remove Cheyletiella mites and carpet??!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBuns

Reaction score
my rabbit has Cheyletiella Mites and I also have carpet I know that mites can live in carpet so how am i supposed to get them out?! Any have any ideas what I should do or what to use to avoid my bunny having them again? Oh and she also likes to sleep on my bed and I don’t want to have to throw out my blankets is it okay if I just wash them ?? Thank you in advance

I know of no great solution for removing fur mites from carpets. I had a family member that was allergic to dust mites, and I had to resort to using a chemical product. What I used was Poultry Dust, made for dusting poultry to kill mites. I first vacuumed the carpets, then sprinkled on the dust. I left it sit on the carpet for a couple of hours, then vacuumed the carpet well with a hepa filter vacuum. I repeated the process again in two weeks. Poultry Dust is Permethrin. A good idea would be to remove your rabbit from the area when and if you do this. Permethrin is one of the safer chemicals, but some rabbits do have a bad reaction to it. Some people do use it to treat rabbits, but I would rather get Revolution or Ivermectin from the vet. Poultry dust is mildly to practically non-toxic orally. It can cause mild irritation on the skin, so if I used this on my carpet, I would probably get some used blankets or sheets from the Goodwill and spread them over the carpet when I let my rabbits out, just to be safe.

Back