Resolved!-Belle seems off again.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're back- and I was wrong, Belle didn't have to stay there. :)

Belle's back teeth are pointed, and causing her gums to bleed- again. So, on Thursday morning I have to bring her back so they can put her under anesthetics and trim her teeth- again. Until then, they gave her SQ fluids, and I have to syringe feed her twice a day. Now that I think of it, she should have been given pain meds... :?I think I still have Metacam from like two months ago- would that be okay to give to her?

Thanks everyone. :biggrin2:The support here is just awesome. :):):)

I just syringe fed Belle and gave her the Metacam. Belle was still drooling when I fed her, and the drooling is usually caused by dental pain, right? I was wondering if the Metacam will cease the drooling temporarily? I'm a little concerned because she seems to be drooling an awful lot. :?

Oh, I forgot to mention, yesterday Belle's head was tilted a bit to the left, and when we got her to the vet, it was then slightly tilting to the right... And I'm 100% positive it was tilting to the left at home. Is that normal?

The drooling is caused more by the condition of the teeth than by pain...possibly she has a misaligned bite and can't close her mouth properly. I do know that Beau drools a lot when his teeth need to be done and then after the procedure he also drools probably from the trauma and work done inside the mouth.
Idon't think the head tilt is related to the teeth problem but I do think that the lowering of the immune system from the dental issues and pain could exacerbate ec symtoms in a bunny who has it.
The vet will determine what is the best course of action isalthough I am quite sure they are not the same problem

Well, atleast Metacam works for the pain then.

As for the head tilt, it really seems to be coming and going; she'll be tilted ,very slightly, for a little while and then the tilt is gone. Then it comes back. It's weird.

I dropped Belle off at the vet around 9, but I didn't get a chance to talk to her vet. When I call later in the afternoon, I'll ask her about the head tiltpattern I'm seeing.

I'll also keep you guys updated.

As always, thanks for everything.

Update:

I just got a call from the vet- Belle is doing fine. All of her back teeth on the right had to be trimmed, plus some on the left. I guess some were really jagged and also loose. :(I was told that this is something will most likely have to be done often.:(:(So, I was thinking, I need to get pet insurance for Belle and Necro because this is all going to be pretty expensive... I've been doing some research online, but I can't find pet insurance that covers rabbits... does anyone have insurance for their rabbits?

Oh- they also found a couple of fleas on Belle. :grumpy:That means Necro has fleas because they're bonded and they're always together. I'd say that maybe they got the fleas from the our chihuahuas, but our dogs don't go outside; they're too afraid to, and refuse to go to the bathroom outside-we have a box setup inside for them that gets cleaned multiple times a day.So that also means we'll have to treat the dogs and also flea bomb the house. :X

I know how to treat dogs for fleas, but how do you treat rabbits?

Update:

I just got a call from the vet- Belle is doing fine. All of her back teeth on the right had to be trimmed, plus some on the left. I guess some were really jagged and also loose. :(I was told that this is something will most likely have to be done often.:(:(So, I was thinking, I need to get pet insurance for Belle and Necro because this is all going to be pretty expensive... I've been doing some research online, but I can't find pet insurance that covers rabbits... does anyone have insurance for their rabbits?

Oh- they also found a couple of fleas on Belle. :grumpy:That means Necro has fleas because they're bonded and they're always together. I'd say that maybe they got the fleas from the our chihuahuas, but our dogs don't go outside; they're too afraid to, and refuse to go to the bathroom outside-we have a box setup inside for them that gets cleaned multiple times a day.So that also means we'll have to treat the dogs and also flea bomb the house. :X

I know how to treat dogs for fleas, but how do you treat rabbits?

Another update:

I called the vet to see how Belle is doing and to see if she can come home tonight and it's not looking good right now. Belle's up and moving, but she hasn't eaten, she hasn't peed and she hasn't pooped.:?And I didn't talk to the vet- I talked to a vet tech... so I have to call back at 6:30, which is hopefully when they can give some more information. :(

ETA: Belle is being hospitalized.I have to call in the morning. :tears2:

Belle is home with a five day treatment of Baytril, Meloxicam, Propulsid, Lactulose and Critical care. She's eaten and peed, but she still hasn't pooped. I don't know if this will help because I don't know of she's gassy, but should I give her some tummy massages?

Regarding the flea problem, they used Advantage (for cats) on Belle and suggested that I do the same for Necro. I'm kind of reluctant to do this because I read that using Advantage and other flea medication on rabbits is a risk. Then again, I've never had to deal with fleas on my rabbits, soI could be way off.

Belle seems to be doing fine right now though, with the exception of not pooping, but as always, I'll keep updating.

Advantage and revolution are safe in general

You need to get her eating ..maybe try to think of everything that you could either syringe feed her or offer her that she would like.

like fresh leafy greens, or pumpkin with a smidge of banana or baby food.
I don't know if she;s getting critical care or not but sometimes you can add a little pumpkin to make it taste better. . What is she eating and how much??

Belle is getting critical care and she hates being syringe fed so much. I think I'll add a little pumpkin. Maybe if she likes it, she won't fight the syringe as much.

Belle was eating some greens and hay at the vets office, but now that I have her home I haven't seen her eat on her own at all. I've offered her different things, but even if she wasn't sick, she wouldn't eat most of it because she's a picky eater. She likes pellets, hay, celery and lettuce. She won't eat anything else. Oh and cheerios. We have plenty of those, but I don't think that's the best thing for her right now. I'll keep offering her different foods. Hopefully she'll eat something.

pumpkin is easier to syringe feed than CC..sometimes I give pumpkin for awhile if I am having a lot of trouble with the CC

if she likes cheerios then give her like 2

something to whet her appetite and get her gut juices moving

I'll try a couple of cheerios then. :)

I gave her some red lettuce and it seems she'd rather tear it to shreds than eat it. Hopefully the cheerios will help. :sigh:

Latest posts

Back