Ren's WILDlife

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are a woman with an amazingly big heart, A true gem to the world, Someone who actually cares for another living creature over themselves, I have the utmost respect for you, And know you did the best in your capability for those rabbits.

When you are caring for a large number of animals, a day off from work doesn't mean a day to kick back, relax, and enjoy your hobbies. Rather, it's a day to catch up, tackle projects, and get as much done as humanly possible. I thought it would be fun to outline just part of my day yesterday - complete with some various photos of the resident critters mentioned for fun.

5:00am
I am awoken by the sound of Steve's diamond doves delivering territorial calls, and am reminded of my big project for the day: by this evening, the doves are going to be my doves. Because his room is also his workspace, and the two males call their challenges to one another non-stop, the noise has been interfering with his concentration. Since Steve graciously has been keeping my two skinks at his abode until some of my current fosters are adopted out, I agreed to take his doves such that they can still be used in his education program when needed. I leave for my house as the sun is rising.
uluru.jpg

Uluru, one of the two diamond doves.

6:00am
I am just wrapping up AM feeds. All mammals, birds, and fish are fed in the morning; reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates are mostly fed in the evening. Food prep is always a significant undertaking. The parrots need their variety of fresh, cooked, and pelleted food distributed between bowls and foraging toys. The chickens need greens and vegetables chopped and mixed with their grains and pellets. The rodents need foraging boxes stuffed with the day's treats. The rabbits need their greens and hay placed in feeding toys & racks. The fish are on specialized diets as per species, age, and medical needs; this morning, I need to thaw silversides for the wolf fish and inject them with medication for his eye infection.
asf-1.jpg

Kiamesha, one of the African Soft Furred Rats.

7:00am
Feed & water is now distributed, and the birds' cages have been cleaned. It is now time for routine health checks & medical care. Checks are most important for the reptiles and amphibians; the mammals, birds, and fish are given a look-over during feeding. I use a flashlight to seek nocturnal reptiles and tarantulas out in their hides. I turn the substrate in cockroach and millipede bins to check for humidity and any sluggish or ailing animals. Wearing gloves, I check each frog's belly for signs of impaction or infection.
cornuta1.jpg

C. cornuta, one of the species of horned frog here.

Asha, my leopard gecko, needs her bad eye lubricated; she nearly lost the eye to a bad infection upon surrender, and has trouble keeping it sufficiently moist today. I also clean and lubricate Delta's eye; the elderly mouse has a bony tumor on her face that is not yet interfering with her quality of life, but is preventing the eye from lubricating normally. The wolf fish is given his medicated meal and also has capsules of antibiotics emptied into his water. An emaciated pacman frog recently surrendered needs a force feeding; he is still too weak from deficiency to feed normally on his own. The painted frog, on the other hand, is undergoing prophylactic treatment for chytrid. The snapping turtle, a wildlife patient, has the stump where his tail was derided thoroughly and is put in freshly cleaned water.
uglyside.jpg

Asha the leopard gecko.

9:00am
After medical treatments, check-ups, and finally some breakfast for me, it is time to clean aquariums. Shelf 2, consisting of twelve fish, is due for cleaning today. The Koi's grow-out tank & the 40g clawed frog enclosure also need cleaning.
acfbun.jpg

The African Clawed Frog bin.

10:30am
I clean the chickens' pens and put them outside for some sunlight and exercise. It is finally above freezing and they enjoy a chance to stretch their legs. Both are also being treated for lice today. In the winter, they can not dust bathe to regulate lice, which are spread by wild birds and sometimes found in hay stored in pigeon-filled barns. They recently turned up with lice, so anyone driving by got to enjoy the sight of me with a rooster pinned between my legs, rubbing ivermectin powder all over his rump. By the time both birds are thoroughly coated, I'm thoroughly coated, and need a shower to remove all of the toxic dust from my clothing before working with any delicate species.
4676_185367990374_782145374_7007755_2206106_n.jpg

Nuru the rooster.

11:00am
I put the rabbits out in their runs to play while they are cleaned, then go inside to fetch the parrots. Tuesday is TV day; we have DVDs of wild parrots that the birds enjoy watching, but their room (which is also my bedroom) does not have enough space for a TV - nor do I have the money to buy one! So the birds come out into the living room to watch their videos. Unfortunately, my parrots all hate each other with a passion, so it isn't as simple as bringing them out onto their stands to watch TV as one big happy flock. All of their cages need to be wheeled into the living room!
prettybirdforage.jpg

Pretty Bird the white fronted Amazon parrot

This permits, of course, much-needed weekly cleanings of the floors and walls under and behind the cages, of course. And today, it is even more important: I need to re-arrange the room to fit a massive dove flight cage! As the birds watch TV, I assemble the doves' new enclosure and take measurements. If I place Ngala's cage on top of the budgie flight cage, there is just enough room - a perfect solution, as Ngala has grown too old to live so close to the window, anyways.

Click to enlarge. The bird room (sorry for the dark; flash didn't work); the budgies', cockatiel's, and doves' cages ; the parrots' cages

1:00pm
The parrots are back in their room and the rabbits are back in the house. Steve is on his way over with the birds for their new aviary. And me? Well I finally have a minute for lunch!
neil.jpg

Neil Diamond Dove, the other dove.

20655_463114910374_782145374_10929052_3893470_n.jpg

I've noticed a change in the rabbits' dispositions since I have started letting them out. My mother, who enjoys the rabbits, has noted this as well.

The time out of pen & run seems to have impacted them in very divergent fashions. Brindam has always been a shy, aggressive, inactive animal. In the past, she avoided human contact, was notorious for her growls and lunges whenever one reached into her pen, and earned the nickname "BrinDAMN that's a fat rabbit!" through her eagerness for food and sedentary habbits.

Since letting her out in the dining room to roam, however, we've noticed favorable changes in her behavior. She is less cranky; I don't think I've heard a grunt from her in over a week. She still prefers to avoid people when out of the pen, but when I reach into the pen, she now approaches me - without aggression - I can only assume with the expectation that she is going to be let out. Indeed she doesn't struggle when being picked up and seems more eager each day to explore the dining room.

Unfortunately, coming out has had the opposite effect on Wendy. She has been viciously territorial, highly possessive of her toys and ex-pen. She is constantly growling and lunging at anyone who tries to work with her in her pen, and scent marks constantly. I can only assume that coming out in a common area that Brindam has been in has spurred territorial instincts that are making her more possessive of her own abode.

Still, she appears to enjoy the time out and is very playful and active when loose in the dining room. She is only aggressive in her ex-pen, so there is no real issue having her out. I am willing to sacrifice her temperament in the pen for the benefits of exercise and play outside of the pen - though I sincerely wish my mom did not have such a stringent "no spay" policy over rabbits living in our home, as I suspect this would make her more pleasant in AND and out of the cage.

To end on a positive note: Brindam is losing weight finally! The combination of a better diet and more physical activity has already caused her to drop two ounces, which I know doesn't seem too impressive, but for the time period it seems like a healthy/appropriate loss (she has been "dieting" longer than I have started this blog, but the greater physical activity is a recent development). Hopefully she will soon slim down to her target weight, at which point I suspect she'll be a happier, healthier rabbit all around.

Omg that is so sad about all those bunnies! I am so glad you were able to give them love they needed and were able to save a few. ((hugs))

What a busy couple of weeks it has been!

As stated on the main boards, I was recently engaged to my boyfriend Steve. A fellow animal lover, he has three rabbits, which are mentioned in the earlier posts of this blog. One of these rabbits is Thanator, the little stray bunny I found walking dogs at my pet sitting job. He was just a tiny little baby when I last posted photos of him, and has since been growing. He's also become extremely bonded to Steve and spends much of his time out sitting on Steve's shoulder with his head snuggled under his chin. On the other hand, he doesn't seem terribly fond of me; when I pick him up, he chews, thumps his feet, and "digs" at me - behavior which immediately stops once handed off to his "dad!" At any rate, here are a few photos of the lil bugger now that he's grown up a tad:

bunny.jpg

thanator2.jpg

He's developed some lovely dark markings on his face and paws, which is super cute when paired with the white fuzz on the bottoms of his feet.

Lucy, Steve's flemish giant, has been having a busy couple of weeks. Steve has his own business, an education program for children, called Learning Gone Wild. He brings animals to groups of young people to teach them about their biology, ecology, conservation, and captive care. While Lucy isn't truly an "exotic" pet, being domesticated, she is still an excellent ambassador for bunnies, which all too often receive poor care. Business has been booming recently, and she's been to four shows in the last two weeks!

Learning Gone Wild was an endeavor that Steve started last summer due to the slack job market for Zoo Animal Technicians. He's always been passionate about exotics and has quite a collection himself, and realized that he could be using his animals to instill respect and interest from the public in such creatures. I worked with him to develop the business (including pouring hours into making all of the site graphics!) and act as one of the guest demonstrators with some of my own critters. Because I would like a career in education, it is a great opportunity to get some experience under my belt. I love teaching people about animals, so I'm quite excited that I'll be bringing some of my amphibians and invertebrates out tonight for one of Steve's shows. It may not be a typical idea of a nice night out for an engaged couple, but it's what we love to do.

My ownrabbits continue to thrive with better care. We had a minor blip when we switched to 50/50 new and old pellets as Brindam had a day of soft stools, but this was possibly more linked to the fact that I've been going heavier than usual on the greens, because after a day of just hay the issue resolved and she has since been doing fantastic. It's nice to see the old girl really coming out of her shell. She has been much more playful since we started bringing her out, and the weight is slowly dropping off. If only I could manage to get my cat to shape up his behavior and body so efficiently and effectively! (lol)

The other day when I was cleaning the rabbits, I stumbled upon an unexpected visitor in their hay. We buy hay by the bale and use it both as food and bedding for our buns, and when I pulled apart a flakeI saw a tiny flash of bright green. Concerned that it might be something synthetic, like a bit of stray plastic, I picked it up and found what I thought was a dead assassin bug nymph. I have an affinity for invertebrates and wanted to keep the body for closer inspection and ID (it's Zelus luridus from what I can gather, in case you care). But much to my surprise, as it warmed in my palm, it came to life! The poor little beast was compressed in a frigid bale of hay with no food or water for god only knows how long, and had quite a shrunken abdomen, which you can see in the photo below:

bugger.jpg

It being much too cold to set him back outside, especially in such poor body condition, I've set him up in a small case with some leaves and dirt, then called up Steve as I was out of sufficiently small cockroaches to feed the little guy. Being the stand-up fellow that he is, he stopped everything to catch me some tiny nymphs so I could feed my new little friend. He leapt on the first nymph with gusto and his abdomen is starting to fill out nicely! Should he survive to spring, I know a great release site where he can hopefully go off and make more assassin bugs.

It was a busy day to have to deal with an assassin bug. For one, I had to perform a significant cleaning on my goldfish tank and set the filter back up. The filter on my 75g goldfish tank broke two days ago, emptying water all over the floor - and the power strip running the filtration to the three tanks in the dining room! :shock:Thankfully nothing happened to our electric or our fish, and I was able to repair the filter with silicone.It made the subsequent dayswaiting for the silicone to set quite harrowing as water quality declines quickly in goldfish tanks without a strong filter - even in a large aquarium.Thankfully everyone pulled through the stress of it just fine, and because I had to clean everything so exhaustively, the tank is quite sparkling clean!

On top of that, yesterday was major cleaning + nail and beak trim day for the larger parrots. About 4-5 times per year, I take the cages outside and power wash them. They're spot cleaned every day and perch scrubbed every week, but parrots are messy critters and sometimes you just need to blast their cages. This means removing everything but the perching (with a good 20 toys in each cage, this takes a while), pulling the birds, trimming their nails and if needed beaks, then re-assembling it all. About the only bird cooperative in this process is my conure Aspen; Sami and Pretty Bird, the Amazons, hate nail and beak day with a passion and will aggressively fight me every step of the way. Sami actually flew up at my face when I tried to catch him, which could have done some serious damage!

It's all worth it, however, to see the cages beautifully clean and the toys re-arranged so that the birds get to explore their homes all over again. This also gives me time to repair toys; I don't have enough money to constantly buy new parrot toys if I want to have money left for vet bills and great diets, so I buy parrot toy parts and reconstitue old toys. There was a lot of taking apart mostly destroyed toys to save the remaining parts, then putting the pieces together to make new toys. The birds are none the wiser and very excited about all of the "new" stuff in their cages!

Well, as I've been typing this, Brindam's been running around the kitchen playing, but she's finally settling down for a rest under the table, so I think it's time to put down the laptop and go fetch Wendy for her turn out. Until next time!

Wow that Assassin bug is really nifty, This is always a good read, Glad to hear that you and Steve are engaged. Best of luck in the future.

Oh, and it occured to me that for a blog about my rabbits, there definitely aren't very many pics of them. So here's a few from Wendy and Brindam's time out today:

wendy3.jpg

Wendy hiding under the table as always - she scatters for cover the second I come into the room with the camera!

wendy2.jpg

Trying really hard to camoflage herself... and failing?

brinny1.jpg

Brindam looking slimmer already. I know you can't really tell from his pic unless you saw what a sausage she was before, but this is an improvement!

brinme.jpg

Brindam having some friendship forced on her, haha.

Aw what great photos!

And good for you for helping the assain! I can't imagine doing such a thing! lol!

[align=left]Woohoo! The LGW show was a big hit last night; the kids seemed to really love it and things just went amazingly smoothly. We've mostly done smaller groups to date, but this was a crowd of 105 - so needless to say we were a bit concerned about how the show would translate to a MUCH larger audience! Any concern was unheeded, however; everything went off without a hitch. The kids were fantastically well behaved (I love the boy scouts! So mannerly!), the critters were cooperative (well, Zule the iguana needed gloves as always - such a cranky boy), and I'm so very proud of Steve; he's really becoming a GREAT presenter. [/align]
[align=left]
20755_468555470374_782145374_10957515_5101556_n.jpg

To be fair, I'm only cranky because I hate you all.

I brought two of my critters to the show last night on top of Steve's ten since it was a big group. One of my giant african millipedes was along for the show, as was one of my horned frogs. They were both a pretty big hit even if not as visually impressive as a macaw or giant snake.

I am always nervous bringing my giant african millipedes out to the public, as there has been an import ban on them, so the ones in captivity now are the only ones one is apt to ever have. I'm glad for the import ban because they were really being terribly over-collected for the pet trade, but it still makes me very nervous about stressing the few remaining members of the species I'm apt to have the priviledge of owning!

gefen-1.jpg

Oh please, snakes have NOTHING on me!

I'm always really amused by the Q & A portion of a show with younger kids. You never know what they're going to say, so it is much more challenging to think on your feet answering a child's questions than actually deliver a presentation. One boy wanted to know, for example, exactly how long each species had been around, and had some questions/confusions about evolution. This is delicate question to address when you've presenting in a church and probably have a number of individuals there who have taught their children creationism! I was also cracked up by a little girl who kept asking "questions" that were actually comments barely related to what we were talking about. For example, during horned frog Q & A, I was informed that "Uhhhmmmm.... one time... I went fishing... and *giggle* I didn't catch ANYTHING."

22655_473448835374_782145374_10994503_1233870_n.jpg

You didn't catch anything? I never miss a meal!

Lucy was, of course, a huge hit with the kids. We had the advantage of a curtain to go behind to grab each animal at this show, so Steve played up the suspense by asking the kids if they'd ever seen a rabbit, and about how big rabbits were, etc. before pulling out all 18lbs of Lucy. Thankfully she's a very calm animal so the chorus of excited shrieks didn't bother her much. Since rabbits are domesticated we tend to talk more about the historical roles of the rabbit and how to care for rabbits, and as usual the kids (chowing down on burgers and hot dogs, mind you) were severely mortified by the thought of a rabbit "meat breed." My inner vegan always has a good smirk about this double standard. Seriously, we should find a way to breed chickens that have whiskers, twitching noses, and big floppy ears - I reckon it'd safe billions of birds! (lol)

I really with that this was a viable source of income. Althought I'm on the track to becoming a biology teacher, it would be so great to be in a career path where I can teach without all of the beaurocracy and standards, without having to prepare children for high stakes standardized testing, having all of the time in the world to answer every single question instead of rushing them on to the next topic. I really enjoy educating about animals specifically, and it's apparent that Steve does as well. Last night all I could think on the ride home was, "Wouldn't it be nice if we could just do THIS?"
[/align]

aww i always thought those milipedes were amazing and always hoped to own one. can they not breed in captivity?

They can, but right now CB babies - even tiny ones - are in short supply and rather pricey. This is because many millipedes may be owned, but not a whole lot of them are actually being bred. This may be because they aren't receiving appropriate enough care for breeding (often the case with the giant africans), the owner simply doesn't want to breed or has same-gender specimens (males seem hard to come by!) because they didn't buy with breeding in mind, etc. Another problem is that young millipedes are notoriously sensitive, meaning that out of a very large batch of newborns you may not wind up with many adults at all.

I do NOT sell my millipedes, but because I enjoy them as pets I do allow them to reproduce. My last batch of young has been successful so far, so I'm hoping I'll have plenty of big millis to enjoy when they're all grown up in a year or two. :)But until they are bigger and hardier, it makes me REALLY nervous to bring one of my only three adults out amongst the public!

I'm shocked that I'm already sitting in front of the computer again, but I'm very excited!

I went downstairs today to fetch Brindam to come out for daily playtime. Recently, she's been running to the front of her ex-pen instead of the back, because I believe she knows she is going to be let out. As I leaned over to pick her up, I saw something funny in her hay. It was pieces of Shredders, a parrot preening toy that it turns out bunnies love, scattered across the pen. There were also the pale, curved arcs of a ruined wicker ball. For a moment I was confused, because it sure looked like something had a field day wrecking some of Brindam's enrichment toys. Then I realized - OMG - BRINDAM wrecked her enrichment toys! Yes, for the first time in as long as I've had her, Brindam is really playing! Not just nosing a ball around, or chewing idly on her wicker basket, but ripping apart toys and scattering them all over the pen! The toys are hung at various heights, and it's obvious that to have wrecked the wicker ball, she had to sit up and really work at it - and she did! Oh, I'm so thrilled to see my big old girl really PLAYING!

Thats awesome, congrats!! I still remember the first time I saw Barnaby, my rescue bunny, playing. And the first time I saw him binky, I was sooo insanly happy!

Congrats on your engagement!

I just read through pretty much your whole blog. You have some amazing animals. That's awesome that Steve has found a way to turn his passion into a job, and educate others at the same time. I feel his pain about the crappy job market. I have a degree in biology, and concentrated in wildlife management, and am having a very hard time finding a job where I'll be able to do something I actually have a passion for.

hmm...thats interesting. i dont know much about them but they seem like a very interesting and different pet

Somewhat concerned as I write this entry. Wendy's water consumption has been increasing since we started her on the new diet. She used to barely finish half of a bowl in a day; lately she's been pretty much finishing the entire thing. I am hoping it is something innocuous because she is otherwise acting fine; active, alert, great looking feces, playful and tenacious as ever, and no change in body condition.

In an attempt to quell my panic, I'm reasoning that she was never a big hay eater but has recently started eating more hay, plus these pellets are higher fiber than her old ones. Perhaps she merely needs more water to match more fiber?

But seeing a rabbit drink a large ammount of water still concerns me, as my dearest rabbit Darwin died of an congenital kidney defect far before his time. Things like "!kidney disease!" and "!diabetes!" thus loom in my mind when I go downstairs for morning feeds and find a nearly empty water bowl.

Part of me wants to rush her to a vet RIGHT NOW to get a solid answer, but the other part of me realistically knows that she is severely stressed by transport; last time we had her to a vet she practically keeled over just from the stress and was LIMP by the time we got her to the office. Paired with the awful weather we're having, and the fact that she doesn't seem to be in an "emergency" state, I'm thinking I may hold off for a few more days while I research more info (this forum has been helpful!) and see if my old rabbit vet (semi-retired) will be in at all this week so I don't need to take her on a 45min car ride.

I'm going to feel preeeetty awful if she has some terminal condition and I only just recently started improving her husbandry :( I think the worst thing about having animals is having regrets about everything you did wrong when it's too late to fix it; this is why I now research for MONTHS and generally via enthusiasts' sites and orgs before even considering an aquisition. If only I'd been so prudent in my younger years!

Latest posts

Back