Rescued baby bunny from outside (lion head)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have an idea how much he weighs?

Yes, I weighed him yesterday at the clinic, & he was 174 grams, so 0.38 lbs or 0.17kgs... Super tiny. Why do you ask?

Also, I think he looks like a lionhead, but could I be mistaken?

He's just an adorable little fluffball!!! How can you stand not to just smoosh that cute little face all day :) That's so great he's eating now, and little poops, yay! That's always a relief.

I think your guess on age is still right. Usually when they are around 3 weeks, they are still a little bit wobbly in their walking, but by 4-5 weeks they are really busy and zipping around quite well. Any idea what's going to happen with the little guy?

If there are tufts of fur around his head, he's probably at least part lionhead.

0.17kg... he's so tiny! Best of luck with him. :) Glad to read he's eating and pooping now.

Yes, I weighed him yesterday at the clinic, & he was 174 grams, so 0.38 lbs or 0.17kgs... Super tiny. Why do you ask?

Also, I think he looks like a lionhead, but could I be mistaken?

Trying to see if I could find something online that could indicate age/weight of lionhead/lionhead mix... that's all... I'm still looking but cannot find anything yet..

Vanessa

Your doing super for him! He is beautiful! I hope he makes it x

He's just an adorable little fluffball!!! How can you stand not to just smoosh that cute little face all day :) That's so great he's eating now, and little poops, yay! That's always a relief.

I think your guess on age is still right. Usually when they are around 3 weeks, they are still a little bit wobbly in their walking, but by 4-5 weeks they are really busy and zipping around quite well. Any idea what's going to happen with the little guy?

If there are tufts of fur around his head, he's probably at least part lionhead.

He really is adorable! Ive never had a bunny whos ears stand up straight! Ive only ever had lops! Im so in love with this little bun! And he kisses you back when you kiss him on the face!

Of course I want to keep him... But my SO says no... Im going to work on that cause Im so attached to him already, and ive had him less then 24 hours...

He comes out of his crate (door is open for him at all times) to greet me when I walk in the room.. Hes in a bathroom with the door closed. I cant trust the cats & dogs with him just yet. Hes too tiny. He is so inquisitive about everything & nothing seems to scare him. I guess thats what living outside does for you...

How long would you say I should keep him away from my other buns? I dont plan on trying to bond them any time soon... That should be fun.. LOL It took me 6 months for Kiwi & Papaya to bond... I change my clothes after handling him before I touch my other buns. Im going to do have a fecal done next week to check for any parasites.

Trying to see if I could find something online that could indicate age/weight of lionhead/lionhead mix... that's all... I'm still looking but cannot find anything yet..

Vanessa

Keep me posted lovelops!

Yeah, it's hard to give up those cute babies when you raise them and get so attached. I only rehomed one of mine and kept the rest cause I worried so much about them going to good homes.

Some people will quarantine for a month, just to be safe. I've gone both ways. I quarantined the stray my neighbor found, for a month, but didn't on a new baby I got because I was worried about the stress of keeping her separate and alone. There's always a risk if you don't quarantine, but there's also nothing certain that a month is even going to be long enough for some things. I've found it's mostly breeders that will quarantine new rabbits. Usually pet owners don't in part because they don't think about it, they are keeping the new bun no matter what and these buns are going to be sharing space any ways, and sometimes it's just not feasible to quarantine.

I would say if there is no chance you're keeping him, then it's probably best to continue to quarantine. No sense in risking the health of your own buns. But if you are going to keep him for sure, then no reason not to introduce him to your buns. And if you do introduce them, first see how they react through cage bars. If there are signs of aggression, you probably don't want to let them be together until they've had a while to calm down and feel more comfortable with him, or until he is neutered. If they just seem interested in each other, you could probably very cautiously introduce them, maybe with Papaya first, as he seems like he would be the most easygoing about it. And just watch for signs of aggression or irritation(tail up, circling, lunging), and end the intro if there is any, before any nipping or biting occurs.

Some people say to wait until a bun is neutered before introducing them to each other, and in some cases you do need to do that, but I've had times where I have needed to put a baby bun in with an older one, and it's worked out well. I carefully pick which older bun, as some aren't friendly(Dakota :)), but there are benefits to letting them be with an older rabbit. They can teach them bunny manners and also give them a friend, and help them not feel so nervous in a new home. But this all does need to be done carefully, as you don't want the older bun attacking the younger. But I've sometimes found older rabbits will often behave differently to babies than they would to another adult rabbit. They are usually more accepting of them. So you just have to kind of gauge their reactions and go from there. Curiosity and interest are good, tail up and pawing at the cage bars aren't. But you dealt with the difficulty of Kiwi and Papaya, so you know what those negative reactions can look like.

For the weight, not that it matters all that much as long as he doesn't seem boney, but when Baby was 4 weeks, she was really small at 4 oz. By 5 weeks she had doubled her weight. And Baby is part lionhead and is about 4.5 lb now.

Last edited:
Its still debatable if i will be keeping him or not... I wont introduce him right now anyways. I want to make sure hes free of parasites and seems healthy enough. I dont need three sick bunnies! One is terrible enough to deal with, time and money wise. Hes currently separate, and will stay that way for a while.

He does feel a bit boney though...

More poos this afternoon! Is there such a thing as giving too much alphafa hay to the baby? He seems like hes enjoying the hay now, so could i possibly cut back on the critical care feedings now?:party0002:

Last edited:
You do want to be careful about introducing alfalfa hay too quickly. It's best to start with small amounts and gradually increase. Maybe if you just put out a little bit and then mix it with the grass hay, that will help encourage him to eat the grass. With the grass hay, you want it to have the leafier bits as the thick hard stems can sometimes be hard for little babies to eat. Maybe just keep offering some critical care until you see him eating more grass hay, and until you are gradually able to increase the alfalfa hay amounts. Is he not touching pellets at all and are they timothy or alfalfa based?

You do want to be careful about introducing alfalfa hay too quickly. It's best to start with small amounts and gradually increase. Maybe if you just put out a little bit and then mix it with the grass hay, that will help encourage him to eat the grass. With the grass hay, you want it to have the leafier bits as the thick hard stems can sometimes be hard for little babies to eat. Maybe just keep offering some critical care until you see him eating more grass hay, and until you are gradually able to increase the alfalfa hay amounts. Is he not touching pellets at all and are they timothy or alfalfa based?

I hope I havent been feeding too much alfalfa hay. Ive been making small piles for him, and within two to three hours he has eaten it all up. I have also been mixing it in with the timothy hay, in hopes that he starts eating that too. I havent seen any diarrhea, just lots of small baby poos- and lots of them! How will I know if hes eating too much alfalfa? What signs should I watch for?

I will keep feeding the critical care, but maybe not so often. Would I be right in saying that he should have about 15-20mls a day? But im assuming that amount is only if hes not eating anything else?

Ive seen him eat one pellet. Its timothy based as thats all I have right now for Kiwi & Papaya. I will pick up the alfalfa based ones tomororw, along with some grass hay. Ive also been told that oatmeal flakes would be good for him. Is this a yay or a nay for the oatmeal flakes?

It could be something like an upset stomach where he stops eating. You know all those signs from Kiwi. Or changes in poop, getting mushy poop. As long as he keeps eating and his poops stay good, then he should be just fine with what you've been giving him. Not all rabbits are going to be sensitive to alfalfa, but it does happen sometimes, so I always suggest to start it out slowly.

You'll probably have better luck with the alfalfa pellets, as that is probably what he would have been eating wherever he came from. I would skip the oatmeal flakes. Too many carbs.

For the critical care, maybe just start reducing the amount a little and see if it gets him eating more hay. Also if he seems to like the alfalfa pellets, then you can gradually decrease the critical care as you increase the pellet amount.

All in all, he sounds like he is doing pretty good.

How will I know if hes eating too much alfalfa? What signs should I watch for?

I made the mistake of giving my girls unlimited alfalfa as soon as I brought them home (breeder had been feeding grass hay only); Nala had no problems at all but Gaz developed soft/mushy poops. If poop looks 100% normal and there's lots of it, then you're not feeding too much.

As for quarantine, I most often hear 14 days (minimum) recommended for rabbits, though with sugar gliders, it's 30 days and some people will also suggest that for other animals. In my experience, you'll usually know within 14 days (and a thorough vet check) anything that you'd know within 30 (specifically, issues most often arise in the first week); however, it never hurts to err on the side of caution.

Of course I want to keep him... But my SO says no... Im going to work on that cause Im so attached to him already, and ive had him less then 24 hours...

A 4-5 week old ball of fluff can be terribly persuasive if given a little time - I wouldn't be surprised if the new bunn does the convincing for you!

I just impulse-adopted a third rabbit myself at the end of December; luckily, my boyfriend is worse about "Omg, bunny! Gimme, gimme, gimme... *SQUEE*" than I am, lol. He'd never had or been around rabbits until Nala, Gaz and I moved in and he turned out to be a total sucker for my girls :p.

Well I just went up to give him his last feeding of the night. Lots more poo, but of course I saw a couple that were softer then the rest. Could it be the critical care as that is mixed with water to make a paste? Or could it be the alfalpha hay? I did give more alfalpha before I left him for the night, mixed in with the timothy hay.

I wont be back upstairs to see him for at least six hours (a girls gotta sleep too!), so I just wanted to make sure he had enough food to eat throughout the night.

He seems happy & bright, and even did a "baby blinky" for me! :pinkbouce:

I will be bringing him downstairs with me tomorrow. I live in a open concept basement apartment. My parents live upstairs, which is why I had the option to keep him up there last night & tonight. Tomorrow, he must be down here with me & my SO as my parents want their bathroom back.. lol...:humour:
Since Im in an open concept basement, the bunnies will be able to smell each other & see each other (depending on where I decide to set him up), but not touch at all. I would like to do at least a 14 day quarantine, which makes a lot of sense to me.

Should I perhaps apply some advantage just in case of fleas? I cant recall if hes to young for that right now.

(QUOTE) A 4-5 week old ball of fluff can be terribly persuasive if given a little time - I wouldn't be surprised if the new bunn does the convincing for you!

I just impulse-adopted a third rabbit myself at the end of December; luckily, my boyfriend is worse about "Omg, bunny! Gimme, gimme, gimme... *SQUEE*" than I am, lol. He'd never had or been around rabbits until Nala, Gaz and I moved in and he turned out to be a total sucker for my girls :p.[/QUOTE]

Im really hoping this is the case!!

Is there anything cuter than baby binkies :)

I think a little bit of soft poop is to be expected, considering all of these new foods introduced into his diet. It could be from the critical care or the alfalfa hay. Just keep an eye on it. If it doesn't clear up or gets worse, then you might need to try and change things, but hopefully he'll start eating some grass hay, and that should help.

I wouldn't be doing flea treatment on such a young bun, and I doubt it's necessary, especially this time of year. Maybe just give a close check in his fur around his neck and belly to see if you can spot anything, but I'm sure he's fine.

I can imagine your parents will be glad to reclaim their bathroom back from the bun :p I'm interested to hear how your own buns react when you bring this little guy downstairs, and how he reacts too.

Well, baby survives night two! I just gave him his critical care breakfast & more hay. He ate all the critical care, munched on some hay, & is now fast asleep on my leg, in my lap. How cute is that?!
I won't be putting any advantage on him then. I've looked through his coat, & I don't see any fleas, however; I've been wondering about one of his eyes. I don't think he can see very well of of one of them cause of his fluffy face. I was parting some hair to look at his eye, & I believe he has an eye infection :( I think it's shut more then the other & I think I see some green discharge in his eye. I know I'm a vet tech, but how urgent is this for such a young bun? Can it wait till Monday? I don't even know if one of my vets is in today to see him.

I think it should be ok to wait but I do recall conjunctivitis medicine is the same in humans and animals so if you really worry you could use a tiny bit of human stuff x

Well I am a worrier, so ive been in contact with two bunny vets. Im getting conflicting info though. One is telling me to use fucthalmic or tobrex (no steroid in case of ulcer), and the other is saying not to use fucthalmic, that it will kill him, and she dosent recommend the tobrex either. She wants him on baytrl eye drops, which need to be ordered. I dont know what to do!

Latest posts

Back