Ringer Surprised me!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringer

Reaction score
Ringer had been acting sick and strange and I was worried over her. When I noticed smudges of blood on the floor, I really got worried. She lives in my bathroom and has a cat cube in the shower and I was cleaning around it too and found big clups of fur all over. I started thinking maybe she had babies and they died, so I checked her cube where there was a folded sheet inside for her to lay on. Lo and behold I felt a baby, but it was squirmy and warm! I looked further and found two more! She had babies without me ever knowing! I had been in the hospital and hubby was "watching" the bunnies and somehow let them get together!

One of the babies had slipped away from the other two and was cool to the touch. I put him near my chest and warmed him up and then put him right with the others. Mother has been feeding them and they are plump and full.

If you all remember, last Christmas she had a clutch, but ignored them. Thank heavens she is very attentive now.

I tried to add more sweatshirt material to the cube because she doesn't make nests. Also covered the babies with the fur I had found. Just after I left she jumped in and kicked the material out and also pawed off all the fur. She even threw out the fluffy cotton that I had added in the corner to keep them warm. But later she thought better of the whole thing and put the fluffy cotton back in and covered the babies with it. LOL

It had to be her way! I was just worried they would get cold. I know that is very bad with newborns.

So now they are fine. I put a folded towel under the cube so they wouldn't be directly on the cold tile. Seem to be eating as they are quite warm, covered and content. Anything else I should do or is it best just to keep my nose out of the whole thing?

I've decided not to handle them much until they are furred. They must be about four days old as their ears are getting furrier and there is a fine fur growing on their bodies.

Did I say how absolutely adorable they are? I am in love. One is all black, one light gray and the other is tan with darker spots and patches of either gray or brown. awwwwwww

I have named them Barnaby, Uncle Wiggily and Blackjack.

My mother just died a month ago and I just got out of the hospital after having carotid surgery. This was kind of a miracle, the sweet little babies of new life.

well, it's probably best to get her spayed so there are no more suprises........ but since it's already beyond that part.......

YAY! BABIES! do you have pictures? :D

I'm so glad you found them! Yay! I really hope they make it, and now that you know they are there you have the "uphill battle" on your hands.. Keep posting each day so that we know what your dealing wth and others can help you..

A spay is definetly in order! Or it will happen again in short time (and honestly, unlesss your a breeder - its not necessary and risky for the bun)...

Good for you and will keep checking how you and Ringer are doing.. Congratulations!

Congrats. I am going to move this to the rabbitry so that if any questions pop up it is in the right spot.:biggrin2:

OMG what a thing to come back too!
At least her and the babies are alright so far lets hope it stays that way!
Keep us updated

xxx:biggrin2:xxx:biggrin2:xxx

I checked the babies again this morning. They are even better than yesterday.:)

They seem to be getting bigger fast. They are really warm and very chubby!:biggrin2:

It's so good to see as her last clutch was so horrifying. Two were born dead and three were fine, but she wouldn't take care of them. They died despite my best efforts to feed them. They must have had the scent of the stillborn babies or something. She acted as if she didn't know where they came from.

She is very protective towards these new babies and I am so happy they are doing well. It's heartbreaking to see mom ignore them. She is a wonderful mother with these babies.

I will take pictures later and try to post tonight or early tomorrow.

This is definitely the time to have daddy neutered. Will he still retain his personality or will he change? He plays ball all over the porch and it's a delight. I was trying just to keep them separate but it's hard with other people around who make mistakes.

Congratulations on a healthy litter!

Neutering the boy won't affect his playfulness or sweet personality. He may appear a little calmer. It is cheaper and quicker to neuter a boy than to spay a girl. But it would be wise to spay the girl in the future too (if you can). It does prevent uterine cancer, one of the more prevalent cancers as a bunny ages.

YAY Babies!!!!

Congrats to both human and bunny mommas!

On the spaying and neutering I agree with Blue Giants for sure, it's a great idea to get "dad" neutered soon, but also consider spaying momma too!

Good Luck with the wittle babies, and I can't wait to see pictures!!!

Awww theyare just precious

Cheryl

They are reallybeautiful! So happy you had such a sweet miracle after your loss. (My sympathy on losing your mom.)

Keep in mind that now that she has delivered the babies, she'll be fertile and ready to "breed back" right away. Keep the boy away from her from now on.

And when you do get him neutered, he can still impregnate her for up tp 8 weeks after the surgery. (That's how long it takes for the little buggers to stop working!)

Everything is still going well with the babies. They are doing well. Cute as the dickens.

Major prob now is while I was petting Ringie tonight I noticed a crusty substance in her ear (only one.) It's ear mites I am sure. She lives inside and only goes out for an hour a day and only on the screened porch. I don't know where she got them. I went online and saw that one treatment would be to use baby oil with an eyedropper. 2 to 3 drops. I tried this and although she fussed at first, she has settled down. The article advised not to disturb the crusty substance and repeat the baby oil treatment for 10 days, every other day.

Will this be enough or should I take her to the vet on Monday? I am very very upset that she may pass the mites on to the babies.

She also needs her nails trimmed, I just noticed. She hates it when I trim them and she gets stressed. Should I wait a few more days until the babies get a bit older? They are now almost one week. I think they are just about to open their eyes as I think I can see little slits.

I am worried about disturbing Ringie too much as she gets stressed and may ignore the babies if she does. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

I really do take very good care of Ringer. The nails just grow very fast it seems. I am diligent about giving her the best food and keeping litter box and surroundings clean.

Oh the babies!! They are gorgeous! Sorry I don't have any advice on the ear mites, I'll keep her in my prayers and will pray that the little ones won't get them if she does have mites. They sure do look well fed and big! Please keep us updated with pictures of how they are doing. Congrats!

Back