Rex fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RabbitTrader.com wrote:
Hi! I raised Rex for years and LOVED the fur, didn't have much of a problem with shedding. The coat is unique in that the guard hairs are as long as the top coat, so even with brushing there's not much to shed out on a well-bred Rex.

Have you heard of a breed called "Astrex"? I believe it is the only hypoallergenic rabbit breed. It is a curly haired rabbit andthe breedis comes from a recessive gene found in the Rex. The fur is similar to a Bashkir Curly horse, or like a poodle, in the way that it is curly and hypoallergenic. The Astrexare very rare and the breed is still being developed. From what I understand it is very hard to breed for thecurly hairgene.

Here'ssome moreinfo on theAstrex: http://www.rabbitgeek.com/astrex.html

Crystal
Piixel has Astrex fur. She's a Velveteen Lop, half mini Rex and half English Lop. I don't know if she's hypoallergenic, though. All I can say is that she doesn't make us sneeze! But, does shed alot. We've got bunny fur everywhere, even in rooms she seldom visits. Her fur is so fine that it drifts throughout the house on air currents. We call the front foyer the "Bunny Fur Depository". She never goes there (slick wood floors deter her), but I could make a big fluffy pillow from all the fur that lands there.

We actually get more "drifting fur" from her than we do from Skyler who is an American Fuzzy Lop. However, he mats more than she does.

LOL! jenson - snortin' that rexy fur! LOL!

FLick...... SHE'S SO CUTE!! I've always wanted one since I saw one a couple of years ago! They are just so cute!

Jess_Sully, I just want to say I had a minirex (that's her in my av, actually:).)and she hardly shedded or even molted:D. (I have a pic of her shedding if you'd like to see it;).) Our Holland Lop however, omg! Molts badly!:shock: So, not sure about other Hollands, but imo, have your friend stay away from that breed;).

You've gotten lots of great comments from everyone, but I figured I'd go ahead and throw my 2 cents in here too.

I really do believe that it depends on the individual bunny as to how they shed and how much they shed. My husband and I have 2 Mini Rexes, both about the same age and nearly the same weight (one boy and one girl) and they shed differently.

Bender, the blue buck, is actually going through a molt right now. (An old picture, but you can see how the new coat comes in shorter on him: pic.) He's really good about letting me groom him and as long as I stay on top of it (at least once a day), the amount of fur that "flies" really isn't bad at all. He hardly ever sheds unless he's molting, like he's doing now.

Lily, the broken black doe, is another story. Her molts aren't nearly as "clean"; she seems to be shedding constantly, except for a couple of really good months every now and then. Her fur flies everywhere! I just have to make sure that I wash my hands after I pet her and have a lint roller handy, if I pick her up. (Oh, and sometimes a tissue too, if some of her fur gets in my nose!)

Their furIS really fine; it floats through the air and goes wherever the wind takes it. I think the key is to vacuum every once in a while and keep your bunny well-groomed. I will say that I LOVE that they're really soft! :biggrin2:

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back