puppy and wants my advice. So now she is asking hubby and he and the rest of the family are trying to talk her out of it.

HELLO!! You can't handle a 6lb rabbit and you want a dog that needs HOURS of physical and mental activity a day, has to be worked with to not herd your kids or the neighbors, and might get to 100lbs???? not to mention, a bite from a 20lb puppy is a lot more painful than a nip from a rabbit and usually draws blood.

I hit post too soon..

I wanted to thank everyone who stepped up to try to help Abby. I wish I had been able to convince her to go that route in the first place (rescue).

I hate dealing with this. I told my husband that I wish that there was something I could have done, but even if I was there, my advice would have been ignored (obviously). It's just so frustrating to think that someone could view them as so disposable.
Her heart starts off in the right place... She grew up with a mini-rex named Tux. But Tux was an outside bunny in a hutch, so other than making sure the food bowl and water bottle were full, there was ZERO maintenance for a kid. She would take the bun out to play now and again and that was it.
She also grew up with a GSD. Again, though, she was a little kid so has no idea of the amount of work that went into training. She was an outside dog, but was still trained as to where her potty spot was, not to leave the yard, etc. Plus, they lived in the country, so the kids were outside riding bikes, etc for hours every day.
Her problem is that she is not grasping the vast differences in her childhood circumstances and the fact that they live in an apt in a big city. She tells me that my baby Rayden is so calm living indoors. Of course he is! He gets lots of exercise and mental activity every day. Plus, he's over 6 years old now. If she has seen him as a pup, OMG!
Shoot, a couple weeks ago, he and Freya decided to play chase at 5am. Nothing like being woken up by a 70lb dog landing on your chest as they run circles around the bedroom! I'm surprised there aren't holes in the wall....
*sigh* but thanks everyone for letting me rant and for ensuring me that I'm not insane for caring so much.

I told her that there were people willing to fly to Atlanta RIGHT now to pick up Abby and fix the stupid mistakes that she had made.

OH, I almost forgot. Since someone posted on Abby's biting, this is what I was told. She bit everyone, not just the kids. She would be happy and playing, etc and then you would see signs that she was getting tired (she WAS a baby after all) and then she would nip. Poof, back into her cage and she was happy. Eventually, they started smacking her on the nose and THEN putting her into her cage and the bites got harder. Begin the endless cycle of stupidity here....

I am happy to see that u at least have closure on this even though this situation was odd from the start. Why would the parents take this "lie" and extend it to u, why not tell u the truth at least...weird.

I personally wud b comfortable in the position of no one liking me in the family if that means u care so much for the well being of animals...vs ppl liking me and not care lol I hope that makes sense lol

I hope in the end Abby is placed in a good home that will love her unconditionally, sorry to say but it will probably b 4 the best anyway.

Latest posts

Back