Right on the heels of recovery - Rest in Peace Peanut

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
I think Peanut's teeth are bothering her :? I mentioned it to the vet, but there's really no way to get her seen before tomorrow (and since Rex needs to go with her in the crate, it does make sense to bring them in for check-ups at the same time)

I notice that for the past couple days she's been less enthusiastic at meal times. She'll eat, but it takes her awhile. Much longer to chew than usual. She's still drinking plenty of water and definitely wants to eat. This morning she wolfed down a tablespoon of pumpkin as fast as she could.

With that in mind, don't feel it's a lack of appetite or nausea related to her balance issues (to be safe, I did give her a Meclizine tablet) She's running around and stretching/flopping out to sleep, so I don't think that it's a stomach upset or gas. She's still very friendly and not exhibiting any signs of pain or stasis (we've been through that before - she was miserable and resisted food mightily)

I've seen her munching at the hay, but last night and this morning I noted that she'll have a piece of hay hanging out of her mouth that she appears to be chewing on, but when I pulled the piece out this morning it was more covered in spit than anything else.

This morning I also saw her making chewing motions (not tooth grinding, but actually *chewing*) and I don't think she had anything in her mouth to chew on :dunno As I see it, all signs point to a tooth problem.

Poops are ever-so-slightly smaller than normal, which is why I gave her the pumpkin. Her enthusiasm for eating is encouraging, though I do hate to see her feeling less than stellar. I'll keep up with the pumpkin - should she also get some Critical Care?

Good vibes and prayers are always appreciated :pink iris:

Poor Peanut, just when we thought all was well..

From what you described, it does sound like a tooth problem to me. Have you tried feeling around her jawline to be sure theyre no bumps? Could just be minor molar spurs (which would explain why she would eat pumpkin but not something hard).

I wonder if it could be related to the tilt in that shes chewing differently with her head upright or something along those lines?

I think I would try soaking her pellets in some water (and mixing in some pumpkin for flavor) and see if she will eat that off the spoon or out of the bowl.

I hope its something simple like a spur. :pray:

Haley wrote:
I wonder if it could be related to the tilt in that shes chewing differently with her head upright or something along those lines?

I had thought the same thing, actually :ponder:

I'll try mushing up some pellets to see if she'll eat more before I leave for class.

m.e. wrote:
Haley wrote:

I had thought the same thing, actually :ponder:

I'll try mushing up some pellets to see if she'll eat more before I leave for class.
I thought that too - like her jaw might not be aligned as it used to be?

I would mush up the pellets as if she were a baby (warm water, let them soak in a small amount until they get fluffy and loose) Those are very easy to eat and still give the benefit of hay.

Come on Peanut - I love ya baby girl!

Poor baby :( I mushed up some pellets with a little pumpkin, and she ate nonstop for about 5 minutes. She must have been pretty hungry. While she was eating her teeth were making noise. You know the sounds that kids make when they grind their teeth in their sleep? That's what it sounded like.

Then once she was finished she washed her face and fell fast asleep.

well that sounds like itsolves it then ;)I would keep wetting the food until you can get her in to have those teeth checked. Glad she got lots of food down!

Is she doing ok other than that??

Awwwwwwwww poor girl! I'm glad you gave her the mooshied stuff! Sounds like it tasted pretty good to her!

Yes, she's doing fine otherwise. Has some poop stuck to her butt - that's been a problem for the five years that I've known her:rollseyes So nothing out the the ordinary...

m.e. wrote:
Yes, she's doing fine otherwise. Has some poop stuck to her butt - that's been a problem for the five years that I've known her:rollseyes So nothing out the the ordinary...

Bo's does that. He will clean one day and the next it's poo-poo butt!

Messy bunnies:foreheadsmack:

And have I mentioned lately how stubborn Peanut is? She does. not. quit.

I've been feeding her in small installments and came in to give her some more of the mushed up stuff. There she was, sitting at the dish, eating pellets. However slowly it took, she was going to eat them. She's just amazing :kiss:

I didn't have the strength to update here last night, because this isn't the kind of update I wanted to give:

Peanut's molar roots are growing downward into her jaw. Normally the vet would recommend surgery so that they could file her molars down to the gumline. But we also discovered that Peanut has a cardiac arrhythmia, either from age or infection, and more than likely would not be able to handle anesthesia. On top of that, her x-rays show that her left inner ear is enlarged to almost twice the normal size. Ear swab and cytology didn't reveal any bactera, though it's possible there is an infection deep in the inner ear.

She was very weak at the vets last night; they gave her some subcutaneous fluids and recommended that I start feeding her Critical Care. Other than that, there is nothing this vets office can do for her :sigh:

The vet referred us to Angell Memorial in Boston for a myriad of tests and procedures that may ultimately yield nothing. She'd be far away from home, away from her family, away from Rex, surrounded by strange people and undergoing multiple procedures. I can't do that to her. I just can't.

:in tears:

But that really only leaves one option...

Love her until she says 'no more'.

I'll be calling the vet back today to see what kind of palliative care she recommends and how long we can expect before Peanut's teeth become a serious issue (she's still eating ravenously, just mushy foods) I've already spoken with my family and they, knowing and loving Peanut, feel that this is the right decision.

That doesn't make it any easier :cry1:

Oh Emily Im so sorry to hear this.I know howcrushing this has to be for you after how hopeful you were about her recovery.

I think you're making the right decision in this. And you never know, miracles do happen.

You and Peanut are in my thoughts and prayers. We're here for you.

Haley

:bigtears::grouphug

I was hoping we had a miracle. Hugs to you, Peanut and Rex.

I'm so sorry to hear this, m.e....:(

Peanut is certainly in the best care she could possibly have with you, and she is so loved...my thoughts and prayers are with both her and you. :pray:

Emily, I also wanted to mention (in case its any comfort) that Eve's Layla has something similar going on with the teeth (well, its abscesses and infections in her jaw/tooth roots that are inoperable). She was diagnosed a few months ago and is still doing very well, despite the fact that she cant have surgery.

As fragile as our little ones are, they are also a lot stronger than we think sometimes. I'll be praying Peanut (and you) will stay strong.

*hugs*

Haley

This is a very very hard spot to be in....and it is heartbreaking. Every day you may question yourself and wonder about your decision.

But I can tell you this - she WILL let you know when it is time for her to go...and I honestly believe she may try to hold on until you can accept that it is time for her to go.

We went through this type of situation (different medical condition) with GingerSpice - and I know she wanted to leave me a few days before she did - but I believe she held on until I could accept it and let her pass.

One thing to remember about this is you do have time to say goodbye...to prepare yourself for her passing. It will be heartbreaking and hard but at least you should hopefully have the chance to say goodbye.

I will be praying for you, your family, and Peanut during this time....because I can understand your pain.

Peg

m.e. wrote:
But that really only leaves one option...

Love her until she says 'no more'.

awww m.e., I hate to hear she has more problems. That sweet girl has been through a lot and I wouldn't put her through more tests, pain, and things that might scare her more than it's worth - especially with her heart issues.

Feed her how you can, love her all you can, and let her be with her Rex - Do what you can for her ear, but don't do it at the cost of her being mostly happy.

Give her a big kiss on that sweet nose for me! I love her and always will - always have as you know. I'm hoping and praying for her.

Back