Rescue bunnies in cage next to own bunnies - E cuniculi risks yes/no?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxbun90

Reaction score
I've got two rescue bunnies that are 11 months old, they look fine and I just moved them to my place 2 days ago. Right now they are in the garage, but I'd like to build a semi-permanent hutch next to my current bunny hutch so they can get used to each other, and so the rescues don't have to stay in the garage. The rescues still need to be sterilized.

I've heard that putting bunnies together might be an E Cuniculi risk. How do I check if the new bunnies are carriers? And regardless, is there a risk in putting them in seperate hutches close together? I read that transmission is only through urine, and they'll have their own cage. We'll be walking through it though, so what are the risks?

If I remember correctly it is spread through urine. I have one with it and 1 without. I keep them separated.

Why is it just E. Cuniculi you worry about, and not any other pathogens? Bringing in new rabbits always has a small potential of contamination, be it diseases or parasites. More serious breeders and show people do put new rabbits or ones that met other rabbits in quarantine for about 3 weeks to see if something pops up, as far away from their herd as practical, and following proper proceedures, like always catering to the new rabbits last, washing hands/changing clothes/shoes after that, using seperate set of tools, dishes etc.

I'm not trying to make you paranoid, a lot depends on what you know about where the rabbits are from, maybe have seen that the parents and other rabbits are healthy, and how much you can trust that people that everything is ok, if you have them checked by a vet (including testing for common issues), and if you have a plan B if there is something or if you're going to keep them together anyway in the long run.

Personally, I didn't put rabbits I got from breeders in my road into quarentine, they are from the same stock and and I know the herds and breeders. If I would buy one from somewhere else I would do it to some extent.

Latest posts

Back