Right on the heels of recovery - Rest in Peace Peanut

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone :hug:

On another (non bunny) forum, a member with experience in hospice care said that patients will frequently experience several good days right before the end. I think that's what Peanut's recovery signified.

Her condition is fairly rapidly declining. She is weak and she is tired. Her appetite is there, but it's waning. And the hardest part is knowing that a natural death would be prolonged and painful. She does not have the option of simply letting go before it gets bad. That weight lies soley upon myself as her human - the hardest decision a pet mommy or daddy will ever have to make.

It will likely be tomorrow or Friday, depending on her condition. When I spoke with the vet today she said that we could bring her the moment we felt it was time. I told the vet that I felt completely at peace with this path, and I do. It hurts a lot but all doubts have gone. And that peace has enabled me to think ahead, to make arrangements, and to spend as much meaningful time with her as I can.

OMG Emily! I read your post earlier today but didn't have time to say anything. But I was thinking you still had longer. I had no idea it would be this soon.

I know you are doing what is best for her. I hope you can still have some happy moments with her and that she'll pass peacefully and with no pain.

:sad:

:hug:

I missed the update somehow.

Emily, I am so sorry. I thought we had a miracle too:(. My thoughts are with you and Peanut in this very difficult time.

Hang in there Peanut:pray:.

Oh no. I was afraid of her "rallying" - My cat did that and then a friend's bunny did as well - he got better for 2 days and then he got really ill.

I'm so sorry. I wish we could do more for her.

I woke up twice early this morning to Peanut rolling around wildly. I think maybe her inner ear is causing some vertigo. It took me several minutes to calm her down each time.

I'm hoping and praying that she makes it through today; I'm gone during the day at school, and my younger brother is gone tonight. Tomorrow we'll all be home together.

I've decided not to bring Rex to the vet's with us. As much as I hate to seperate them at the end, he gets very, very stressed by car rides and having him there when Peanut is put to sleep could be harder on him than it needs to be. We will be bringing her body back with us and allow him to have time with her. I've asked my brother and dad to build a small box and I'm still trying to decide what we should include in it.

OH no! I'm so so sorry. That poor baby girl! I am just sick over this, honestly.

I know what you are doing is the right thing to do.... it's just so hard. How old is peanut btw?

Poor Rex.... he loves her so much too.......

I wish I could help you.... I'd hold her until you could.

In her little box, put a blankie if she has one or wrap her in something soft. Put a bit of rex's fur, and I know your tears will fall in as well. :sad:

I have not posted yet because this one devastates me more than I can ever say. Em you and I have talked so much about our special little ones. I have always kept her in my heart and thoughts because like my Ringo she is a fighter. I can not fathom how much this hurts.

I am here to talk anyway you need. Give her a kiss from me and Ringo and let her know we love her.

We'll be bringing Peanut in tomorrow. It seems so sudden: Tuesday we found out she was ill and Friday she'll be gone. Yet not once have I doubted that this is the right decision. I am a person of deep faith, and I believe that the overwhelming peace and assurance I have felt can only be from God:hearts

My family has been AMAZING. Dad and Stephen built a little wooden box today, Hannah decorated it, and Mom is just being all-around supportive. I told Mom today, "It's sad, but it's not devastating."

The spirit of the bunny that I have loved for so many years is now bound by a tired and broken body. It's time to set Peanut free :bunnyangel:

Emily...you and your family, especially Rex and Peanut, are in our prayers:pray: I'm so sorry that this is such a horrible time for you. God will be with you and will hold you up when you can't stand alone....He's always there. :bigtears:

I really think that you've made the right decision. even though it will be painful...and I know that you are not doubting yourself either. It is time!
So sorry for you but lil Peanut will be binkying away at the bridge.

This has happened way too fast.....I can't imagine what you are going through right now. All you can do is give Peanut lots of loving tonight............Sparky and Scooter asked me to donate some of their loving to Peanut. I'm so sorry Emily.

It's hitting me a little harder now, that this is really Peanut's last night with us :sad:

I fed Rex a few minutes ago, and he didn't come over to eat right away, instead staying by Peanut and washing her face. I do believe that he knows how frail she is. I just wonder how he'll feel tomorrow :in tears:

Thanks Phinnsmommy :hug: (and everyone else who has added their support - your words have been an incredible blessing to me)

Peanut today:

[align=center]
1450238256_de7dfa411a.jpg

[/align]

I'm so sorry for what is happening cause I know hard this time must be for you.

Peg

Latest posts

Back