Riley and Pancake

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple days ago Riley fought with me (not really fight, just posturing) about who my bed belongs to. I won of course. Since then he's been kind of bullying Pancake. Not violent bullying, just little things like pushing her away from food. After hours of laying on the floor loving up both of them, things seem a little better. Even stranger! Earlier today I gave them both treats. Riley didn't want his so I put it away and gave it to him just a few minutes ago. Pancake took it from him! Riley even chased her a little bit but she didn't give it up. I'm not sure this is a bad sign or a good sign or what.

Still though, I hope Riley becomes more sensitive. Pancake gives Riley plenty of tongue baths but Riley doesn't seem to like to lick anyone. :(

Carrot Nom!

3651648645_d12e92c5e7_o.jpg

I wouldn't worry except Pancake is very timid. To be honest, I've been thinking that Pancake might be happier without Riley around. It's a sad thought but if she's still scared of him in another month or two I'm going to be seriously thinking of trying to find him another home.

In the meantime, the only thing I know to do is give them plenty of cuddles. Maybe Pancake will learn to assert herself more.

Poor Pancake. Has Riley just recently started acting like this? Wanting to attack you?

Maybe Riley is just not feeling well. He's just being grumpy.

Love the pic's of Pancake :)

April

Well, kind of yes and kind of no. When I first met him he was very horny. Biting was part of his sex routine. He's over that now. This time wouldn't have even been a conflict but I wanted to see how he'd react if I left him out of the cage at night. He wanted to dig and bite at my bed, which I don't like. I wanted to see what would happen if instead of simply caging him I push his head to the side. After, I dunno, 20 times, he starting posturing like he was willing to fight me for territory or whatever. I held him down a bit to get him to calm down and put him in his cage.

From then until recently he's been a bit of a bully, but nothing violent.

So in a sense, he's always been like this, cause he's a dominant sort of guy. But he's certainly not violent unless you really push him. I can do things like hold him upside-down (for grooming) and he doesn't bite. It's mostly over territory I think.

It's a good point that he could just be feeling grumpy. His hair is still growing back and he might still itch from what's left of the ringworm. I'm glad you liked Pancake's pics. :biggrin2:

They're old though, I need to take some more recent ones. Her hair looks kinda bad from the ringworm. I shoulda took a pic of Riley's tail when it lost its hair - it was just a little stubby looking thing.

Pancake's hair seems to be all growing back. She has new hair all over her sides and back, and I've been plucking away at the old, loose stuff.

Unfortunately Riley has only spotty hair growth on his back. Two days ago I removed a lot of his loose fur and later found two red spots on his skin, so even after a month of anti-fungal meds I think he still has the infection. Also, I weighed him today and he's down to 7.5 lbs. I suspected he'd been loosing weight so for the last couple weeks I've been giving him almost unlimited pellets. I'm worried about him and want to take him back to the vet soon.

On the other hand, maybe he was just fat when I got him. :)

They were on Griseofulvin. Pancake had 43 mL per day and Riley had 55 mL per day. The concentration was 150 mg/mL. Also, for a while I was giving them double dosage because I didn't read the label closely enough.

I got sick of paying too much for hay (Kaytee brand), so I bought a bale of timothy hay. They like it a lot better!

they are gorgeous and lovely and big. Hope they get better from their worms soon. You may need to take some med in case as we can catch ring worms cant we. Dont want to give it back to them bless them xx Sorry that wasnt meant to sound rude.
Riley pics are beautiful i like the standing up ones best xx

Poor Riley. :pray:

Hope he's not gettingthem back. Sounds like he may need to be re-checked. :(Aren't vet bills great?? NOT!! :X I took my Little Rascal today and it cost me $ 146.00 . He ate his flooring(vinyl).

Keep us updated. :)...April

About a month ago I took Pancake and Riley in for a follow-up check. The vet took some sample hair from around the bare spots. I got a call later that week and was told that they tested negative for ringworm. Hooray!

Fast forward a few weeks... I haven't been grooming them since I figured they lost so much hair, why bother. Tonight I decided to look at them. Pancake's coat looked so nice! Then I noticed that they both have loose fur on their rear ends again. I can pluck it easily with two fingers; it takes practically no effort.

I almost feel like skipping the treatment and letting them loose all their hair. Maybe then it would clear up? Frankly I have no idea. I just know that I don't want to go through it again.

Even worse, Riley has an open sore where I plucked some of the fur away. I really hope I didn't do it! It's like his top layer of skin simply has a hole in it, about 1 cm diameter. It only has a little blood around it. I cut the hair away from it and cleaned it with iodine.

I found a similar situation here: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/Open-sore-wound.htm.

And their fur was just getting back to normal. :cry1:

(Sorry no pics, my friend was annoyed that I kept borrowing his camera even though I bought my own batteries.)

Hmm... Sorry, not sure I know about that. Could the delicate skin that was revealed by the plucking have rubbed against something and come off? I've plucked Muffin too much and her skin is very delicate there when I do that.

Hi Tony's Human!

It's that or a cut from me trying to use my shedding comb. I thought I had the teeth parallel to the skin but perhaps I caught some skin and cut him. I got a look at it when he was sitting and it looked more like a cut with his skin less taut. I'll keep it clean and keep an eye on it.

I'm sorry your still having trouble. I hope you can figure out whats going on. I hope they get better soon, so we can get some more pic's. :)

My sweet babies! They are sooooooooooooooooooo cute and sooooooo sweet. I love them so much.

Riley:
3820930536_a4f68160a2_o.jpg

Pancake:

3820125525_3afe747b77_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back