Rescued three loose and starving rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are beautiful bunnies, and I can't believe how tame they are! Poor Mr Bean and his ear mites, and poor Dew with his shredded ears :( He and Ned can be Funky Ear Buddies. I hope everything turns out okay with Sadie's pregnancy!!

Yay, I'm glad you caught them. It's great your friend's keeping Mountain Dew!

Fingers crossed Sadie can be safely spayed. I doubt it, looking at her tummy. :(

I just have to keep on going back to look at Mr Bean's ears; things like that just make my fingers itch to do something with it! Although I know you're not supposed to pick scabs...

Mt. Dew is one lucky bunny!

And so are the other two - you were lucky they were so easy to catch. When I found Gandalf (RIP) it took my husband and I an hour to catch him.

Prayers for Sadie, hopefully those babies won't take too much out of her.:pray:

Sadie is NOT pregnant! :yahoo:

I'm very happy because it's the best thing for her and any babies she would have had. Not to mention it will be hard enough finding someone to adopt a big bunny like her despite amazing personality. Plus the overpopulation problem. So HURRAY for small miracles! She is scheduled for a spay next Wednesday which is the soonest available. Oh, and she also got passed her general health exam. No fleas or anything like that. I'm thinking her stomach is just because she has been eating all she can and the rest of her body is skinny. She has no muscle really.

All of the rescues have extremely short nails. Not just on the back feet either. I would expect them to be short because of running on the concrete and what not, but I'm talking no white in the nail at all. Just quick and that is it. Such a small amount of nail that when you first look they all look broken off. It's quite strange and sad too. Every time I look at these rabbits it makes me happy I could save their lives and absolutely sick with human beings. These rabbits are sweet as can be. You can pick them up and turn them over no problem. Sadie was an angel at the vet office; perfect bunny. There is no excuse to dump them outside anyway, but because of their wonderful personalities it makes it that much more sickening.

At least we know Sadie (besides being malnourished) is in good health.

I was having to wait until next week Mr. Bean to get treatment for his ear mites because the only close vet to me had a medical emergency. However, he is becoming increasingly uncomfortable with his bad ear and my friend is seeing him digging it in quite a lot, which is not good. So I decided to make the 55 min drive to a vet farther away so he can be seen tomorrow.

Poor guy... :( We've estimated him to be 5 months old. When we first rescued him he was drinking a 32 oz water bottle A DAY! Just a lot of water. Who knows how dehydrated he had become living outside on his own. Thankfully he has started to slow down and he's even putting on some weight.

Lets hope the ear mites are cleared up quickly.

I'm not sure how mineral oil would help ear mites... Or do you mean the irritation?

Mr. Bean's ear mite infestation turned out to be much more severe than we thought. I'm so thankful I made the long drive to get him seen today. The vet could actually see the mites moving on the chunks of gunk removed from his ear. The smell was awful as there was a pocket of pus. Obviously this has been going on for a while. The really heartbreaking part? When the vet first started cleaning the ear Mr. Bean started screaming. I've never heard a rabbit screaming before and it pains your heart greatly. :( He was given a injection of Ivermectin and antibiotics.

Happi Bun wrote:
Mr. Bean's ear mite infestation turned out to be much more severe than we thought. I'm so thankful I made the long drive to get him seen today. The vet could actually see the mites moving on the chunks of gunk removed from his ear. The smell was awful as there was a pocket of pus. Obviously this has been going on for a while. The really heartbreaking part? When the vet first started cleaning the ear Mr. Bean started screaming. I've never heard a rabbit screaming before and it pains your heart greatly. :( He was given a injection of Ivermectin and antibiotics.

How to put the shoe on the other foot? Abandon the humans who abandon rabbits, and let parasites eat their flesh and dine on their blood.

Well guys, I now know why they were abandoned outside. My godmother found out from the husband that lived there. Apparently his wife was cheating on him then got a restraining order against him. The rabbits belonged to him. He wasn't allowed to go home, see his child, nothing. The wife hasn't been living there either apparently. She dumped the rabbits outside in spite I suppose. The really sad thing is she drove by after we caught them and was looking at us. My godmother told me the bunnies would go under her fence all the time. So I ran across the street to take a peek. Sure enough there were fresh rabbit poops. The poor babies were going back to the property yet still allowed to starve and suffer. People amaze me. :X

The husband was grateful we caught them and be finding them loving homes where this will never happen again.

They are all doing well and really coming out of their shells. Sadie weighs 9 lbs and Mr. Bean weighs 4 lbs. :)

Some people dont deserve to be able to have pets. I am so glad that you have such a kind heart, you have more than likely saved 3 beautiful bunnies lives.

Does the husband not want them back as they were his? Or does just not care now either.

Such lucky lucky bunnies xxx

My feeling is that if someone turns out a pet like that, they should be reported to the authorities. Need to put a letter on their forehead so they can't get any more pets and have to carry the stigma around with them--just my biased feelings.

He didn't mention anything about wanting them back, so I didn't press the matter because they didn't appear to have a good home before being dumped. Sadie is now at my house after passing quarantine. I'm now officially her foster mommy. She is putting on weight and her bloated stomach has gone down dramatically. I think it was from just lack of proper nutrition. She still has some urine stains.

8c2c4af2.jpg

76046e23.jpg

947fafc1.jpg

Here are some new pics of Mr. Bean. His ear is sooo much better!!
He has become quite the handful though, puberty has hit him big time.

5d403219.jpg

Check out those feet and ears!
2db36cdd.jpg

With his foster mommy...
e811f446.jpg

Back