Resolved! Dotty looking better

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
Soo... Dotty was spayed on Thursday. She came round really well, was eating loads within a few hours, pooping, etc.

She had a post-op check at the vets on Saturday who said her incision was looking great

She's been getting daily doses of Metacam

But, last night she stopped eating. Her poops have gotten really small, although not dried? The consistency of normal poo?:?

She didn't touch much of her dinner last night, but she did eat some carrot tops that I hand-fed her. Steve syringed her 20mls of water as a precation, which she took really willingly.

She's barely touched her breakfast this morning at all, although she did take a little bit more water from me, but she's not drinking it out of the bowl. :?

She is still acting quite alert- she's sat by Steve's feet in the office, asking for noserubs, etc etc, but she's not galloping up and down the hallway or anything

The incision still looks ok to me, although I'm far from an expert. Feels a bit warm to the touch but that could also be cos it's her skin and that's warm anyway?

ANYWAY, long story short, she has a vets appointment at 11.45. It's 10.30am here now. I'm hoping that they will up her Metacam dose...

Should I give her some critical care or something before we go?

:(

Good luck Jen - I hope Dotty is feeling better after her visit to the veterinarian...and I am hoping she does not have a problem with GI stasis (it happens in people and horses after surgery).

:hugsquish:

Denise

Aw, what is she like. It might be worth giving her a snugglesafe as an option, just incase she feels cold.

Just remember to stay calm because she will pick up on if you are stressed and it will make it worse.

As a side note, there is the possibility this isn't related to the spay, unlikely, yes, but still a possibility, so just bear that in mind at the vets too.

Just a thought, but if she has been having more fresh than usual to aid her recovery, could she have gas or similar due to the larger amounts of fresh?

Jen, definitely get her checked, but around here we have a saying that the "third day is the worst" after surgery or injury. I found it's very true - maybe something to do with the healing process? or just her body adjusting?

Regardless, I sure hope she gets back to normal now! :hug:

if its warm. (the cut i mean)itr might mean an infection...
but might not be the case..
good luuck:heartbeat:

Aww thanks everyone :)

Well the vet gave her the metacam via injection (which I think is more effective than orally, or am I wrong?), gave us Fibreplex to give her, and told us to keep her syringed with fluids, critical care, baby food, etc.

He didn't increase her metacam dose :grumpy: He was reluctant to because of the effect that it can have on the kidneys and stomach, specially on an empty stomach. I am not sure whether that's a good thing or not. I'm also not sure whether the dose she's getting is small or not now... :?

Anyway, we've given her 20mls of baby food mixed with water, and another 20mls of water. I have critical care soaking now to give her in a bit. She had the fibreplex as well which she LOVED lol...

She's very perky and alert, not sitting hunched up or anything, but just doesn't want to eat?

Flashy, I had thought about the possibility of it being something other than her spay too, but not sure what, lol. Her teeth are all perfectly fine- have been checked recently... He said the inciscion site looks good- no swelling or indication of infection...

She's not even eating hay at the moment...

:?

Flashy wrote:
Just a thought, but if she has been having more fresh than usual to aid her recovery, could she have gas or similar due to the larger amounts of fresh?
I did think that, but it's not really that much more than usual. More carrot tops and herbs than usual, but she's been eating those in place of romaine and greens, because they seem to be her favourite lol. She hasn't been eating that many pellets though, and she hasn't had hay for a while, so that may be it.

Simeticone can't hurt right, if it's not gas? Is it worth giving her some just in case you think?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Jen, definitely get her checked, but around here we have a saying that the "third day is the worst" after surgery or injury. I found it's very true - maybe something to do with the healing process? or just her body adjusting?

Regardless, I sure hope she gets back to normal now! :hug:
Sorry for the 3rd post in a row- I forgot to reply to these... replies!

I was thinking that too- and the vet did say that it could be a sort of 'hangover' from the aneasthetic, and that he doesn't find it that uncommon in rabbits sometimes, when they've been eating happily before.

One thing I did like about him is not once did he mention metaclopromide! Usually I find vets are so quick to jump in with that. I was dreading coming back and telling you guys she'd had some lol :p

Poor Dotty. I wonder what's going on for her. Did the vet feel her internally as well as look at her wound? The only reason I ask was that when Summer was spayed she had a tiny wound and obviously a big uterus coming out of a tiny wound can cause some irritation and on the 4th/5th day Summer went right downhill and it turned out she had irritation inside from the internal stitches. We spent a week pulling her away from stasis.

Another thought might be cystitis. From what I can work out, when a uterus is pulled through a small space it can disrupt the other internal organs in the 'tugging' and can catch and disrupt the bladder. Maybe this has happened with her?

I'm only mentioning these things because you said that her spay woudn was smaller than your other buns ones were, despite her being a bigger bun.

Flashy wrote:
Poor Dotty. I wonder what's going on for her. Did the vet feel her internally as well as look at her wound? The only reason I ask was that when Summer was spayed she had a tiny wound and obviously a big uterus coming out of a tiny wound can cause some irritation and on the 4th/5th day Summer went right downhill and it turned out she had irritation inside from the internal stitches. We spent a week pulling her away from stasis.

Another thought might be cystitis. From what I can work out, when a uterus is pulled through a small space it can disrupt the other internal organs in the 'tugging' and can catch and disrupt the bladder. Maybe this has happened with her?

I'm only mentioning these things because you said that her spay woudn was smaller than your other buns ones were, despite her being a bigger bun.

He did feel her stomach quite a bit and said it seemed ok, but I guess that sort of thing could be easily missed. I'll keep a close eye on it for any swelling or anything when I'm feeding her. She's not overly grooming it or anything either.

What would symptoms of cystitis be? She's peeing still, although less because she's drinking less I'd imagine. I don't know if it's the same as with humans where you go all the time lol- she's definitely not doing that...

The wound is about 4 inches long maybe? Thinking about it, I'm not sure if it just looks smaller to me because when the other girls were spayed, the wound took up more of the length of their underside, just because they are so small in comparison lol. Although supposedly the vet that does the surgery is known for being very neat and having small op sites. :?

I didn't mind that vet today, but I think I would have felt better seeing Clara. I seem to remember she doesn't consult on Mondays though. We'll be going back to see her tomorrow if she isn't better!

I knew I shouldn't have been telling you all how well she was doing! I must have jinxed it lol...

mouse_chalk wrote:
I was thinking that too- and the vet did say that it could be a sort of 'hangover' from the aneasthetic, and that he doesn't find it that uncommon in rabbits sometimes, when they've been eating happily before.

:yeahthat:
Sounds like Chippy's recovery.

The first 24 hours she was pretty much out of it.
The second day she was eating and drinking....less than normal, though.
And the 3rd day she wasn't interested in eating/drinking much at all.
It took a couple more days for her to start eating and drinking normally.

The vet told me it was common after-effects from the anaesthesia.

JimD wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:

:yeahthat:
Sounds like Chippy's recovery.

The first 24 hours she was pretty much out of it.
The second day she was eating and drinking....less than normal, though.
And the 3rd day she wasn't interested in eating/drinking much at all.
It took a couple more days for her to start eating and drinking normally.

The vet told me it was common after-effects from the anaesthesia.

I thought you had one that did that but I couldn't remember who it was! You were so worried on that third day!

I think I've heard it before from people with girls getting spayed too!

Jen, I sure hope she comes around quickly. Poor thing!

Thank you guys!

I've been in and out of the forum all day, I had to go to the human doctor just now, although he did something semi-productive about my dizziness, but that's a whole other post.

She's pretty much the same as earlier- she's still pooping lots of the tiny poops, but I think it's better than nothing at least- I really don't want them to stop.

We've given her another 10ml of water, 10ml of baby food (watered down a bit) and 10ml of critical care, and some more Fibreplex. She takes the stuff quite well from the syringe, she doesn't struggle as much as Chalk would which is lucky. Although I have to hold her on her back to do it, and she keeps trancing out instead lol so we have to wake her up again- that's not good for her to swallow! At any other time I would love a tranced bunny that I could clip nails, etc etc :rollseyes

Re. the critical care- I've been mixing it with a bit of water, then leaving it to soak for a while. It absorbs a ton of water, so then I'm adding a bit more to make it easier to get into a syringe. Is this right? I don't know if it's maybe too watery but I can't get it into the syringe otherwise lol...

Latest posts

Back