Red Urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutiebunny

Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed Fidget's urine to have a red coloured urine. She has been hernormal naughty self although she is nipping a bit more than usual. Ijust want to know whether it is anythingsinister. Her water is alwaysreplenished but not sure whether she is drinking enough.

Please help!!!

Rabbits don't have periods, well, not any rabbit that I have come across.

Red wee could be caused by a red food, or a red toy that has been licked.

But most commonly it could be a bladder infection, or something moreserious. It is best to get your bun to a vet who will hopefully giveanti-bios. Also, when you go, maybe try and soak up some of the urineonto a tissue, and take it with you (in a clear plastica bag orsomething) so that the vet can see exactly what you are talking about.

Did she eat any new veggies or anything likeclover lately (that always gives my boys red urine). If not,red urine is usually caused my not enough water intake. It does worryme a little that you said shes still drinking a lot and her pee isstill red. I agree, a vet visit is probably in order just to make sureshe doesnt havea bladder infection or other problem.

This is a quote from a book that i have.

Red urine is not actually a disease, but it is a common concern of mostrabbit owners. It is natural to think that red- colored urine indicatethat blood is present and somthing must be very wrong with your pet.Fortnatly, this is not usually the case. Most cases of red- coloredurine are due to the presence of a plant pigment called porphyrin.

Im not going to write out the whole paragraph so im going to jot note it.

- eating same food
- usually occures in the fall and early winter

*caution*
If urine does not retrn to its normal color, or if there are othersigns that something is wrong, you should hove your rabbits urineevaluated.

Hope this helps.. ill add more

SYMPTOMS: red-colored urine
CAUSE: usually harmless plant pigments: in rae cases blood in the urine
TREATMENT: None, unless there is blood present
PREVENTION: For actual blood in the urine: reduce the risk of trauma; spay and neuter rabbits

Tile: THE RABBIT HANDBOOK
By: KAREN GENDRON

Hope this helps!

Red urine on its own is no cause for concern,just make sure there's no straining, leaking and/ordiscomfort.The school of thought these days is thatit's just a pigmentation, although some are concernedit maybe signaling a potential problem.

Even bright red doesn't mean blood in the urine, blood appears instrings, clots or clumps.A doe may bleed from herreproductive system into the urine,though, and if the flow isheavy, itcanmake the urine appear red, so checkhervent/genitalia.

It's always a good idea to get her drinking a bit more, try a separatecrock with some well-diluted juice (I use a bit of cranberry, carrot orapple).

My guys here are regular little rainbows. :rainbow:

sas :)

It's probably completely fine- sometimes whenyou first get a rabbit or change their environment or food etc. theirpee can turn different colours. When I first got Benji his wee was thecolour of blood!! I was terrified but the vets told me it was fine- aslong as it changes back in a few days or so it should be fine,otherwise I'd DEF take him to the vets, cos it could be somesort of bladder infection or something. Not too sure..but def take himif it doesn't go in a few days.

Btw rabbits dont have periods- I think females just come into season upto about 10 times a year, but I dont think they have periods.

I knew that their urine turned red, but I didn't know why, so thanks for explaining that (to those that explained).

I guess I was overly cautious because I did have a bunny with a bladderinfection, but yeh, the others talk a lot of sense *nods*

Best to be on the safe side.

Definately a trip to the vets and them telling you it's completely okthan just assuming, and then something horrible happening to ur rabbit.

jcottonl02 wrote:
I think females just come into season up to about10 times a year, but I dont think they have periods.
Not to hi-jack a thread, and I could be wrong (so if someone wants tocorrect me, then go for it),but when a doe is mated that'swhen she releases an egg, so she is in control. If she is in the moodshe will allow herself to be mated, otherwise she won't.

So really, if the conditions feel right to the doe then I think she canrelease an egg/many eggs (which is why to get a big litter you leavethe buck and doe together for longer), so I don't think that they comeinto and go out of season, per se, but they might feel the conditionsare not right to have babies.

Does any of that make sense?

I've looked on a few websites, so that's why i thought they come into season. Just looked on one and there was this :

Rabbits come into season around every 14 days for a season that last 3-5 days

butI think you're right about releasing an egg when a buck is around, cos I've heard that too.

It's all very....well I've heard lots of things from lots of sources soI don't really know lol, but then again why would I cos my little oneis a guy :)

Never heard that before, never experienced it with ours either. They seem ready and willing, lol.

Just a note about a comment made it thisthread....rabbits do not "come into season". I haveseen many people take a visual at the femaleequipment and saythey are ready for breeding. Well...they are always readyunless they are already pregnant (of course assuming they have not beenaltered). They, like many small mammals, do not have a heatcycle like dogs or cats...or technically humans....that can conceiveonly during a somewhat brief period of time. They are"induced ovulators" which simply means that the doe will become fertileshortly after the male mounts her. Does can also conceivewithin a very short time after delivering a litter. What itboils down to is that in the wild, rabbits are low on the food chainand there is a high mortality rate. This method ofreproduction assures a sustainable population.

And a word about collecting urine for urinalysis. When youexpress a bladder onto a surface...counter top, bottle, jar, plasticbag, etc...you also get the bacteria that is on that surface which canlead to a less than accurate diagnosis. Also, some urinarytract infections contain bacteria that die when they come into contactwith oxygen....another possibility for a misdiagnosis. Thebest way to collect urineis toperform a procedurecalled cystocentesis. It involves inserting a catheter(usually a very small needle) thru the abdominalcavityanddirectly into the bladder and extracting the urine in thatfashion. This is quite necessary in some stubborn infectionsthat cultures and treatments are not getting the desiredresults. Needless to say, it takes a very skilled doctor tosuccessfully execute this procedure.

Randy

Randy thank you for explaining that, all of that.

Man, I am learning so much from you, lol.

That seems very strange....I wonder why so manywebsites and books have got it wrong.....:S Well you certainly seem toknow ur stuff- I'm sure I'll b coming 2 u if I have a problem lol!
Atleast I don't really have to worry...cos I don't have a doe.
I can see where you're coming from, about the picking up bacteria whenyou collect some of the pee, but when that happened with my rabbit, myvet (who's really good btw) told me just to get some on some tissue andbring it in, so i am sure that if someone didn't want to....have theneedle insertion thingy (eek!) then that would be an option.
U seem really knowledgable about rabbits- have you done veterinary science or something at Uni? Or are you a vet now?
Jen

There are several types of urine colours for rabbits. It's natural. It usually depends on how much they drink and ph level.
Orange and red are most common. But watch out for white chalky pee - that's a sighn of bladder/kidney issues.

Well I have some good news, her wee has turnedback to normal after a day. She does not appear to be in any discomfortand is as playful as normal.

Thank you to everyone who posted. I'm just happy that it is nothing to worry about.

Thank you again to everyone xx

No problem- lots of people have problems like that- i had the same one as you! :) Just glad we could help.

Latest posts

Back