RIP Abby (maybe)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainerra

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone remembers (I don't post here much) my sis-in-law was having problems with their bunny biting everyone in the family.

1) they bought a lion-head bunny as a birthday gift for a 4year old girl
2) they have no time or inclination to work through any problem
3) they are idiots

Abby developed the habit of biting people. From their description to me asking for advice, she would be happy playing for a while, but when she wanted down, she would bite if they didn't let go of her. They started smacking her on the nose and putting her in her cage. I told that wouldn't work because 1) she had no idea why she was getting whacked on the nose and 2) back in her cage is what she wanted, so basically they were teaching her that biting was how to get it.
Instead of working with her, they let their 9year old son "train" her not to bite. This consisted of the kids randomly spraying her with water as they walked past her cage while saying "Abby don't bite me"

Yesterday, my SIL posted on facebook that they had turned Abby loose in the wild, where she can happily bite anything she wants to. They live in the suburbs of Atlanta GA in an apartment complex!! :X Poor Abby. You deserved so much better than this!!

I wouldn't count her as RIP, they can survive awhile out there, no problem getting food, she just has to avoid predators. (She's probably not having a good time, poor girl, but wouldn't be in a cage being sprayed by water, either!)

You don't know for sure she hasn't been picked up by someone who will keep her or take her to the SPCA or whatever. Keep checking petfinder.com or the local shelters. If she was spotted, a local rabbit rescue may try and find her. (Maybe an email from you might hurry that along).

sas :pray:

I completely agree with elrohwen..I could never speak to that family member again..
I just hope that someone quickly found her or some miarcle like that happened and she is safe with a responsible family that will love her.

well, they live 14 hours away from us. otherwise, I would have taken her. They live right off a major highway in a HUGE apartment complex with only a few small grassy patches.

Plus they have complained in the past about neighbors just letting their dogs run loose in the complex instead of leashing them to potty.

well, can you ask your sister in law if she has a picture of Abby that maybe you can post here--there is hope that someone may have found her or she is in a shelter and safe..if you post a picture here, we can all keep an eye out for her on petfinder..

Lets all HOPE and PRAY that little Abby is safe and sound somewhere.

no, no pictures of Abby. there were one or two taken when they got her, but you can't see her as my niece is holding onto her and she is pretty much invisible.

she is a lion head bunny though, so if someone found her and posted her, it would be pretty obvious.

People can be intolerably cruel and stupid. It sounds like Abby's owners didnt do a single thing right. Also, it sounds like they have no idea how to do a google search, because there is lots of good information online on rabbits and their care.

This is why i'm so grateful to RO. It gives people a place to ask questions, but more importantly I really feel like in a small way it protects bunnies. I think people should have to have some kind of license deeming them worthy to have pets. Those people certainly would not pass.

p.s: I dont mean to offend you, just your animal incompetent in-laws. Cause to be honest they really do sound completely incompetent with animals. And compassion...

how about color?

I have a friend in Atlanta that is a bunny freak and would help find her to make sure she is okay..

I'd instill some fear into her and let her know in New Jersey, a guy was arrested for letting his domestic rabbit loose in the woods b/c the kids became bored with it. He was fined $2000. Luckily they found the rabbit in the woods 3 weeks later alive but severely dehydrated and infested with ticks.

sadly, she is very hard to get in touch with (70+ hours of work a week) Plus, I have a feeling that she is going to be avoiding me.

I gave her the link to this group, gave her info about rescues, even encouraged her to list Abby on Craig's List. She even previously asked me if there were any other animals that would eat rabbit pellets because she was thinking about getting a guinea pig as a replacement. She hasn't talked to me about Abby since the day she asked that; apparently my response wasn't what she wanted to hear....

Oh no that's so sad. Could you maybe try to find a rabbit rescue around where they live and inform them of what happened and what area she was released in? Maybe they would have some volunteers willing to go out and look for her before it's too late (if it's not already).

if we were closer, I would have taken her.
but I can't drive to GA just to get a bunny. I gave her all the resources to rehome her, even if she wouldn't work with her. sadly, she apparently took the easy way out

The rabbit rescues in her area have been informed..
I am working with a friend from there via email at this point and they have their eyes open for Abby.

Aww, Poor bunny :tears2: How could they? :(

I will keep my fingers crossed that this turns out in favor of the bunny.

Latest posts

Back