Resolved!-Belle seems off again.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
Hey everyone. It seems I only post when I'm concerned about one of the rabbits... in truth, I have been horribly busy... as always though, I thank RO for everything.

I'm not sure how to explain this without sounding like a babbling idiot, but here goes nothing. Belle won't lift her ears. She has them flat against the back of her head. At first, I thought maybe her ears were cold, as it has gotten pretty cold here, but I felt them and they're actually very warm, as if she might have a slight fever. I have no idea what this could mean. :?. And insight would be appreciated.

That probably is an indication of not feeling well, however, can't tell too much just from that. If she is anoutside bunwould you be able to take her in the house and just observe her behavior for the day?

Also is theire any other changes in her eating ,pooping or behavior at all that you can tell?

ChandieLee wrote:
Belle won't lift her ears. She has them flat against the back of her head. At first, I thought maybe her ears were cold, as it has gotten pretty cold here, but I felt them and they're actually very warm, as if she might have a slight fever. I have no idea what this could mean. :?. And insight would be appreciated.

Hi, this is puzzling as I have not seen rabbits flatten their ears from a period of time rather than a moment here and there. I wonder if her ears are causing her some pain, if there is an infection inside? Perhaps she is actually warming them by leaving them down, so that they are not as exposed. How long have they been like this- is she moving around and hopping with them down etc?

Hey guys.

Belle is doing fine for the most part. She's eating, drinking, pooping, she's not lethargic. And at the moment she's only keeping one ear down. Even as she moves around the cage, she keeps her left ear down, and the right one up. Her ears are definitely not as warm as they were yesterday. Months ago, Belle had head-tilt and GI Stasis- could her ears have anything to do with that?

if she was tilted on the left side from an inner ear infection ..possibly she has developed another infection. ?

if this continuesI would take her to the vet and have her ears checked out. It does sound like a physical response to something bothering her.

I think you're right Angieluv. Belle probably needs a trip to the vet. She is no longer keeping her ears down, but she's grinding her teeth alot, so I'm guessing she may be in pain... but where? I can't quite figure that out.

Thanks for the well wishing. :)

Belle actually seems to be doing fine now, so I'm kind of confused. Her ears are upright, and she's not grinding her teeth. Should I still make an appointment with her vet?

I would still go. A simple vet visit is usually pretty cheap, especially if they don't find anything. $30-40 for peace of mind is worth it, IMO. It sounds like she was really in pain--I would assume the ears down were from the pain or fear (bunnies often keep ears down due to fear), maybe even being afraid because she was in pain.

I've made an appointment; they don't have anything until Monday, but for now that's okay because Belle is fine at the moment. If she does start grinding her teeth again and holding her ears back, I will call them back or get her the the emergency vet. I'll keep you guys updated.

As always, thanks for everything.

Belle goes to the vet today at 6:30. And it seems she has more problems today; she seems to be tilting her head slightly to the left, she's drooling, and she seems to twitch ever so slightly. I'm not sure if she's even eaten at all today. :?I have a feeling she'll be hospitalized again. I have no idea how I'm going to afford this. :(:banghead

ETA: Also wanted to add that she will not leave Necro's side. Everwhere Necro goes, Belle goes. I know they're bonded, but this is slightly unusual for Belle because usually she likes to go off and do her own thing.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Sounds like your baby has been through so much lately. I couldn't remember from your other posts- but how was her head tilt treated the last time, and has she shown positive for e.c. in tests? Since she is displaying some poor symptoms now, it might be best to go ahead and treat her for e.c.

Keep us posted on how things go at the vets- wishing the best for you. :pray:

The last time Belle was treated for head tilt, she was given Panacur. And yes, she was tested for EC, but the vet who tested her told me that it "seemed like she had EC" and gave her Panacur. He didn't tell me that she definitely had EC, only that it seemed that she had EC. :XNeedless to say, he wasn't very helpful.

Belle's head tilt isn't permanent. She only has it when she's ill. But I heard that was common... still, she sees the vet today, so it wouldn't hurt to have her tested for it.

Thanks for the well wishing. :)I'll update when I get home from the vet's office.

Chandra

ChandieLee wrote:
ETA: Also wanted to add that she will not leave Necro's side. Everwhere Necro goes, Belle goes. I know they're bonded, but this is slightly unusual for Belle because usually she likes to go off and do her own thing.
Are you bringing Necro to the vet with Belle. I think that would be a good idea. She may not be as stressed out.

Latest posts

Back