Rescued baby bunny from outside (lion head)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing better than baby bunny snuggles :)

You can try using some sterile saline to keep the eye rinsed out until you can have the vet look at him Monday. I know both of those eye drops can be used for rabbits, but I don't know what all goes into deciding which is good for what, or if this being a baby bunny makes any difference. The fucthalmic drops seem like they are more commonly used than the other, but this is just from a brief internet search. Do you know which is considered a better rabbit vet? I think something to keep in mind is that some vets that aren't terribly experienced with rabbits, seem to use beyril as the goto antibiotic for rabbits, since that is the one that is considered the safest and is the most commonly used, but it doesn't mean other antibiotics can't be used safely and effectively. Is it possible that this other vet isn't very rabbit savvy?

Here are a few link I've found about their use in rabbits.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Fucidic_Acid.htm
http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

Nothing better than baby bunny snuggles :)

You can try using some sterile saline to keep the eye rinsed out until you can have the vet look at him Monday. I know both of those eye drops can be used for rabbits, but I don't know what all goes into deciding which is good for what, or if this being a baby bunny makes any difference. The fucthalmic drops seem like they are more commonly used than the other, but this is just from a brief internet search. Do you know which is considered a better rabbit vet? I think something to keep in mind is that some vets that aren't terribly experienced with rabbits, seem to use beyril as the goto antibiotic for rabbits, since that is the one that is considered the safest and is the most commonly used, but it doesn't mean other antibiotics can't be used safely and effectively. Is it possible that this other vet isn't very rabbit savvy?

Here are a few link I've found about their use in rabbits.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Fucidic_Acid.htm
http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

Thats what I was thinking too Jenny, about one not being as rabbit savy. I went to my old clinic. My vet said I didnt have to bring bunny with me. She gave me the tobrex. Its 1 drop every 12 hours. I will start it this evening. I trust her. She helped with me Kiwi and if you remember me talking about Citrus? If his eye gets worse, or not better, I will take him in to see her. She said it could be many things, maybe even a blocked tear duct. Who knows. Im just glad I got some meds, and spoke with her about it. I did check on him before i left, and his eye seemed almost ok, with just a tiny bit of goop in the corner of his right eye. Maybe Im seeing things? Im such a WORRIER!!

looks 6-7 weeks in that picture. probably lionhead mix, or poorly bred lionhead. He's got fairly big ears for his size so he may get 5-7 lbs at maturity. Fits good in your hand too... so probably closer to 7 weeks. He'll grow good. Once you get them started they tend to keep going. Feed pellets and hay now that he's started. Shouldn't need much else.

use a warm wet tea bag on that eye. Get it all the way open and clean it out. The astrigents help with healing, the bag is soft and won't cause further damage. Check the eye to make sure there is no dust or bits of anything in it.

With having that as a health issue I would keep him well away from your other rabbits for a good month. This includes washing your hands/changing clothes before handling/feeding/touching the other rabbits. Minimize air borne pathogens as much as you can.

use a warm wet tea bag on that eye. Get it all the way open and clean it out. The astrigents help with healing, the bag is soft and won't cause further damage. Check the eye to make sure there is no dust or bits of anything in it.

With having that as a health issue I would keep him well away from your other rabbits for a good month. This includes washing your hands/changing clothes before handling/feeding/touching the other rabbits. Minimize air borne pathogens as much as you can.

I live in an open concept basement apt. I dont have the option to have them in completely separate rooms.. I do wash my hands & change my clothes between bunnies though.

I just moved him downstairs. He is completely freaked out like he was on Thurs night... Ugh. He came completely come out of his shell, and now hes hiding again in his crate. I got him to eat some critical care when I first brought him down, so at least he has a somewhat full belly right now. Poor guy.

Poor little guy :( He might be a little nervous about the new bunny smells. Is he doing any better now that he's had some time to get used to it?

Poor little guy :( He might be a little nervous about the new bunny smells. Is he doing any better now that he's had some time to get used to it?

Well first, let me explain his new set up. He has a bunny cage (big one) that opens up into his run, which is made up of NIC cubes. When I first put him in there, he was scared but got used it to, I would say within the hour. Hes so brave! Because hes so tiny, he wasent able to actually hop into his cage. I have a litter box outside the cage, and one inside as well, hay/ water, inside & out as well. I have my kitty downstairs... He used to be an outdoor kitty, & im afraid because bunny is so tiny, kitty may think hes a toy... So, when I went to have dinner, I put him in the cage & shut the cage door, as he is safer in there when Im not there to watch my kitty. Of course, he was scared again. Now, two hours or so later, (ive been checking on him), hes great! When Im there to watch him later on, I will let him out again to run around before bedtime. Everytime I check on him, he jumps up & pleads for me to let him out. Its so cute. Once hes bigger, I wont have to lock him in there, but for now, thats where hes the safest. Kiwi & Papaya were twice the size of him, so ill be a bit yet till hes able to be unsupervised with my kitty.

Please be careful about using any flea stuff on him. If you use the wrong stuff it could harm him. I was told by my vet to use the one for cats on rabbits but in the condition he is in, I would check with the vet and since the temp has been COLD I doubt any fleas or ticks could be living in that cold a temp. I don't have any on my dogs now and I'm in the US and in the DC area. You are up in Ontario and I know it's heaps colder there.. Please call the vet and check and in the meantime, get a flea comb and use on him just to be safe...

Vanessa

Well I am a worrier, so ive been in contact with two bunny vets. Im getting conflicting info though. One is telling me to use fucthalmic or tobrex (no steroid in case of ulcer), and the other is saying not to use fucthalmic, that it will kill him, and she dosent recommend the tobrex either. She wants him on baytrl eye drops, which need to be ordered. I dont know what to do!

Tobramycin eye drops seem to be a very common treatment for eye infections in rabbits. Baytril eye drops sounds odd to me; I don't have an educated reason to think that, really, I guess it's just that (based on all I know about biology/medicine/rabbit medicine) I just get the feeling that there's gotta be something better/more viable than baytril eye drops. I'm glad you got the tobramycin drops (and that they're not a kind that also have dexamethasone, since steroids are awfully risky for rabbits).

Please be careful about using any flea stuff on him. If you use the wrong stuff it could harm him.

The stuff she was considering, Advantage (imidacloprid), is totally safe for bunns (over weaning age, at any rate) ;) [As is Revolution (selamectin); those two and ivermectin are the only safe pest meds for rabbits.]

He has a bunny cage (big one) that opens up into his run, which is made up of NIC cubes. When I first put him in there, he was scared but got used it to, I would say within the hour. Hes so brave! Because hes so tiny, he wasent able to actually hop into his cage. I have a litter box outside the cage, and one inside as well, hay/ water, inside & out as well.

I really don't recommend leaving him in the NIC cube run without close supervision at his age unless you attach cardboard or coroplast or something to the sides or mesh them with chicken wire or hardware cloth to ensure that he can't stick his head through the holes. I remember when my lionhead was around 9 weeks old, measuring the width of her face with my fingers and then holding them up to a grid and concluding that I didn't think she could fit her head through one of those tiny squares.

Naturally, Nala proved me wrong. I was taking a nap and woke up to the sound of rabbit feet scuffling frantically against the tarp flooring... I lept out of bed instantly and ran to the living room, as my first thought was that the noise indicated a rabbit in distress. It turns out that Nala had managed to jump out of the little (1 grid high) NIC pen I had put up for them (I had watched them for a couple hours before my nap and no one showed any inclination to jump out) and then tried to go BACK into the pen by shoving her face through a grid o_O

Her head went through the grid easily, but then her ears popped up and prevented her from backing out. It took numerous fail attempts at solving the problem and a trip to my neighbor's house at 7:15 in the morning before we eventually realized that all I needed to do was tuck her ears back through the grid and then her head slid right out. She was no worse for wear aside from having vegetable oil on the fur around her neck (not my brightest idea, heh; I was barely awake/trying not to panic and have apparently seen too many old TV sitcoms where a kid got their head stuck in a banister and another kid buttered their head to get them out), but I imagine she could really have hurt herself by struggling if I hadn't been there to calm her down and keep her still.

LOL, I love that story about Nala! And the oil. Too funny:p

I had something similar happen too, with Baby, but she was much younger(5 wks) and much smaller. She didn't get stuck though, and actually slipped right through and out. They always love it when they figure out how to break free :) I never imagined that fluffy bun was small enough to do that.

Tobramycin eye drops seem to be a very common treatment for eye infections in rabbits. Baytril eye drops sounds odd to me; I don't have an educated reason to think that, really, I guess it's just that (based on all I know about biology/medicine/rabbit medicine) I just get the feeling that there's gotta be something better/more viable than baytril eye drops. I'm glad you got the tobramycin drops (and that they're not a kind that also have dexamethasone, since steroids are awfully risky for rabbits).

The stuff she was considering, Advantage (imidacloprid), is totally safe for bunns (over weaning age, at any rate) ;) [As is Revolution (selamectin); those two and ivermectin are the only safe pest meds for rabbits.]

I really don't recommend leaving him in the NIC cube run without close supervision at his age unless you attach cardboard or coroplast or something to the sides or mesh them with chicken wire or hardware cloth to ensure that he can't stick his head through the holes. I remember when my lionhead was around 9 weeks old, measuring the width of her face with my fingers and then holding them up to a grid and concluding that I didn't think she could fit her head through one of those tiny squares.

Naturally, Nala proved me wrong. I was taking a nap and woke up to the sound of rabbit feet scuffling frantically against the tarp flooring... I lept out of bed instantly and ran to the living room, as my first thought was that the noise indicated a rabbit in distress. It turns out that Nala had managed to jump out of the little (1 grid high) NIC pen I had put up for them (I had watched them for a couple hours before my nap and no one showed any inclination to jump out) and then tried to go BACK into the pen by shoving her face through a grid o_O

Her head went through the grid easily, but then her ears popped up and prevented her from backing out. It took numerous fail attempts at solving the problem and a trip to my neighbor's house at 7:15 in the morning before we eventually realized that all I needed to do was tuck her ears back through the grid and then her head slid right out. She was no worse for wear aside from having vegetable oil on the fur around her neck (not my brightest idea, heh; I was barely awake/trying not to panic and have apparently seen too many old TV sitcoms where a kid got their head stuck in a banister and another kid buttered their head to get them out), but I imagine she could really have hurt herself by struggling if I hadn't been there to calm her down and keep her still.

Omg, that is a super funny story about Nala! It's only funny because she didn't get hurt. Of course I was thinking about the NIC cubes as well, and the size of his head. I don't think his head can fit though them, but after hearing your story & Jenny's story, I won't leave him unsupervised in them at all. I couldn't imagine him getting his head stuck. I would freak!

I don't know if I was imagining an eye problem, but I haven't gone ahead & started the drops yet. His eye seemed perfectly fine last night. I haven't gotten a good look at it this morning yet though.

I'm not going to put on any advantage just yet. I've looked through his coat, and I don't see any flea dirt. I just know what a pain in the butt it is to get rid of fleas. And of course, if he has them, everyone in the house would have to be treated...5 cats, 2 other buns, & 2 dogs. That can get
expensive really fast!

Here's a pic of the little one sleeping on my lap!

image.jpg

Do you think it's a netherland?

Do you think it's a netherland?

I was actually thinking maybe he's a cross. I've only ever had lops, so me he looks like a lion head, crossed with a dwarf?

Here is his current set up. I know I have to build the NIC cubes higher, but right now I think it's ok.

image.jpg

He is just so tiny and cute :inlove:

That looks great! I used 1 level high nic grids for a while with my babies. It'll probably work fine for at least another week.

He's just so tiny hard to take a good guess but he's a lovely colour, cage seems just right for him now, look forward to seeing this little fella grow ;)

Thanks guys! He defintely came to the right home. Its funny, cause I almost didnt go to work on Thurs. I wasent feeling that great, but decided to go anyways. Good thing I did cause I got this little guy!

If he is indeed a boy, Ive decided his name will be Cloud :hearts If he is actually a she, it will be Apricot. Currently, hes Cloudy Apricot. I wanted to stick with my fruit theme since I have Kiwi Lemon Child & Papaya... lol My previous bunny was Citrus, and before that was Star, so all their names kinda go together :laughsmiley:

I really like cloud. It could be a type of name for either a boy or girl. It certainly fits. =)

Hey guys, so I'm wondering how much this little one is supposted to sleep? I feed the critical care four time a day. About 1/2 to 3/4 of a regular human spoon. Is that enough? I feed him & then he goes to sleep. He's still eating his hay, but maybe not a ton of it?
I'm at work for the morning, and I'm worried about him. He's still pooing & peeing, but he did have some soft poos this morning after he ate the critical care.
Any insite welcome. Am I just being an over paranoid mama? Or is something wrong?

Anyone re my above question please?

I also wanted to give a quick update. He seems fine tonight (just put him to bunny bedtime) bright & alert, eating, drinking, pooping & peeing.

I brought the "baby scale" from work home with me today. Last Thurs he was 174 grams. Today he is 242 grams!!! Little Cloudy Apricot is growing up!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back