Resolved! Dotty looking better

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Dotty probably tried to get her pineapple juice and can't get her head in there! :bawl: LOL!

I am glad she liked the juice tho! That's great! and it sounds like she's feeling a bit better.

What kind of baby food have you been giving her? (just curious).....

I hope you feel better! if you have to lay around cause you're dizzy - Dotty can keep you company!

In my long response earlier I totally forgot to say that we had a vet appt with Clara at 4.15 today lol.

So, we went to the vets this afternoon! :p Clara is really happy with her wound, she doesn't see any irritation from it at all and says its healing really well.

She dd give her an injection of Zantac? Which has been used with our bunnies before post-op, and has worked well, although I don't think I've heard of anyone else on here using it?

She also gave us more fibreplex, because we went through the whole tube yesterday lol. So now we have 3 tubes to keep giving her the extra fibre. She also said to just keep giving her as much critical care, fluids etc as we can- we're already doing all the things she would suggest! Re. the metacam, she said to give it a rest for at least today, but we can give her a dose tomorrow if she appears to be in any pain (which she doesn't so far).

She wants us to call tomorrow afternoon with an update, and hopes she would have made more improvement by then.

I'm glad we've seen her. I trust her and feel more reassured now. She knows us and she knows Dotty fairly well already. Plus we needed more Fibreplex and I really wasn't sure on the whole metacam issue

Oh, and the grass suggestion? Brilliant! Some of the snow melted and when we got back from the vets I picked a big handful earlier and she just gobbled it up out of my hand! I left her some more but she's not touched it since though :(

Zantac is quite commonly used in the UK in conjunction with Metacam to prevent gut irritation (apparently Metacam has a similar reaction in bunnies as meds like aspirin and ibuprofen have in people).

Grass is great, and has worked really well to keep some of mine out of stasis after a spay, namely Summer and Dopey 1. It might be worth getting soem fresh grass, because they seem to appreciate the fresh stuff, so getting a handful every hour or so during the day might be worthwhile.

I'm glad she is doing well though :)

Oh, and expect the grass to makes her poos really dark, don't be worried about that, it's common.

Flashy wrote:
Zantac is quite commonly used in the UK in conjunction with Metacam to prevent gut irritation (apparently Metacam has a similar reaction in bunnies as meds like aspirin and ibuprofen have in people).

Grass is great, and has worked really well to keep some of mine out of stasis after a spay, namely Summer and Dopey 1. It might be worth getting soem fresh grass, because they seem to appreciate the fresh stuff, so getting a handful every hour or so during the day might be worthwhile.

I'm glad she is doing well though :)

Oh, and expect the grass to makes her poos really dark, don't be worried about that, it's common.
I thought that- I just found a link that said it prevents gut irritation etc.

Yeah, I noticed that in the summer when mine were outside a lot their poos got darker. Never linked the 2 though lol!

Pennie, we have banana, apple, and pear baby food! All organic, with nothing added. Those are the only flavours we could find that don't have rice, or other random things added. :)

And yeah I'm laid up on the moment- sucks! :( Dotty keeps giving me basil-breath kisses though lol :p

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Zantac is a stomach med. Maybe she'll do better soon.

Is she used to getting so many greens?
Yeah she eats loads of veggies- more so than pellets. She gets them for breakfast and dinner lol. Herbs are her favourite- any kind, but she also loves carrot tops, and spring greens. She likes to put the lettuce in the water and save it for later :D Silly bunny!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Some of our horses will "dip" their hay in their water buckets! LOL!

I have had hay "dunkers," too - of the horse variety.

Glad to hear Dotty is getting better - hope you feel better, too, Jen. (I had my post op appointment yesterday - no stones, no sludge, no cancer and the doc said the anesthesia will take 6-8 weeks to totally clear from my system...which causes me to get tired easily.)

Give Dotty a hug and nose rub from me!

Denise

Flashy wrote:
Is she still improving?
Not really :(

She ate a little bit of basil this morning, but she still wont eat anything else... We got lots of critical care into her, plus more pineapple juice and baby food, and fibreplex. She's running up and down the hallway and binkying happily though. But she just wont eat a thing :?

Her poos have started to get a bit bigger...

I'm going to try and find some more fresh grass for her now if there's enough out there...

I'm starting to get really worried about her now.... I just wish I knew what to do!

It doesn't help that I'm very emotional and upset today in general lol. I am so so dizzy but we have a new bed being delivered this afternoon so I've been cleaning the bedroom and the rest of the house is a state... I keep falling over but I have to keep cleaning because I can't stand the mess and it isn't going to clean itself... I can't decide whether I want to break lots of things in anger or sit and cry..... :(

Whoa! That was a bit of a rant.. sorry...

Anyway, I have to call the vets a bit later and let Clara know how she is.... :(

ss might just do the trick. I find I seem to be able to always tempt them with that.

angieluv wrote:
Any changes??? :expressionless
Nope :( Although I did see her drink on her own a bit earlier. She is running around upstairs, playing- chucking her toys about etc, but she just wont eat! I don't know what to do.....

It's good she is lively and alert though, that's something. Hopefully the exercise will stimulate her gut. I wonder if maybe her mouth was hurt during surgery or something? That's a very long shot. I hope she starts to eat by herself soon.

If they do it is because that's where she needs to be and she will get the best care. However, its normally only a last result, so if you can just keep doing what you are doing, or if you can do whatever needs to be done at home they they may be happy to let her come home, especailly if she is happy in herself.

Oh no! I thought she was fine!

Strange she's playing and stuff but won't eat....

There is some sort of medicine they can give them to stimulate eating. Bo had it but I have no idea what it was :(

Back from the vets, but it's only a quick update as we need to go do yet another veggie run.

Clara had a good long listen and can still hear gut sounds, but they're less frequent than yesterday. She can't feel an impaction or blockage, which would make sense with some poos (although small ones) being produced?

She can only think at the moment that there may be some kind of infection internally that we can't see, although the external wound looks and feels great and is healing well. She's started her on injections of Baytril, and gave her a shot of metaclopromide as well (don't hurt me!). Honestly, I am willing to try anything at this point! I just don't understand why she wont eat :(

She wants to see her back at 9am tomorrow, and if she's not looking better by then, they might have to consider hospitilisation, and either an ultrasound or an x-ray to see what might be going on. But she wants to try and avoid an aneasthetic if at all possible, for obvious reasons.

She took a looooong drink of water when she got home, which is the first time I think I've seen her drink on her own for a while, so that's a good sign. We're going to try syringing her all sorts tonight and tempting her with all sorts of foods.

I really, really, don't want her to go into hospital. I wont be able to sleep at night if she isn't in the room asking for nose rubs, flopping out and jumping around :cry1: I cried all over her earlier like she was a giant tissue and told her she had to get better because I couldn't make do without her. She gave me lots of kisses as if she was saying 'I'm trying mum' She HAS to get better! Has to... :(

Anyone ever had any luck juicing herbs or anything like that and syringing them? Wondering if it might be better for her than the baby food. Along with the critical care of course....

Any suggestions very welcome! :nerves1

Latest posts

Back