Rex fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess_sully

Reaction score
I've read very controversial things about rex fur. Some people say that it sheds less, others say that it sheds more. Some people say they are the best breed for those with allergies, and others say they are the worst because their hair is so fine and short that it floats around in the air.
My stepmother is looking into getting a bunny, but she needs the "least" allergenic one she can find.
I've never owned a mini or standard rex, so I wasn't very much help to her on this subject! :)

I heard they shed less and are good for people for allergies. But thats just what I heard so I don't know if it's right. Did you try looking in the RO libary???

I don't think that's really true. I think all bunnies shed similarly and all can cause allergies...

Bo is a mini-rex and sheds A LOT.

Hiya Jess!

Ive had a few minirexes here and they really blow their coats when the weather changes.

I have a lionhead, dwarf, german lop, and 3 dutches right now and the dutches probably shed the least out of all of them. But I think so much of it depends on the bunny.

Hmmm.
I do love dutch... your boys are so lovely!
There's a breeder about three hours from here that I've been in contact with for ages, helping place "mismarked" babies in foster/pet homes for her... she gives them away for free.
In my eyes, that's a form of rescue. Unfortunately, there are some wonderful, responsible breeders out there who genuinely care about the advancement of certain breeds, and no matter what you do, they aren't going to stop breeding. So why not rescue a little one from them every once in awhile?
I'm sure there are others who would disagree with me.
Now, back on topic, Michelle (stepmom) has really nice air filtration units in every room. I wonder if that would help "catch" some of the flying hair. She is kind of set on a mini rex.

Hi! I raised Rex for years and LOVED the fur, didn't have much of a problem with shedding. The coat is unique in that the guard hairs are as long as the top coat, so even with brushing there's not much to shed out on a well-bred Rex.

Have you heard of a breed called "Astrex"? I believe it is the only hypoallergenic rabbit breed. It is a curly haired rabbit andthe breedis comes from a recessive gene found in the Rex. The fur is similar to a Bashkir Curly horse, or like a poodle, in the way that it is curly and hypoallergenic. The Astrexare very rare and the breed is still being developed. From what I understand it is very hard to breed for thecurly hairgene.

Here'ssome moreinfo on theAstrex: http://www.rabbitgeek.com/astrex.html

Crystal

lol! I'm allergic to a million types of grass (including timothy hay, which makes bunny-hay-serving quite interesting), dust, mold, mildew, cats, dogs, bee stings, hamsters, cypress, oak, cedar.... milk, glucose, lactose, red die #4,5,6, or 7... penicillin.... lots more
yeah...
allergies, funnn.
but I am NOT allergic to rabbits, by some miracle of god! :D
But at least I'm not allergic to raspberries. Now THAT must be tough :p

Oh yeah, I'm allergic to molds and dust (I clean 2 houses as a part-time job lol), too.

Yes, considering I love raspberry stuff...... and really don't like strawberries (which also seem to cause me to have hives) .... it's hard.

I used to have a reaction to yeast, but I desensitized from that.....

Neither Millie (nor Ruby) have ever badly blown their coats. To be honest apart from the odd few hairs that come lose when I stroke Millie I don't even know whenshe's shedding!

I think it depends on the individual rex, the temperatures they live in and their diet as to how much they shed. :)

I have several Rexies and only one of them sheds really badly. Also out of all my breeds here, (and I have several Angora's too) the worst shedder is one of my Dwaf rabbits - he sheds enough for five or six rabbits! So while breed has something to do with it, it also has a lot to do with the rabbit IMO. My guys constantly go surprising me.

Hmmm.
Thanks for all the input.
Bunnies_rule63- interesting. I think flying fur would be much easier with outdoor buns, after all, it could be swept away in the wind :)
Trailsend- strange that so much fur could come from such a little bunny!

I'm starting to think perhaps she should just go with the one she falls in love with, regardless of the breed. However, I just don't know how well she'd be able to handle flying rex fur.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between flyback and rollback fur with shedding/molting? My Walter had a sort of in-between fur (he was a mix), and he hardly shedded at all, and when he did, it mostly stuck to his blankets.

THe best way to stop a rex fur flying session is to moisten your hands and rub them down. If she or someone else did this regularly during a molt - they should be fine.

I think Rex are better for people with allergies from my experiance, but I don't know if there is any science behind it. I have had a few people with allergies come to "test" my Rex and only one still had a reaction, the rest were perfectly fine with the Rex, but get the Lionheads out and they start sneezing and their eyes water etc. I am also slightly allergic to normal furred rabbits, my allergies get better the more I am around the animal, but my Lionhead still sets me off if I put my face near her. I can snort Rex fur all day long and be fine. ;)

Back