Ren's WILDlife

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with her! Hopefully it's just due to the diet change.

Maybe if traveling is that stressful to her, you could ask the vet if you could just drop off a urine sample without bringing her in to start things off? Then see what they find and take things from there.

Sheriff drinks enormous amounts of water (like he is always dying of thirst) but the vet said nothing is wrong. Hopefully that is the case with you!

Thanks for the comforting thoughts and feedback, guys. I had a looksie at Wendy's urine when I cleaned her cage and it really looks no different than it always has, so I'm hoping that since this cropped up at the same time as the dietary change, it's just a matter of more fiber in the diet demanding more water. But, I called my more local vet and will be dropping off some wee for them to have a look at on Monday, and if anything seems off, she'll come in for an appt later in the week. Crossing all crossables that nothing's up!

In other bunny news, today is an exciting day for my bunnies (ok, probably more just for me) because today we switch to 100% new diet! I've been upping the % new food by 25% a week. Even going this gradually, Brinny always has a stomach upset the day we change the food, so I'm glad I elected to do it over the course of four weeks instead of a week. While I know my girl will have a grumpy tummy today, I also know that this is the beginning of my girls on a much healthier pellet base, so I'm very pysched. AND I found a local (SUPPLIES ONLY, WOOHOO!) vendor that sells their food for what I get it for online, which is awesome because now I needn't pay shipping. Believe it or not but everyone around here sells their Oxbow and Zupreme for such a radically high price that even with the price of shipping, it's cheaper online.

I really wish that high quality pet food was affordable for everyone. I see no reason, based on the ingrediets, that Oxbow should be so overpriced. I think a lot of these new "all natural" pet foods have deliberately inflated prices simply because there are folks willing to pay that much. People assume it's expensive because the higher quality ingredients are so costly, and while this may be the case in a select few pet foods, it certainly isn't the case for all. Soy and wheat are heavily subsidized and make up 3/4 of the top ingredients in Oxbow Bunny Basics T, after all.

I just hate that the classism of good nutrition has spread into pet foods. I am very passionate, as a certified animal nutrition counselor, about quality animal nutrition. Diet related illness in pets is on the rise, and one thing we are consistently finding in animal nutrition is that animals are healthiest on diets that most closely mimic their natural/ancestral diets. Cats shouldn't be eating wheat, cattle shouldn't be eating corn, budgies shouldn't be eating 100% seed, and so fourth.

Yet these poor ingredients dominate modern pet foods due to their cheapness, and as a result, pets from lower income homes are typically fed foods that directly result in poor health later in life. And when owners can't afford vet bills for diabetes, food allergies, chronic urinary complications, and the like, the pets lose their homes or are euthanized. So much unnecessarry pet homelessness, suffering, and loss could be prevented if there was a higher standard for animal feed production, and a greater availability of higher quality, lower cost pet foods for ALL pet owners. [/rant]

While I'm on a rant...I went to the NW Berks Reptile Show & Sale yesterday to get bulk crickets for my cane toads. Cane toads eat tiny prey in their natural habitat, and since most cane toads in the pet trade are WC, they go for smaller prey despite their reputation of eating "anything and everything." Unfortunately, when one has a LARGE cane toad, that means they eat a whole lot of small prey - enough to say, decimate your entire cockroach colony in a few feedings! So I need to buy crickets, but at 20+ crix per feeding, and pet stores charging 10c a cricket, I'd be going through at least $8/wk in crickets - per toad! At reptile shows, I can get 1000 for ten dollars, which lasts up to two months.

I find reptile shows very sad, however. While there are some good, conscientious breeders of reptiles present, there are also always unethical vendors selling large quantities of stressed, unhealthy, wild caught or mass bred stock. I see animals with very demanding care needs like iguanas selling for low prices to little kids whose parents doubtless haven't researched. I see sensitive wild caught animals with their noses rubbed raw from trying to escape their collection cups. I see flagrant violations of USDA regulations, turtles and tortoises with unhealthy shells being sold to unwitting buyers, anacondas and alligators being sold to folks whose ability to provide life-long care is dubious, and more. It fills me with great sadness, because I've been doing exotics rescue for years now, and know just how prevelant improper husbandry and shuffling between homes is among these species.

Due to the money involved, reptiles and amphibians are more often sold privately between individuals than surrendered to shelters and rescues when they are unwanted. Don't get me wrong, our herp rescues are OVERFLOWING. But much as it is hard to get numbers on parrot homelessness because parrots do the "home to home shuffle" three, four, five times over before finally winding up in shelters. The same seems to happen with herps; several of my rescues have had the stories from their owners of "I got it from some guy who didn't want it anymore, and now I see why!" which means with me they're on at least home number 3.

I'm not sure where this was going other than: sometimes, I feel very, very sad and hopeless when I look at the state of captive animals in this country. With easter on the horizon, I know there are many rabbits, ducks, and chicks who will lose thier homes or their lives in the disposable easter pet rush. I know that many of the tiny baby turtles I saw going home in critter keepers in the arms of smiling children at the herp show will die of stress from poor husbandry or be released into non-native habitats before a year has passed. I know that the next animal I have to turn away from my (at capacity) rescue effort has an uncertain fate.

So much commodification and suffering, all of the sake of but I want one! I think we vegans have it wrong, campaigning about animals being used for meat or research; the exploitation of these animals has a real or perceived need. Is there anything more abhorrent than suffering and exploitation that occurs for the sake of want? I am not saying that we should go the path of PETA and liberate domesticated pets, but god - we need more education, more advocacy, more protection for pets.

So I feel bad posting but I have two guys that I was wondering If you could help me out with. Well not Jax so much but Bo. Jax is a leopard gecko but my sweet Bo is a blue tongue skink.

I get so much mixed info when it comes to Bo I was hoping you may know more. I try fruits and veg but he/she will only eat if ground into meat. He/she is PICKY.

Both my boys or girls I don't know came from owners who had no clue about them and gave me wrong info.

Can you shoot me a PM with info about their current husbandry? Specifically basking and cool end temperatures, humidity, substrate, diet, etc.? That will help me give you advice - don't feel bad asking, I'm very happy to help!

One thing I will say is that from the images in your avatar, it looks like your leopard gecko is on CalciSand or something like that. Although marketed as safe, CalciSand should never be used for leopard geckos or really reptiles in general. The caking property it touts for easy clean-up can be deadly: many leopard geckos have died from impactions after accidentally ingesting some of this sand; it is only "digestible" in minute quantities. It is also known for caking in the eyes and around the anus, causing irritation and discomfort.

Leopard geckos do not yeild from a sand-dune type environment by nature as the loose sand substrates often marketed for them would imply. They yeild from semi-arid, rocky grassland/steppe type environments. The soil is pretty hard packed and the geckos themselves spend most of their times in burrows or rock crevasses. While fine clay-like sands mixed with organic soil are utilized successfully by some keepers and foster natural digging behavior, many believe that the safest substrate for a leopard gecko is a non-particulate. After seeing a LOT of impactions at exotics vets, I am inclined to agree! Paper towel is a cheap alternative to sand substrates, or if you want a more naturalistic look, tile can be utilized and is AWESOME for holding the belly heat leopards need to properly digest.

At any rate, hope that helps and do PM me the husbandry parameters on both critters so I can guide you towards good advice.

That was when I first got them the vet said to use plain paper towel.

For Jax the gecko I managed to find a great forum. For Bo eh.

ETA I will pm you for Bo asap I know I'm not doing good so figured you could help do right by him.

Oh good, glad to know they're off of that substrate :)

Just a quick update today: heard back from the vet and he said that her urine looks normal. There are other possible causes to her heightened thirst, of course, but he said for the time being I should just keep an eye on her behavior and body condition closely. If anything seems off, bring her in. But if not, he said it's reasonable to assume, since this directly correlated with the change in diet, that she's just adjusting to eating much more fiber. I'm relieved that nothing turned up but still somewhat concerned, so I'll be watching Ms. Wendy like a hawk. She seems her perky, cranky self so far though; she boxed the cup of food right out of my hand at feeding time today. Such a jerk, lol.

Last night, Steve and I were on the couch watching Life of Mammals. Steve was snuggling a mammal of the rabbit kind, specifically Thanator, who is still his spoiled little baby. I felt lacking in critters to cuddle and made the foolish decision to socialize Zule.

Some iguanas are extremely friendly, laid back animals. They can be trained verbal and visual commands, will laze on their owner's lap for scritches, and roam the house at peace with all of its inhabitants. Other iguanas, however, are skittish, temperamental, and walks this earth with an overbearing misanthropy. Zule is one of those "other" iguanas.

Steve reluctuantly got on a big pair of handling gloves to fetch me my friend, as his enclosure is so large that my 5'1" frame can't reach the high perches he basks on. Well, perhaps he was taking lessons from Thanator, who hops to the front of the cage when he wants to come out - because Zule not only hopped to the front of the cage, but straight at Steve's face. Hoping to avoid a facefull of claws, Steve staggared back and Zule vanished across the room.

Unfortunately, he "vanished" in the direction of Ripley's cage. Macaws and Iguanas may yeild from the same region, but it doesn't mean they are chummy. Ripley screeched as Zule squeezed between the space where the cage meets the bottom tray and began frantically running around amidst the feathers and discarded feed. Steve scrambled after Zule as the iguana snapped and tail-whipped while I tried to distract a worked-up Ripley from chomping on the back of his head.

Of course, once he submitted to defeat, Zule was very content to calmly sit on my knee and watch TV, always with an uneasy eye cast in Steve's direction accompanied by a gaping mouth should his "dad" attempt to touch him. I suspect that for better or for worse, Zule is "my" iguana, because he surely isn't very fond of his owner who so dotingly pays his vet bills, built his enclosure, and prepares heaping (and pricey!) salads for him each day.

While most folks wouldn't be pleased to have a very hateful iguana wreaking havok in their room, both Steve and I were very pleased to see Zule full of such vim and vigor. Why? Well less than a year ago, Zule was so weak from metabolic bone disease that the day after we brought him home, he broke two of his legs just walking around his enclosure. It took big vet bills and a lot of intensive supplementation, hours babysitting him outdoors in the sun, etc. to get him to where he is today - not to mention the UVB and a good diet. Seeing Zule healthy and robust enough to leap from a cage and tear around the room top speed is exactly what anyone who loves and cares about this species wants.

... Though Steve did comment, after Zule was back in his cage and Thanator back to snuggling on his shoulder" "See? This is why I like rabbits." XD

RandomWiktor wrote:
Oh good, glad to know they're off of that substrate :)
:bunnydance:I was using carefresh because I didn't like the sand but the vet said paper towels are good.

This is Bo...

n764921616_2575857_922420.jpg

I have always wanted to rescue and iguana..I have rehablitated 2 but they were severly aggressive..one was put down due to being "unadoptable"
I was bitten, whipped, scratched, and literally feared the animal.
I give you giant applause for taking in such an hard species.

I have also rehabiliatated a blue tounge before Jade :)

Yeah, I've fostered three iguanas and only one was remotely nice - and probably because he was in bad shape and too weak to be vicious.

One was placed with an experiencer herper and hopefully tamed up well, being young. But the other was utterly vicious and had to go to a sanctuary because he was quite unadoptable; nothing but scratches, tail whips, and bites like the one you described. I got a bad infection because he ran through waste then gouged the heck out of my arms, at which point I decided this five foot worth of angry lizard was going to be impossible to place in a normal home. It involved driving from NY to NC but was well worth it :)

The "nice" one was a 3ft male that came in with the vicious 5ft one; they were being kept together in small housing and he'd just been starved and beaten by the dominant male. He was so far gone by the time we got him that our vet showed us his x-rays and blood tests then told us it was just a matter of keeping him comfortable. We had him in a big pen in my room but he decided he liked my bed, so for a couple of months I slept on the couch while he hung out on my pillow with a heat lamp hanging from my bedpost eating a salad breakfast in bed!

I really loved that lizard; such a shame that he suffered so dearly. He solidified my love for the species and my outrage for them being in the pet trade. I'm glad I've been able to help rehabilitate Zule successfully since I couldn't rehabilitate him.

I enjoyed reading about Zule!

I've rescued two iguanas in the past. Both of them tamed up fairly well with a lot of work, but unfortuantly neither of them ended up living all that long due to the neglect the suffered before I got them. The first one, Tiamat, lived with me for about 4 years before she passed. She was my only pet at the time and my pride and joy. I still miss her a lot. The second, Baby, was paralyzed and had liver damage, she only lived a few months after I got her.

Sitting in the living room keeping an eye on our cat, Leo, I'm grinning while writing this entry. Why? Well, I can hear in the near-silence of our house, my parents being at work and the birds still working through breakfast, the thump of Brindam's feet as my tubby bunny works at my latest bunny weight loss idea.

My rabbits enjoy a large helping of leafy greens and hay and a tiny bit of pellets, but I also like to give them little bits of fruit and veggie. Normally this goes in their bowl as a special treat a couple of times per week. But really, why shouldn't it be a more beneficial treat? Most of my pets have their food and especially treats put in enrichment toys, so why not the bunnies too? Sure the greens are in a hanging wire ball with a bell, but we can do better than that, no?

Introducing: the treat dispensing enrichment toy! AKA a wiffle ball stuffed with finely chopped fruits and veggies. The food falls out if the ball is rolled about.

wiffle.jpg

noms.jpg

What does Brindam think of it?

brinny1-1.jpg

What's that? I think I smell food...

brinny2.jpg

Hmm, I don't SEE a food bowl...

brinny3.jpg

Oooh! A toy that gives me food? Awesome!

She's been enjoying it while out and I can't WAIT to see what Wendy does with it once Brinny goes back in her pen.

That's a good idea! I think I'm going to have to steal it from you to try with my bunny trio. I'm always looking for new ways to keep them entertained.

I don't want to get too excited over nothing. However, I have been monitoring Wendy's water intake all week, and I'm gradually seeing a return to normal. Not long after we offered two bowls did she start not even finishing one bowl a day. Right now she's drinking about 3/4 bowl per day instead of two bowls That's almost back to her normal 1/2 bowl a day. I'm so relieved that whatever has been going on appears to be returning to normal. My vet reassured me that her urine looked good, but I've still been obsessing over the possibility of an underlying medical condition. Fingers crossed that this was a fluke from changing her diet!

I'll post something more substantial later :)

Oh geeze, so sorry, thought I posted here ages ago. (I probably wrote it up but forgot to hit the 'send' button). :embarrassed:

To set your mind at ease, my rabbits' water intake is directly related to their hay intake. The more hay the more water. I have two bunnies who go through (easily) a half a flake of tim a day and I really should have a trough to save the four-times-a-day bowl fill-ups.

And then there's Pipp. She won't touch hay. I felt terrible this past week because I took her water bowl out to the kitchen and forgot about it. She went five days without water. :shock: When I realized she didn't have her bowl, I filled it up and raced it over to her. She gave it a sniff but not even a lick. In five years I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen her drink plain water.

Everybunny else is somewhere in between, but pretty much correlated to the hay. (They all also get huge salads).

Very normal!

sas :bunnydance:

Thanks for the info, Pip! I'm relieved to hear that.

Boy am I whiped! I had a bad night's sleep because I have been a bit under the weather, but thought I could come home, care for critters at a leisurely pace, and get some rest this morning (where it doesn't smell like SKUNK; Steve's pup got skunked the other night and boy howdy is it stinky over there!).

22655_472868445374_782145374_10990349_4958092_n.jpg

Our little stinker :)

Apparently I forgot that I have animals, or more importantly that I do animal rescue, because I came home to an inbox reminding me that I'd promised to help today with some urgent goldfish placement... nearly two hours away. I proceeded to run around the house like a madwoman trying to get the animals fed and watered.

One of my maxims for rescue is that you don't take on anything unless what you already have is properly cared for. That includes transport days! So I had to fly around the house doing diet prep. AM diet prep is terribly labor-intensive. I don't believe in feeding most animals 100% of their food in a bowl. My rabbits get greens in a hanging ball, hay in a rack, and treats in a ball. My parrots get their food spread between a bowl and three different enrichment toys (each). My rodents get food stuffed in boxes, coin rolls, paper towel tubes, you name it. This is in addition to all of the cooking, chopping, mixing, etc. that goes into making food, and it is a total vampire of time.

foraging1.jpg

Just one of three foraging toys the parrot food goes into - not including their normal food bowl

I'm not sure how I got it all done, but I finally got on the road around 8:30am - armed with a GPS, fish bags, and cooler - on the way to Connecticut. By 10:15, I arrived to find three larger-than-indicated goldfish crammed in a small critter keeper in a cloud of their own waste. Goldfish can suffocate or be poisoned by waste very quickly in confined conditions, so it was a harrowing ride home even after moving them into a bag with a better surface area for oxygen. Had I been expecting so small a volume of water, I'd have fixed up one of my battery operated bubblers!

24205_10150108982300375_782145374_11301099_7034828_n.jpg

Freshly settled, though probably needing a cleaning tomorrow already- look at all those poo particles floating around from the bag they came home in O_O

By noon I had a crick in my neck and a bag full of very stressed goldfish, but I was home. I started acclimating them only to realize that - d'oh - I needed hay today to clean chickens and rabbits. So while they adjusted to the temperature and pH changes, I ran into town and loaded a few bales into the back of my Ford Taurus, the entire trunk of which is pretty thoroughly coated in hay. Feed store employees that don't know me always look surprised when I pull my car instead of a trailer or truck around back for my hay pick-up.

22655_475288710374_782145374_11011629_1603279_n.jpg

"Hay! Don't forget us!

It is now 2:00pm. The hay is unloaded, the animals are enjoying the sunshine while their indoor quarters have been cleaned. The goldfish are acclimated, the other two tanks of foster goldfish are cleaned... and now I need to get ready for school and work! So much for a rest, huh? x_x

Latest posts

Back