(RESOLVED) Flemish needs home.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelnSnuffy

Reaction score
I took my cat in to be spayed today and one ofthe techstold me that there is a Flemish Giant, 3 yrs old,litter trained and has a wonderful personality ("like a dog or cat")free to good home. The owners are moving and cannot take therabbit with them. :disgust:

I wish I had the room for another one, but I don't, and I already have two buns.

The location is Peoria, IL and the vet to contact if anyone isinterested is All Pets Vetinary Hospital,at 309-685-1441.:anyone:

Sounds like whoever gets the bun will be veryvery lucky. Having a flemish around is so much fun. Tiny has claimedEric's bedroom as his own - but he comes out into the living roomseveral times per day - sometimes just to check on me I think.

Flemish are wonderful house pets and I think it is so sad that thesefolks have to rehome their flemish - but I think its great they're notjust saying, "Let's put it down" or "Let's let it loose in the wild".At least they're trying to do the responsible thing!

Peg

That is a good thing, but I don't understand whythey can't find something where they can take their bun w/ them,especially if it's as cool as they say it is. Believe me, ifI had a bigger house, :ponder:. Unfortunately, I don't know asoul around here that wants a rabbit.:disgust:

It's sad but sometimes circumstances are justthat no matter what you cannot take them with:( Ihad two rabbits 12 years ago named Appy and Moo.They were beautiful and they were my babies. They wereneutered males, brothers and bondedwonderfully. We had an apt where theywere allowed. Then my son got verysick. I had medical bills up thewazoo. Then I got sick and the bills got worse and I couldnot care for myself or my 3 kids and husband. The decisionwas made to go live with my family. But dad wasadamant...NO rabbits. He said he'd behelping to pay our bills and support us so that hubby's check could gofor the medical bills (son had an apnea monitor costing us 700bucks amonth when we were making probably 1400 at thetime). So I had to rehome them. I triedfor 6 weeks to get them into a home. No one wanted to take just onemuch less the both of them. I finally had to turnthem over to a shelter. I HATED doingthat. I cried for days over it, but I had nochoice. So it's easy to say "just find a place that will takethem", but sometimes it just is NOT possible and we have to put ourhuman children's welfare above that of our furbabies.

Oh, man. I live in Illinois, I am about two anda half hours from Peoria, but my hubby says no rabbits in the house,and I really can't see making him live in the barn. Besides, I alreadyhave three out there that are rescues and I need to find new homes forthem.

Is there anyone on here that can take him? We have that railroad thing,right? Surely we can get him to someone who will take him.

Hey Snuffles, do you know if thisbunnyis still at the vet's office? I honestly think he'll bepretty easy to place, consideringhe's a Flemish and there'sno adoption fee,but if need be, we'll keep this thread bumpedand maybe post it in a few other places as well.

Let us know!

sas :bunnydance:

Still no takers for the bunny. Theygave me the owners #s. I asked if when these peeps move, anychance they could house the bun at their office until they found a homefor it and they said no, that they've done that in the past w/ kittysand it's too much work. :shock:

:waiting::anyone:

I sooo wish I had the room/money rightnow. But it's just too tight for me to take on another animaland the expense :( I'm having enough problems making endsmeet with the ones I have. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 rabbit,1 hamster and 1 guinea pig.

A much-loved Flemish on the Pet Bunny list waskilled by a dog today. :( Horriblyupsetting. When everything calms down I'll see what area hewas in, its an extreme long shot that hewas near-by this oneand that his owners are interested, but worth a shot.

sas

I would love to takehim/her. The only thing is I live in NorthCarolina. I used to be on this website asThumper/Lucy. I forgot my password so I startedagain. As some people mightremember I lost Thumperseveral years ago. It was so painful that I had to waitbefore I got another rabbitbut I think I am readyagain! My house is 100%bunny proof and I have a good rabbitvet that I used to take Thumper too. I have everything Iwould need. I have been wanting a FG for a whilenow. They are hard to find in this area.I am afraidthey are raised for foodhere and aren't on the petmarket. Iam home all day so he would rarely bealone. How does the "railroad" work?Would it be possible to get him to me? I am so excited at thethought that I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight! Please keepme posted on this big guy.

Alij, that would be wonderful if we could worksomething out! I know its a bit far, but I dont think its impossible. Ihave to hit the hay tonight but let me check around tomorrow and seewhat we can do. With the holidays coming up, people are doing a lot oftravelling, so maybe we can find someone going out that way.

Snuffles, where is the new family moving? Maybe if itsin that directionwe could work something out.

Alij, if this doesnt work, we do have Trixie (in NY) who also needs ahome. Shes a minilop and just has an awesome personality. Check out herthread if you have time.

WOW!! That would be great! Iwill check back in tomorrow! It breaks my heart how so many rabbits endup homeless. It is so sad. I understand why Trixxyneeds a new home and I am so sorry for her family. I know itis hard but that isn't the case with most rabbits. Yea!!

Seeing as it's close to 1000 miles, worthlooking at the airline travelers as well. I'll have to dig upthe thread re: which airlines allow bunnies to travel in the cabin.

I've been meaning to see how a Craigslist ad looking for people flyingfrom point A to point B willing to take a carry-oncarrierwould work. (It may becramped fora Flemish, but the flight would only be an hour and some I think).

Of course if somebody's driving that way, all the better. :)

sas

The only thing about flights is that the carrierhas to be small enuogh to fit under the seat in front of you. I dontthink a flemmie could fit in a carrier that small!

Is anyone coming this way from the midwest for the holidays? Or does anyone else have any suggestions?

Also, what is Craigslist?

Alison

Back