Remove Incisors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocoxbunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new on this website and am a proud new owner of a Netherland dwarf. I've had her for about a month now and she is almost 2 months old. Now my question and what I need advice on is are her incisors. Her bottom incisors are a crooked (I'm afraid they may get worse), she is always biting her cage which I read that biting the cage will also cause the teeth to go crooked. I took her to a vet being a new owner thinking I should get her teeth trimmed and the vet said that it will get better through time as she chews on things.

Would it be safe and ok to have her incisors removed so it doesn't cause problems in the future? Will she be able to eat normally eventually after they are removed? Do rabbits with no incisors live longer? Any other information will be appreciated. :)

Incisors can be removed and rabbits can live normally without them (just the vegetables need to be cut in smaller pieces and the like). Er... why would a rabbit without incisors live longer?
But why would you want to remove them if the vet said it was going to get better? Anyway 2 months old is really young for any kind of operation which are not absolutely necessary (especially with a tiny rabbit like a Nethie). So, if you're really concerned , you can bring your rabbit to another vet specialized in rabbits to make sure. I would leave it and go back to the vet in 2 or 3 months : if the problem disappeared, that's great and you can talk to your vet about when to schedule your rabbit's spay, if it got worse you can then ask your vet about incisors' extraction.

I was assuming that if the incisors were removed, they wouldn't have many dental problems and it will be good for the future so I thought they would live longer. Also, I didn't want to remove them now consider she is too small, just wanted to do some research and have an idea of what my options would be if there was ever a problem. I always check up on her teeth but it doesn't seem to be getting any better, it just stays normal, she is eating fine and has not had a problem yet but I'm afraid when I put her in her cage at nights, chewing on the cage will make it worse

Put cardboard in front of the cage bars to prevent chewing. She really needs to stop chewing on those bars. You can use zip-ties to attach pieces of plain cardboard to the cage areas where she chews. She will chew the cardboard too but it won't hurt her teeth and can be replaced as needed.

Just be sure she has plenty of hay at all times. The hay chewing is what is best for her teeth. A normal, healthy rabbit should not need teeth trimmed, removed or otherwise messed with.

At night, refresh her hay and also provide some tp tubes stuffed with hay as well.

Put cardboard in front of the cage bars to prevent chewing. She really needs to stop chewing on those bars. You can use zip-ties to attach pieces of plain cardboard to the cage areas where she chews. She will chew the cardboard too but it won't hurt her teeth and can be replaced as needed.

Just be sure she has plenty of hay at all times. The hay chewing is what is best for her teeth. A normal, healthy rabbit should not need teeth trimmed, removed or otherwise messed with.

At night, refresh her hay and also provide some tp tubes stuffed with hay as well.

thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to be trying that out.

Latest posts

Back