Rest in Peace Qingqing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im very sorry for your loss :(:( It is so heartbreaking to loose a pet even when ou know it is coming. ((((HUGS for you))))

Naturestee, the vet injected Caspian directly into the abdomen without any form of prior sedation. It took him nearly four minutes to lose consciousness and even longer for his heart to stop beating. He ground his teeth intensely during the time he was conscious....he was not doing this before the Pentobarb was administered.

The vet checked an ear vein before hand and because he only checked one I assumed a suitable vein had been identified. He then pulled Casp towards him and administered the Pentobarb into his abdomen before I had a chance to stop him. He was not near death or collapse (which waould cause the vein to collapse) and due to other events that followed I can only assume the vet was in a hurry and did not want to waste time locating a vein or waiting for sedation to take effect.

Previously I had always had an IV Pentobarb injection as my preferred method but some vets struggle to find a vein and it can stress the rabbit. Other vets prefer to 'gass them down' before hand so they are semi-sedated, however the smell of the gas is awful and many rabbits panic and have even been known to scream. It also means your rabbits last lucid moments are not spent with you but a stranger.

After consulting my rabbit savvy vet (as opposoed to the emergency vet that performed th procedure) Judith Brown at the RWA and other experienced owners and veterinary nurses I now have it on my records that my rabbits may only be euthanised AFTER an intramuscular injection of Domitor (Drug used in GAs and IM means no fiddling to find a vein) which renders them totally unconscious. This takes a few minutes extra but literally means they drift of to sleep without fear or pain in the owners arms.

I will then allow the pentobarb to be administered abdominally.

Both PETA, Judith Brown and many other vets agree there is absoluely no reason why a intracardial pentobarb injection should be neccesary especially in a conscious rabbit as should the vet miss the heart death is slow and painful.

I hope this post does not upset anyone but I think it is VERY important people are aware about the correct method for PTS on a rabbit as it differs so greatly from larger animals and its not a topic people like to discuss due to the difficult emotions it raises.

Dear Nancy,

I am so sorry for your loss. She was lucky to have you. There are so many rabbits who don't have that kind of Love.

Sincerely,

Michelle

Oh Nancy, I am so sorry for your loss. Qingqing was very special. Such a blessing for her to pass in the arms of someone that loved her. What a lovely memory you have of her... and a beautiful resting place.

I hope you find peace knowing you did everything for her. Take the time to grieve... and don't be ashamed to cry.

Another angel waits at the bridge... :angel:

Intracardial injections tend to be a lot...louder, if some kind of sedative isn't given beforehand. I wouldn't call it a peaceful death.

I was actually getting a bit choked up over Qingqing...I didn't know her but I wish I did. RIP Qingqing, you were so unique and beautiful. Binky free baby.

Nancy, I am so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful rabbit. Through your stories and pictures, I became very attached to her. Your were a wonderful bunny mom, doing everything possible to give her a goodlife. At some point in the future, wehn you have recovered from this loss, I hope you will consider being mom to another bunny. Some bunny out there will really need your loving care.

Ann

Nancy, I am so very sorry about beautiful Qingqing. I have been keeping up with what was happening to her in your posts, but didn't reply as I had nothing construcive to add. I just hoped and prayed that somehow she would come through it.

You certainly went the extra mile for her, and I'm sure your students (they sound lovely) will miss her a great deal too. She certainly touched many hearts here, and will not be forgotten.

Thinking of you.

Jan

I'm so sorry you lost Qingqing.

You did everything you could for her and I'm sure she knew how much she was loved.

Binky free, Qingqing

:rainbow:

Nancy, I am so sorry for you loss.:cry4:

She knew she was loved by many, and really, that's all that matters on this earth. To be loved. You are a great bunny mom.

Rest in peace Qingqing.:bunnyangel:

Im so sorry for your loss:(

Im sure she would of loved the fact that so many of your friends turned up when she was being buried

Binky free :rainbow:

I am so sorry Qingqing is gone.

She waspart of yourfamily for you and your students.

She was also familyonthis forum.You shared the experience with uswhen you brought homea little 2 month old white bunny, with red eyes. Her name was unique as you named her after the Qinghai provincethat looks like a rabbit in the west. We watched her grow and go through all the things that we love about bunnies. We learned how a rabbit lived in different places apart from our own homes. Qingqing expanded our knowledge in rabbits and in the lives people who loved her.

Thank-you for sharing Qingqing with us. Forever in our hearts.

Binky freeQingqing.

Rainbows :pink iris:

I'm so sorry Nancy. Qingqing was always a part of RO for me, one of my earliest memories of the forum. The gorgeous sweet bun in China. I'm very glad you were able to be with her when she died, and so were your students who loved her.

Binky free, Qingqing. And have fun running on the track! :rainbow:

What a sweet and unique bun Quingquing was. You gave her such a wonderful life and lots of love after you rescued her from the market. I hope you can open your heart up again for another bunny when the time is right. Burying her by the track was a wonderful idea. Run free, sweet Quingquing.

I have been thinking about you all day Nancy,i know you will be so sad and lost without your little girl....i hope that you are doing ok though,i really do feel every bit of your pain....but just know that your in my thoughts

:hug:

Take care

Cheryl

Sorry I'm late in responding and in posting to the Rainbow Bridge. I didn't feel like writing for the couple of days after Qingqing's death, then I had a computer virus get in and shut down my machine. It was finally fixed yesterday. Now I need to reinstall the photo software. I lost some photos in the crash, but my favorite ones of Qingqing were still in my camera, so I'm happy about that.

I'm really touched by what you RO members have written here.

I've got to prepare for my afternoon class. I'll be back later today or tomorrow.

Oh, yes, I cried for a couple of days. Even now, a week later, there are still times I want to tear up or even cry. But I am almost recovered. Ah, she was a good little rabbit. I sure do miss her.

Oh honey, I know how you feel. So do many others on here. It's so very hard. Just know we are here for you and KNOW what you're going through. It took me a month to feel better. Two weeks to stop feeling sick to my stomach:?.

Hugs to you honey. I'll be thinking of you.:hug:

Latest posts

Back