Ren's WILDlife

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks -
Sorry I haven't updated in ages. Life has been a whirlwind ever since we moved down here, some good, some bad.

A quick update on the bunnies, unfortunately with less positive news than I would have liked.

Leon shocked and saddened Steve and I by very suddenly and unexpectedly passing away in mid November. He showed no signs of declining health, and on the day he died, I left him in the morning happily munching on kale to find him at noon sprawled on his side lifeless. A necropsy isn't really something I could financially justify, but the sudden and symptomless death would lead me to believe something along the lines of a heart attack. Leon was a young bunny we were hoping to spend many years with, so we are very saddened by this loss.

Wendy was diagnosed in October with reproductive cancer that had proliferated into surrounding organs. We brought her in due to weight loss expecting that her teeth would need filing, so this was obviously quite a smack in the face. Surgery was not reccomended since the cancer had already spread beyond her uterus. This, kiddies, is why you should always spay your rabbits! I desperately wish that my mom had been more open to the idea of spaying Wendy, or that I'd insisted upon her being spayed before agreeing to take her before my move. I'm going to try not to dwell in the "what-ifs" of how this could have been prevented because it is simply too crushing. Wendy is still with us, and still as active and cranky as ever. However, she is all bones despite eating ample hay, greens, and 1.5 cups of food a day (she used to eat 1/4 cup, for reference), so we know it is only a matter of time before she is euthanized.

One very interesting thing that has happened in Wendy's weakened state is that she took a sudden and intense liking to Thanator. While we do not risk housing them together since Wendy has a history of being fairly vicious, we've butted their pens up against each other, and they spend all day lying down next to each other, touching noses, grooming each other through the bars, etc. I'm very happy to see her with the comfort of companionship in her final days.

From the above you can tell that Thanator is doing just fine and dandy. He's a spunky little guy and is really growing up to be a sweet little dude. Our initial plan was to put him, Leon, and Lucy in outdoor enclosures, but he's taken such a shine to Wendy (who definitely can't withstand winter temps in her health state) that we're keeping the two of them indoors. He's become very well litter trained and after Wendy passes, we've decided that he will be our house bunny. We will probably still let him go outside in the big enclosures during the day though, for some exercise and grazing.

Brindam is still her clever, playful self, but she is starting to show signs of her age. She is more subdued, less aggressive, less of a food hound, and doesn't keep weight on as well despite having her teeth thoroughly checked out. She is enjoying a wealth toys, however, so even if her body is starting to slow down her mind sure isn't! She is still great at the foraging toys, enthralled by her smell tube, and plows through chewing toys.

Lucy is doing great - she's put on almost all of her weight after her dental procedure and so far, her teeth are still looking good. For the cool autumn through spring months, we've decided to house her outdoors after all. Her enclosure is about 10x10, filled with toys, hiding places, and underground den to warm up in, etc. and she seems to be thriving with more space to stretch her big legs. The only thing it seems lacking in is GRASS; the former tegu enclosure was a mess of burrows and all plant life had been stomped out by the big lizards. However, I have been spreading and tilling her feces under, and even with the cold weather we're starting to see some sprouts, so I expect by spring we'll start seeing grass growing in there.

We were concerned about her getting enough attention outdoors, but there's little difference between being downstairs or outside, attention-wise. In fact, since we are out working on the farm every day, she ends up getting plenty of attention, so I really feel that she's currently getting the best of both worlds.

All of our buns have benefitted from ample fresh produce provided free by the local grocery. We are lucky enough to get massive ammounts of fresh fruit and vegetable gratis; it is all stuff that is past an arbitrarydue dateor has one blemish - in other words, perfectly fine for animals! The buns have been getting plenty of fresh leafy greens and herbs, as well as the occasional bit of fruit and veggie, and are doing dandy. I've also managed to reduce feed costs by buying their pellets 40lbs at a time online, and purchasing massive bales of timothy intended for horses.

That's all for now. Definitely a mixed bag, huh? I have video of Lucy outside in her enclosure, updates on the other critters, and much more to share, but it probably won't be for a bit with my schedule.

Latest posts

Back